1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Think it's time to incorporate a ball-movement offense that gets everyone Involved.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dtitus1, Dec 7, 2018.

?

Ball Movement offense or ISO ball (Preditable) Offensw?

1. Ball Movement Offense

43 vote(s)
    84.3%
  2. ISO ball (Preditable) Offense?

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  1. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

Eric Gordon mentioned last night that some of the players have to sacrifice for the offense to achieve

Will Harden buy-in to moving away from ISO-ball or minimize the ISO-ball?

will this improved the overall amount of what we get out of certain players?

Tell me what's you're thoughts on what the Offense should do .

2. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I think the team's offense clicks better when there is more ball movement prior to the shot. I'm not talking about shots taken in transition, but rather what you mean (I think). Quick ball movement that makes the opponent's defense work harder, the Rocks sometimes passing up an open look for a better look. Is that what you mean?

AroundTheWorld and charlieaustin like this.
  3. Juxtaposed Jolt

We have 3 players on this roster that can create their own shot. And half the time, EGo does something dumb with it.

The formula worked last year - Ryno, Tucker, Ariza, Luc, Green getting to their places while CP3/Harden utilized the Capela PnR to either 1) take it themselves, 2) lob it to Capela or 3) throw it out for the wing/corner 3.

It just doesn't work this year because we don't have the same players. I don't think completely switching the offense to a new system, works.

Also, if the offense was so predictable, how come they couldn't stop us last year? How come they can't stop Harden when he goes off?

IvanLCPM and dtitus1 like this.
  4. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Cleverly disguised "Fire MDA" thread...

5. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

Do you not think Dantoni is capable of create a offense that would compete or be better than ISO?

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. dtitus1

dtitus1 Member

I just think the offense gets stagnant at times. Sometimes nobody cuts when harden is just pounding the ball. I know they are not going to move away from ISO all together. I just wish we ran more sets like a 55- 45% or situational when things are falling apart to get a sure bucket.

bj3175 and snowconeman22 like this.
  7. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

Honestly no. MDA is like a power puncher in boxing. If you can take the punch, he has no plan B

bj3175 and snowconeman22 like this.
  8. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

D'Antoni is a ball movement savant. I don't think the ISO offense was his idea. I think he liked it once he saw it working.

clutchdabear likes this.
  9. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Isolation is a great tool, having great isolation players is great. You can have top offenses playing iso ball. The problem is that you are predictable, teams know what's generally going to happen, and even around iso ball, you need to keep things fresh to prevent yourself from being overly predictable from season to season.

It's rare you're going to find anyone that says "I want iso ball". In addition, one of the advantages of a more spread out offense is that keeps guys involved which can make them more willing to put in the extra effort on defense. There are some players who won't care, but there are players who it can wear on, especially when you aren't winning. Winning cures a lot of things, well, it doesn't cure them, it masks and or minimizes them, but when there's adversity, things like an iso offense become and issue.

bj3175, joshuaao, IvanLCPM and 3 others like this.
  10. YOLO

YOLO Member

if you're going to incorporate a new style of offense then you need new players first that actually fit it

11. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Do a mix of both, just like last season.

saleem and Deckard like this.
  12. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Yea, people need to watch his Suns teams, they ran a lot through Nash, but it was very different from this. He's just been playing to effectiveness, but if he had it his way, this team would push the pace far more, they would be less isolation based. This is him trying to be a "players coach"

#12 ThunderStruck, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    bulkatron and clutchdabear like this.
  13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Lmao ; Gordon should be the last one complaining . He (outside of maybe Paul) has had the most disappointing season so far .

He looks totally shot . Maybe he's possed because we offered him in a trade .... but his play now is making me want to trade him for anyone .

He jacks up SUPER long threes ... and has the worst case of butterfingers I've ever seen. Also he flails and screams every time he drives . Defensively I thought he was great last year ... but he's not playing nearly as well this season .

RudyTBag likes this.
  14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Easier said than done

15. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yup. Harden is as useless as my 5'5" brother with a mild form of osteogenesis imperfecta when he isn't dribbling the air out the ball. He is completely useless when the ball isn't in his hands.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

Do you guys remember the notorious Tmac Toronto game where he stood 4 feet behind the 3 pt line and just stood their turning an offensive possession from 5vs5 to 4vs5 and the entire BBS went into Tmac meltdown?

Harden does that every game, multiple times a game.

#16 fchowd0311, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2018
    Gorki, Crashlanded19 and joshuaao like this.
  17. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol why don't you come out and say you wanna trade Harden then??? I swear man, btw do you have any tape of him at OKC??? Sheesh it's like most of you speak without the reasearch.

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I am against sacrificing our players, or any human beings in general. But if we had to do it, then maybe Melo since he is on his way out anyway.

19. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Harden can play off the ball, he's just gotten very used to being heavily on the ball, those are different things. There would be an adjustment period, but he can certainly adjust if he had to.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

No I don't want to trade Harden. A player with Harden's peak level of skillset and dominance comes once a decade.

However his offense is very gimmicky. I want him to learn how to use variety in his offense so he doesn't become a useless warm sack of meat when the ball isn't in his hand .

#20 fchowd0311, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
    Crashlanded19, hakeem94 and HP3 like this.