1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Players that deserve criticism

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by RocketOrg, Dec 7, 2018.

1. RocketOrg

RocketOrg Member

People don’t want to bring up Tucker because he such a hardnose tough player but to me he’s one of the weak links on the team right now. He’s getting older, slower, and he hasn’t done anything offensively to contribute. Zero freaking points tonight. Zero! The other night I believe he score, what… Three. That just can’t happen. We have absolutely no power forward on the roster right now. Just a bunch a skinny short shooters that can’t hit a three.

Eric Gordon. He’s been so inconsistent this year. He’s had a few flashes of getting in the groove but his shooting from the floor is less than 35% and his 3-point shot looks terrible. What the hell happened? Not to mention he’s never had good handles and is turnover prone.

Chris Paul. This guy is obviously looking his age and exactly like someone that just got paid and decided to not give 100%. Personally I’d rather go with younger player like Conley. Of course, Morey made the mistake of giving him a fat contract, and not one damn GM is about touch it. No one, and I mean no one, wants an aging 34-year-old injury prone PG with that contract.

Ennis. Just so inconsistent and doesn’t play defense at all. Too skinny and lacks heart. He just flat out disappears at times. I can handle him coming off the bench but the Rockets need a starting SF that can bring it every night, even if it’s just 11 or 12 points a game.

Honestly, I feel bad for James Harden. He has moments where he’s taking off defensively but he’s the one guy you can count on to put points on the board, and is just about the only player with the exception of Paul they can get his own shot. It must be demoralizing to not have one damn player on the team besides Capela that can help him out, not one.

Overall, this is a poorly constructed team but together by your favorite GM Darrell Morey. He gave Paul a big contract just like he did with Ryan Anderson and He continues to give up young players in the draft picks as though they don’t matter and there’s no future. Yeah, he deserves some praise for bringing a few players it seems like you’re always a different team every year, always trying to find guys that fit into his analytics. Can anyone explain the Michael Williams-Carter signing? That dude couldn’t hit the side of the barn if his life depended on it. Someone explain why he would sign a guard that ***** less than 27% from three land when you have a coach that relies heavily on three point shooting? Given that he hired MDA you would think he would surround Harden with shooters. Of course, when you run out a team full of 6’5” that can’t players you also have to have shoot or rebound then you need some length, which this team is sorely lacking.

#1 RocketOrg, Dec 7, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2018
  2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and some of it is coaching.

I am not seeing an offense being run nor a defensive scheme

Rocket River

Riz and daywalker02 like this.
  3. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Least we signed Gary Clark nom sayin.

hakeem94 and Zboy like this.
  4. riko

riko Member

Harden hasn’t shown up on a consistent fashion

Paul is a mess and there is no hope in sight unless we get a consistent second option that would push him to a more suitable 3 red option at this stage of career

Gordon. terrible

Capela playing better as of late

Ennis all I can say at least he tries hard.

5. Vivi

Vivi Member

Personally i will say this, the players i don't think deserve criticism are those you can still see busting their ass off even when the game is basically over so, PJ, Capela, maybe Ennis and Gerald...Nene tries but i think he's just done at this point. Let's say that i don't see the leaders running after guys when we're down 25, i don't know if or how much injuries are a factor here but still...i'm also growing a bit tired of excuses, "tired legs" etc...

RocketRed84 and CapelaOnlyFan like this.
  6. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Man, I just looked at the box score to see Clint only had 1 defensive rebound tonight. He can't let that happen.

RocketRed84 and daywalker02 like this.
  7. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There’s no heart or a champion going on here

J Sizzle likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

P.J Tucker and Eric Gordon should be traded, Gordon it seems mentally traded or waiting to be traded, he doesn't feel like Rocket. P.J isn't a Offensive Contributor. 0 points 3 Rebs, 3 points 5 Rebs. Lol Mike lives and dies with bad production.
    7 guys need to be traded
    Tucker
    Gordon
    Knight
    Ennis
    Nene
    Chriss
    MCW

RocketRed84 likes this.
  9. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

I think we'll need an overhaul of our offense over time. It looks like our current system is gonna wear out all of CP3's hammies until we got none left. It just looks like we're trying our best to almost literally reproduce what we did last year that made us successful to a point where their gameplay looks completely unrecognizable. Everyone looks so unsure of what to do. Harden and CP3 look like the only way to win is if they double-down on iso plays, more so than last year. There's no creativity. It looks as if we've added absolutely nothing to our offense, and teams have already gameplanned for last year's scheme. They need to reinvent themselves, maybe not completely but grab onto some identity so they can actually "run as one". While the creative side of the ball was lacking tonight and I blame the coaches for this, I also think Harden just needs to know when to kick it into high gear and force his way to the bucket. Drive and force some call from the refs. Utah was showing their hands really well but it should theoretically lead to more blow-bys. I'm really tired of these refs blowing the whistle on our guys for "freedom of movement" fouls, but our guys aren't doing a good job of adjusting to it and making the other team pay likewise. It seems every team can get away with flopping and drawing a few fouls here and there, enough to actually get our guys into foul trouble. Our guys need to do the same. PJ Tucker is the perfect example because his defense is tailor-made for the playoffs. But I think I've seen majority of his foul calls be from the "freedom of movement" type. I think the vulnerabilities to our team originate internally from coaching down to the players' in-game mentality and also externally from our inability to adjust to the rule changes. They really need to address this so they can move on and play a defense that conforms to these rule changes - a system that the players can believe in.

watashi315 likes this.
  10. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

Should've traded Tucker and EG for Butler. Tucker is 34 and only getting older.

The only sad part about this season is Harden will be blamed for everything by non-Rockets fans and the national media. There is no Dwight Howard this time around to get the blunt of the hate so Harden will have to endure it himself. Hope he's using that $$$ to cry himself to sleep.

Honestly, if Harden cared about his legacy, he should've bolted for GSW last time his contract was up like that b**** KD. It seems like KD is praised these days by the media after winning a couple of fake rings.

11. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Harden doesn't have enough help.

He deserves criticism too. His turnovers are out of control and the defense looks pretty pathetic. His assists are down to plus his shooting his lowest% at the rim (still good at 60%j

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  12. bmelo

bmelo Member

Basically I didn't like 100% any of his moves except not matching Ariza and resigning Capela. And now they try to fight through it which is another mistake if they cant get their **** together by the deadline... Just clean the house and grab some contributor via draft we aint winning **** this year. BTW someone explain me why we playing SF Tucker on PF spot, and SG Ennis on SF spot? They are undersized for positions they play on our team

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Players that deserve criticism ?

All Of Them.

J.R. and raining threes like this.
  14. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

How is this even possible

Rocket River likes this.
  15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

The Freedom of Movement era of the NBA has turned a lot of Rockets into pumpkins.

16. farhen

farhen Member

All you ever saw was 99% of it is harden's fault

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Uhh, leave Tucker out of this. He was part of the trade rumors and instead of folding like a beach umbrella, he is having his best shooting year with the same defense. He had a bad game. If anything, he is not getting enough shots.

As for who deserves criticism, the answer is basically everyone but Tucker and Capela. But when the problem is systemic and every facet is failing (defensive and offensive execution, consistency, intensity) then you hold the leaders primarily accountable. Meaning: Tilman, Morey, MDA, Harden and Paul. All of them have a hand in this and maybe only Morey can say he had no choice but we don't know that for a fact.

joshuaao, Vivi and saleem like this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Can you explain that rule for me. I don't get it, it's made the refs more subjective.

19. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

The lack of size has really started to hurt the Rockets this season.

Rockets have too many compounding issues. Poor depth, lack of size, foul too much, poor defensive rebounding, turnover prone.

1 or two of those things you can make up for, but when you are trying to make up for so many deficiencies, that's hard.

Rocket River and bmelo like this.
  20. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

"NBA referees had been told to enforce rules when a player impedes the progress of another player. The league wants to eliminate holding, grabbing, pushing, shoving, wrapping and making contact when a screen is set."

This does affect the ability to maximize a switching defense and also makes offense with more off ball movement more favorable to so much isolation.