1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

First gene-edited babies claimed in China

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by robbie380, Nov 25, 2018.

1. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

The issue isn't the FDA. It's the insurance companies. Look, I could come up with a cure for cancer tomorrow, but if the tests and the procedure are not bill-able in ways that are amenable for insurance companies the process won't get picked up and used. They dictate how we develop drugs and diagnostics. It's crazy.

Rocket River and CCity Zero like this.
  2. Agent94

Agent94 Member

3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

tinman likes this.
  4. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

6. Buck Turgidson

I don't care if you take this Brit expat seriously or not, but it's a fun listen (from 6 months ago) (FYI there is probably what some consider naughty language)

7. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I’ve been saying this for years. China has Dinosaurs, like real life ****ing dinosaurs somewhere. They give no ****s about morals or tampering with nature.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’d go to Jurassic Park.

9. droxford

droxford Member

Ask yourself these questions...

Do you think Russia (or China, for that matter) would use CRISPR Cas9 today to genetically alter humans for the purpose of creating a superior olympic athlete?

Do you think they would refrain from doing so today, simply because it's untested or immoral?

Do you think it's possible/probable that they have secretly done so already?

10. Pizza_Da_Hut

Yes, no, and yes. I also wouldn't be shocked if we already started doing that.

The army researched telepathy/telekinesis as a means of attacking enemies, you think superhumans are off the table?

Superhumans don't scare me nearly as much as super viruses would. Viruses that can program themselves in our bodies, like AIDs, and exist for generations. Tin foil hat like for sure, but someone has already thought about this, I gotta believe that.

11. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

What about super virus carrying super dinosaurs? Does that scare you?

12. Pizza_Da_Hut

#92 Pizza_Da_Hut, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    Nook and B-Bob like this.
  13. PhiSlammaJamma

I'm ok with all of this.

Although I love sport, the whole concept of it is convoluted. Steroids took out the physical part. genetic editing will remove the intellectual part. And it's done. The idea of competition altogether removed from our equation. And so be it. We'll become gods. The only way to sport would be to add dampeners so that people can bet on it. Let's take away Canseco's arm and see if he can beat a one legged A-Rod for example. So we either divy out who gets to do what ( is that Superman ) or we are all just freaking gods with really nothing to do anymore except try to create little egos that will expand our current status I guess. I don't see it as a moral dilemma. It's just life. We get better and we move on. To be honest, if one country expedites the delivery of superhumans or giant wolves, they win. And they win because they are the superior life form. It's that's simple. And if it's alien, the humans no longer earned the right to exist unless we prove to be useful to some superior being. It's always been this way. Humans just think it ends with us, which it could, but we won't be human in the way we currently think of it. We'll be dinosaurs. Which begs the question if the Ted Williams exhibit at human park will have a head or not. And I don't know. But I think to be historically accurate the park owner will need to have both.

#93 PhiSlammaJamma, Dec 6, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  14. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[CNBC]Scientist who created the world's first 'gene-edited' babies sentenced to 3 years in prison

KEY POINTS
    • A Chinese court sentenced the scientist who created the world's first "gene-edited" babies to three years in prison on Monday.
    • He Jiankui, then an associate professor, said in November 2018 that he had used gene-editing technology to change the genes of twin girls to protect them from getting infected with the AIDS virus in the future.
    • The backlash in China and globally about the ethics of his research and work was fast and widespread.
    Full text at the link.

Glad he was held accountable. Also glad he wasn't executed, as I had seen speculated.

15. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Considering there was a bigger uproar over a tweet from a private citizen In another country liking a post while twitter is banned in China, I think it’s safe to say—the only unethical things are the ones they’re told to think are

Nook likes this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

LMFAO He got in trouble for opening his mouth.

Gene edited babies are certainly not off the table for the CCP.

Death of individual people means nothing to the CCP

Xerobull likes this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"