1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Haberstroh Podcast] Morey: "Slam me. I deserve to be slammed."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Dec 4, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. Nook

Nook Member

Rather than "slamming you", why don't you just fix the problem? The issues right now are not overly complicated and not overly difficult to fix.

The only reason (and it is speculation) that I can think of for why Daryl hasn't fixed the problem is that:
    1. Daryl isn't so sure he wants to give up a #1 pick when his team is sub .500%;
    2. Daryl is still holding on to the fantasy that a star player will be available;
    3. Ownership isn't letting him trade for role players.

Daryl works hard and is very smart........ but at this point the players and fans deserve an explanation as to why the Rockets have turtled and done nothing.

3. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Now he's patronizing us.

4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I told a lot of Morey apologists here that Morey would not defend his only mistakes like they do. He made mistakes. He admits them. And he usually is very willing at fixing, or at least minimizing the damage of his mistakes rather than stubbornly holding on.

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

What I like about him most is that he is introspective and truthful.

DD

6. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The main issue is that CP3's salary almost doubled and his production has almost dropped by half. Unless CP3 regains his form, we are screwed for the remainder of his contract.

7. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Word.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

9. CK Johnson

CK Johnson Member

Puny GM.

c1utchfan925 and ApacheWarrior like this.
  10. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, i mean, if Chris production is going to be this for all the season we're simply screwed. If that's the case i don't even see the point of moving picks for a role player, because that alone isn't going to turn us into a contender.

11. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

While I thought that Harden, CP3 and Gordon would be the best 3 man back court in the league for a few years, the way CP3 and Ego are playing this year, one of our top priorities this year has to be a competent backup to CP3 to extend his career and try to keep him healthy; because of that contract we just gave him. There are even vets that we could have picked up to play an extra 10 or 12 minutes a game.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. Nook

Nook Member

His production hasn't dropped by half.

He is averaging 17/8/4 and last year averaged 19/8/5.

The Rockets are 11-7 in the games he has played.

The sample size is small.... and the biggest difference between this year and last years version of Chris Paul is that last year the Rockets had other players that could pick up the slack so loses like last year stick out more.

13. Homey the Clown

True and that shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. We were just the unlucky team to catch him on his last big contract. The Clippers dodged a bullet. He's playing hurt even when he's healthy.

14. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Or perhaps there has been nothing that would be worth a 1st or even 2nd round pick to trade for?

I mean it took 2 (TWO) second round picks and a solid rotation player for the j*zz to pick up an aging and defenseless Kyle Korver... if that's the type of player we can nab on the market, atm, I say stand pat and wait.

There's no reason to act in desperation, unless it's for a guy like Jimmy B with 4 first round picks being thrown at potential trade partner.

#14 FLASH21, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    napalm06 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

This should of ALWAYS been a top priority, it has been extremely obvious.

Chris Paul is 32 years old and hasn't played more than 61 games in three years. The Rockets even cut his minutes last year. Chris Paul is worth his contract to the Rockets, but he needs to play 28-30 minutes and not back to backs. The Rockets need a back up point guard that is competent and capable of running the team. Someone like Tony Parker, DJ Augustin, Devin Harris or Corey Joseph would be ideal.

Chris Paul's primary value is in the playoffs.

16. Nook

Nook Member

Korver was dealt for two second round picks and the Jazz were fixated on him.

I'm not in the room with Daryl Morey, so I don't know what the exact cost is. I have a few friends that are close enough to mention names, etc.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I give him the rest of the year to prove he still got it but I think it will be a mixed outing.

He is not completely done but his old age and injury proneness will impact whatever greatness is still left in the tank.

Also the freedom of movement will let younger players eat him alive more and more.

18. Vivi

Vivi Member

Jazz traded two 2nd rounders for Korver, not 1st rounders. They would've been crazy to trade 1st rounders for Korver lol.

However, i thought the same about the market right now, our only assets are basically 1st rounders, and as today i'm not sure i would move a 1st for a player that has no guarantee to make this team better, i'd rather wait for the buyouts with the hope Ariza wants to be back and keep a potential lottery pick, no way i'm giving that up for a Stanley Johnson or a Carroll. Bazemore probably makes more sense, but Hawks apparently wanted more than a 1st rounder this summer...now, i like Bazemore, but i'm not sure replacing Ennis with him would make that big of a difference, not sure he's worth this pick...if not more.

The situation really sucks cause i have no doubt that Chris can still play at his best, but those injuries are really a pain in the ass...especially after last night i bet he's playing on an injury again, and i mean, if he can play at 100% in 33% of the games well...we are screwed. I trust Chris, but i mean, if he's injured he's injured, waiting all the season would be such a waste...14th pick or 1st round exit like in 2015/16...ugh, not a fan. I'd rather wait until January/February and see if the guys can turn the corner and be somehow competitive, if that's the case well, make a trade and try to get something good in the buyout market. But if the situation remains the same as today, just pull a Memphis, sit Chris for the rest of the season, try to get out of the tax if possible, and get the best pick you can.

#18 Vivi, Dec 4, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2018
    HP3 likes this.
  19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I bet he is. Remember what Tilman said before the season. "If we don't make it the the WCF I'll need a new GM".

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The numbers are facially similar, but he isn't anywhere near as efficient. His FG% is a career worst. While he's still shooting a respectable percentage from 3, it's the worst 3-pt % he's had in well over a decade.