1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets need to sign Bruno ASAP!!!!

Discussion in 'Rio Grande Valley Vipers' started by basketballholic, Nov 26, 2018.

1. basketballholic

.....before another team strips him away from us.

I told you about Whiteside. I told you about Boban. Now I'm telling you about Bruno.

Bruno is ready. He's matured. He's improved his skill set. And the best part is he's found himself in our system.

He's going to be a solid NBA player. He's ready for an NBA rotation right now. And he's still got upside to explore. This is the ideal time to get him locked down for 3 years on a super cheap deal.

Small ball 5/4. Great switching defender. (I love his defense.) And offensively he's finally been put in a place where he's not handling the ball very much on the perimeter. In our pick and roll/pop he can either roll to the rim effectively or pop out for the 3. This is the ideal skill set we're looking for at the 5.

He's a better player than Hartenstein at this stage of their developments. Better defender on switches, more versatile, better shooter, much better hands, better in traffic and finishing.

He's a better player than Ennis. And he's a better small ball option at the 5 than Clark. (I think he's probably a better player than Clark and will show than when he gets rotation minutes.) And as much as I like Zhou's potential, I think Bruno is even more ready than Zhou.

If we do not sign him some other team is going to and we'll regret it.

Recent highlights. Watch.his.defense!

https://youtu.be/wJUhQDsYIfI

I realize were holding a roster spot open for a possible imbalanced trade that hopefully will occur on or before Dec. 7, but once we get to that week continuing to Dec.15, we've got to sign him

#1 basketballholic, Nov 26, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 26, 2018
  2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

You're telling us about a First Round Pick, with 4 yrs of NBA play, like you discovered him?

I very much hope he can help, but it's not like you are discovering someone.

Basically, Ujiri has much more experience with him than you do. And he dropped the kid in his 4th year in just a few months of watching rookie Anunoby play. And Ujiri tried to get him to play PF, too, but Saikim beat out Caboclo on that front, too.

That's a lot of minutes at two positions that Caboclo was given the opportunity to fill, and he failed miserably ... just last year.

His preseason showed me complete lack of BBall IQ, was slow on defense, and was very confused on executing Picks and Rolls -- when to slip and when to stick the pick then roll.

#2 heypartner, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. basketballholic

No I'm telling you about a first round pick that busted and wasn't signed, wasn't in the NBA, that we picked up off the scrapheap..... and found his right position while he found himself in the right system for his skill set.

I'm telling you he's ready and he's a bargain on a minimum salary and we need to sign him before another team does.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I was hoping he'd be a good backup 5 for us, but he looked so bad when he got on the court. Looked nervous, like it was the first time he's ever stepped on an NBA court.

Hopefully he has his confidence now. I haven't watched him since we let him go.

Based on what I saw from him this year on the Rockets I wouldn't want to sign him. But, our bench is a joke right now so why the hell not. We're at or near the bottom in bench categories as it is so even if Bruno sucks we don't have that much room to fall.

D-rock likes this.
  5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

It may be a sign of the apocalypse but I'm with the 'holic on this one, though my endorsement is more muted than his ASAP.

Bruno has shown the talent with RGV that made him a draft night gamble 4 years ago. All of the games are archived on the website for viewing and when he plays his role he has been a plus. His problem - much like when Whiteside was with RGV - BB IQ, maturity, consistent effort, and a knack for pouting. When things don't go his way he disengages and pouts, though this can fade with maturity.

That said, I wish he was at least on a two-way contract so we could keep him close and immersed in our system.

Edit: he has looked better at C the last 2 games than SF/PF where he has seen more action early

#5 Rashmon, Nov 29, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2018
    jcf and D-rock like this.
  6. heypartner

Thanks for the link. Might watch some full games...I did watch the condensed OKC game ... his defense is still lacking, imo. He's definitely hitting his threes. That's definitely good.

I've been watching some highlights of the guys he's been guarding. There's a lot of blow-bys, and lazy moments. And Davis just manhandled him at center.. Put them here

Rockets waive Bruno Caboclo

Rashmon likes this.
  7. heypartner

@Rashmon

I can't play the archives of games that were aired on ESPN+, only the Facebook ones. Can you play that last OKC game or the Maine game?

8. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

No. Apparently not all of them are free...

[​IMG]

Edit: hadn't realized there was even a difference till you pointed it out. Thanks.

#8 Rashmon, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    heypartner likes this.
  9. basketballholic

Yeah, he sucks defensively.........

........NOT!

This dude is disrupting everything in the defensive paint. Sign him. 3 years.

D-rock likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm glad Bruno is making some progress, but I think he needs to rebound the ball and show that he can run faster while maintaining his stamina before getting a chance with the Rockets. I think his shotblocking isn't good enough at this time for the NBA. If P/R is too hard for him, then pick and pop is what he needs to work on. He needs to get stronger too, but I'm in favor of giving him Zhou's spot on a 2 way contract now.

#10 saleem, Dec 23, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  11. saleem

This question is related to Chriss since he is also a PF. Is he precluded from playing in the G-League because of his NBA duration experience?

12. basketballholic

Here's some run faster for you. LOL

Bruno and Harty are very entertaining to watch. They're jelling. And playing faster. You'd have to be blind not to see this.

We need to get the melo/Knight/mcw trade done so we get sign House and get this guy plugged in on a two way or somebody is going to steal him right out from underneath us.

#12 basketballholic, Dec 27, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2018
    D-rock likes this.
  13. saleem

I'm fine with having Bruno on a 2 way.

D-rock likes this.
  14. saleem

BimaThug has clarified that Bruno does not qualify for a 2 way anymore because he has been in the NBA for 4 years. I don't think he is good enough for a guaranteed contract right now.

D-rock likes this.
  15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Chriss is still eligible for G-League assignment.

D-rock likes this.
  16. saleem

Good to know that. Thanks Bima.

17. edwardc

edwardc Member

That's where he belongs he has done nothing for the team even on days that Nene can't play he has done nothing.

saleem likes this.
  18. saleem

@ApacheWarrior @Mathloom @DaDakota
    Can Cam Oliver be signed on an upcoming 10 day contract by the Rockets? I don't know if Philly has him on a 2 way contract.
    He doesn't give much defense, and is a fair rebounder at best, but he is physical, and explosive with a nice touch and some spacing. He seems to be more motivated now with Delaware.

D-rock likes this.
  19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

My understanding is Cam is not on a two-way contract nor on the 76ers roster.

He is available for an NBA team off the Delaware Blue Coats roster. But he is shooting 27% from 3-pt line in 21 games.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  20. saleem

That's too bad. I have more faith in him than Bruno even though the latter is a better shooter. I wouldn't mind giving either one a 10 day contract, but Cam is much stronger and is more athletic too.

Thanks as always Apache.

ApacheWarrior likes this.