1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Rumor] Texans have talked to Kingsbury

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Two Sandwiches, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'm hearing a rumor from my brother, from a source that he seems to believe, that the Texans have talked to Kliff Kingsbury. I don't know if I believe it, but I do feel like it'd be a great, mutually beneficial relationship.

Take it with a grain of salt, I just thought it'd be interesting weekday fodder.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I have a really hard time believing that they'd force an OC on BOB during an 8 game win streak but I would love to believe it.

Also, they have exactly opposite offensive ideologies in that BOB thinks you need a run game to set up the occasional pass and Kingsbury has been pretty much all about the air raid

#2 Bobbythegreat, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

That spread'em out, air it out garbage doesnt work in the nfl. So, if they were talking to Kingsbury, I could only hope theyd be talking to other candidates.

Also, from what Ive seen, Kilff is dedicated to his alma mater to make it successful. Of course, Saban was dedicated to LSU, Les Miles to OK St, and so on and so on......

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  4. Champs

Champs Member

Why wouldn’t they? KK is a brilliant offensive mind. Its most likely for a temporary consulting position if anything. This happens more than you think.

vince likes this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Interesting

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

Andy Reid disagrees. Yeah I know it's not quite the same. But it's close. Anyway, this would only work with HEALTHY playmakers; something the Texans are struggling with right now.

You do know that Kliff got fired, right?

7. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Wuuuuut...? Did not know, and pretty dumb of Tech imo. I dont see them getting anybody as good as he was(even though he was mediocre to above average).

8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Kliff would make the Deshaun v Mahomes debate interesting

HstnSprtsFan101 likes this.
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

You know Kliff got canned right?

10. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Kliff’s name has been mentioned all over the place. NFL, UNC, USC, etc...But honestly doubt this is true. On a 8 game win streak, philosophy couldn’t be more opposite, and doubt Cal is at a point where he’d give an okay for something like this.

Rudyc281 and mishii like this.
  11. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I think this would be interesting if we brought him in as an offense consultant. He could help with some passing schemes and would also be a great source of intel on Mahomes tendencies if we have to play them down the road.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  12. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Bring him on as a consultant with the expectation of taking over as OC next year

edwardc, bilaal14, Wattafan and 3 others like this.
  13. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This would be the most likely scenario in my opinion.

I agree with Bobby and those that say not to ruin a good thing, and that he has an opposite mindset to O'Brien. That's why I don't technically believe it, either.

But I think it would be a great opportunity for Kliff himself to learn a more traditional offense, especially if he wants to advance his coaching career. Also, O'Brien wouldn't need or want him to do a lot initially.

I like the idea, but I think it is more speculation. Just thought it was an interesting topic.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

O’Brien is a fairly young coach. He has shown he is innovative with the designs of the offense last year and some this year with Watson.

Remember O’Brien and his NASCAR offense? Remember O’Brien and chip kelly where/are close. He has a pulse of what’s going on. People might not want to admit it either but O’Brien loves to push the ball down the field.

So having said that I don’t think we have “talked” with Kliff but I could see something about a formal meeting in the off season. Don’t forget about Wes either or Sean Ryan.

15. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

How is he with clock management? We need a clock management guru

Duncan McDonuts, red5rocket and today like this.
  16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Why would they talk to him about next year now? My guess is that they're picking his brain, and seeing if he'd be willing to help consult for the rest of this year.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  17. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If true, intel, more than any offensive input he might provide, could be (and should be) the driving reason. Frankly, this is Luhnow-level thinking. I hope it IS true.

Rudyc281 and Shark44 like this.
  18. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was drafted by the Pats! BO'B wasn't there at the time, but maybe it helps :D

19. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Would 100% be behind a move to bring in basically ANY creative offensive coordinator, especially if he thinks differently about the game than OBrien. I hate the way OBrien runs his side of the coaching staff and I think the offensive is pretty bland most of the time.

That said, I don't buy this at all. OBrien has control over his staff, doesn't think he needs an OC and likes to promote guys up through the ranks after he's hammered them. Sean Ryan is basically the OC without the title or any of the playcalling duties.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  20. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I think it would be a good idea and the added benefit of some Mahomes intel would be helpful. Of course he wouldn't be able to implement a full spread offense in the NFL...but he could come in now and get comfortable with the offense and the players while preparing some changes to integrate next season.

Rudyc281 likes this.