1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I definitely wouldn’t feel great about that deal, but I probably make it, because not only do you get the only current superstar player at a position, you keep him off of another contending team. I’d feel a lot better about it if it were 3 of those guys instead of 4. At that point I think it becomes a pretty good deal.

Nook likes this.
  2. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Did you read the article? It does a pretty good job of explaining the hypothetical logic behind Miami’s asking price. Realmuto is a star player; in fact, he’s probably the only legitimate star catcher in the league. That’s a significant advantage for whichever team get him. Those 4 prospects are a steep price. But 1 Top 30 prospect plus 3 fringe Top 100 guys isn’t a death blow to a farm that has consistently churned out those fringe Top 100 types. When you factor in the Realmuto is going to net a draft pick when he reaches free agency, and that Houston is going to get several extra draft picks this year and next as their QO free agents leave, it’s easy to justify. That said, I certainly don’t think it would be wise to trade potential core guys (Tucker/Whitley) for a 2 year player.

3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I would rather the Astros sign Grandal or Ramos than pay the price for Realmuto. In fact, I would rather sign someone like Suzuki or LuCroy over paying the prospect price for Realmuto. Then make up the offense with a DH and an outfielder. The Astros most likely lost Keuchel and Morton. McCullers won't be back until 2020 and who knows what he will look like at that point, and after next season Verlander and Cole are probably gone. The Astros can't afford to trade James, Whitley, Perez, Bukauskas, Valdez,or Martin. We need to throw them all in there and see who can hang.

4. AznH-TownFan

AznH-TownFan Member

If I have to trade away my 3-4 top 15 prospects for 1 player, I’m hoping we would get someone like Kluber, Snell or DeGrom to add to current pitching staff and safety net just in case we can’t re-sign JV or GC.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect teams are quicker to adapt, but all things considered they are better than not having them regarding discussions. I expect some teams are a lot different. I expect some teams are pretty similar. Fangraphs prospect guys, for instance, appears to judge things very similar to the White Sox, but do not seem to rate things similar to the Astros. When Fangraphs had the KATOH system, it was funny how the analytical system almost always rated Astros prospects (Martes being a notable exception) higher than their prospect guys.

#505 Joe Joe, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Brantley is an interesting target. He has a 6.5 fWAR season on his resume (2014), rarely strikes out, is an acceptable defensive LF, and can probably handle CF/1B in a pinch. Of course it will all boil down to cost. At <$12M/yr for 3 years or less, I love him. But if his total contract value goes over $40M, I’m not that big of a fan given his age and recent injury history.

awc713 likes this.
  8. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Brantley seems like a perfect Luhnow target. I'd be on board as well, to be our primary LFer, who will also add a consistent onbase presence to our lineup.

He and Reddick are probably a little redundant, with Brantley a more consistent offensive player and Reddick better defensively. Perhaps since this is Reddick's last year, the plan is for Brantley to take over Reddick's role for a few years after he leaves? Works for me.

9. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Brantley would be a perfect fit. For LF.
    Sign him Up fast .

I wouldnt mind Grandal either just at the Wright price.

I honestly still believe they need more power at 1B and DH

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Extrapolating from rumorville so far:

C: Ramos, Maldonado, or Realmuto
    Bat: Cruz or Brantley
    SP: ???

11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I dont think its or on Cruz and Brantley
    I think its Cruz DH Brantley OF
    They could very get both.

I also believe the reason you dont hear Pitcher names is because itll be VIA trade.

And that rumor is Jon Gray from the Rockies

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

If they sign Brantley, I have to assume that means Kyle Tucker's days are numbered?...

13. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

I wouldn't necessarily think so, as we would still need a longer-term solution in the OF. Reddick's days are numbered, and probably won't be around after this upcoming season. So for 2019, our OF would be Brantley, Springer, and Reddick, and then for 2020-2021 it would be Tucker, Springer, and Brantley.

But to your point, I've always felt getting a talented OFer was always easier than a stud pitcher or a talented catcher (Realmuto). So adding OF talent and depth certainly makes it easier to trade Tucker.

Nook likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

No, I wouldn't assume that. There will likely be at bats from the DH position as well as some possible shifting around with Gurriel playing more of a Gonzales role.

Everyone wants to write off Reddick, but he is one year off of an .850 OPS.

Another possibility (but less likely) is that Tucker is routed in a trade for a starting pitcher..... but that would be out of character for the Astros.

15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I would not mind platooning Reddick next season. The better Reddick performs, the less he platoons.

Nook likes this.
  16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

This comment makes me think Donaldson, Cruz, or Goldy as it will take a big bat and faith in White (or 2 big bats) to move Gurriel to the Marwin role.

On Reddick, defense is a young man's game. While, he will still likely be capable of playing right in 2 years, I don't expect the Astros will want Springer in center in 2020. If Tucker hits, I see Reddick being the odd man out in 2020, and I doubt Astros want that much money as the 4th OF.

Nook likes this.
  17. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I think the Astros could go a bunch of different ways depending on where they spend the bigger money. I expect them to sign a 12-15 million dollar a year player either at catcher, outfield, or DH. I do not expect them to sign 2 positional/DH players that cost that much unless they make a trade for a lower cost starter or reliever. They have to add to the rotation. Plus, if you move McHugh back to the rotation you lose a key arm in the bullpen that may need to be replaced. I suspect the Astros only have 35-40 million to spend via free agency or additional salary in trades. They have 55 million coming off the books from their free agents leaving, but they also have about 20 million in arbitration increases. I'm not sure how much flexibility Crane will give Luhnow to increase the payroll.

Reddick is signed through 2020. If he has a another year in 2019 like he did in 2018 I don't see how the Astros would be able to move that salary.

Nook likes this.
  18. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

Goldy would be the ideal target, because he can just be penciled in at 1st base and the 3/4 hole. The question is what is the cost of someone that is a 5 WAR player with one year on his deal? How much does it bother the Astros that Verlander, Cole and Goldy would all be free agents at the same time?

As for Donaldson, would be sign a two year deal? How much does he have left? What is his cost?

Cruz is still highly productive but he slowed down a bit, and he cannot play the field. Is he going to cost less? Will he take a 1 year type deal like Beltran?

I agree with you on Springer, we saw rely on Marisnick a lot in center because he wanted a real centerfielder.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  20. Nippystix

Nippystix Member

Dang, Reddick is signed through 2020, so 2 more years under contract? I thought it was just one more, ouch. It's not the end of the world, and he won't be an anchor or anything, but it is also not ideal.

everyday eddie and mario elie like this.