1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anyone Else Annoyed By Certain Sounds People Make?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Kruze10, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I feel like I'm alone in this but there are several sounds people make, usually people I work closely with or share an office with, that irritate the hell out of me. In my last job, the girl that sat next to me would huff and puff when she was angry or frustrated, which was often. She also would read out loud, but not necessarily loud, I could hear it but it sounded like she was speaking in parseltounge or like she was summoning the devil. Not to mention her chewing sounds, which almost caused me to quit.

I would ask my other co-workers, who sat nearby if they were bothered by any of it and they never even noticed.

Is this just a me problem or has anyone else had this happen to them? I'm having issues at my new job too where my co-worker drinks water really loud. Even with my headphones on I can hear it.

I hate that it bothers me because most of these people are nice and don't mean to be annoying, its why I've never actually brought it up to them.

2. conquistador#11

I'm always embarrassed when my stomach growls. If I can hear it, they can too?

3. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

That doesn't bother me really. My co-workers never bring food and wait until the last minute to eat so I hear stomach growls constantly, yet it doesn't bother me as much as like mouth sounds.

4. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I still say the worst sound ever is listening to people clip their nails at work in an open cubicle environment. Really? You want to groom yourself...go do it either at home or in the bathroom. Nobody wants to hear the noise of nail clippers snapping while picturing chunks of your nails flying off into the trash can. It's just gross. Use your f-ing brain!

Fyreball and KingCheetah like this.
  5. Gdaliya

Gdaliya Member

I get you, chewing and drinking sounds bothers me and that's a bit of a problem since i work in the food industry.

Also whispering kinda bother me.

Kruze10 likes this.
  6. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I work in a pretty quiet environment. So when the guy next to me starts humming along to the music he's listening to, I find it extremely annoying.

KingCheetah likes this.
  7. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

My old co-worker would whisper sing her songs, it would drive me crazy. If you're going to make sounds, might as well just sing.

8. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Chewing gum with mouth open. Nothing raises my blood pressure like the repetition of someone chewing their gum like a cow chewing cud.

Kruze10 likes this.
  9. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

The guy in the office next to me has allergy issues and is constantly "sniffing" which bugs me to no end after listening to it all day long......get some dam medicine or see a doctor.

body slam, KingCheetah and sammy like this.
  10. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

I used to work at a cosmetics company and the women their would constantly cut and file their nails at their desks.

11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I clip my **** in my office. I'm not doing that at HOME, I'm doing it on company time, like when I post here. I don't want nail chunks in my house. They vacuum here every night. Using my brain.

12. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

There is a guy a few offices down from me that literally spits up a loogie every day. I think he smokes a lot or something. It's infuriating, especially if I am on a call.

13. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Not fer nuthin'....

Nook likes this.
  14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Chewing loudly annoys the hell out of most people. I figure the ones that aren't annoyed by it are the ones doing the loud, open-mouthed chewing.

The biting noise on a spoon/fork kinda annoys me too.

Kruze10 likes this.
  15. Nook

Nook Member

I don't know.

I have a pretty big office all to myself, and I made sure everyone else had their own office and they can close their door. My door is closed unless my assistant lets someone in.

I guess the closest to being annoyed is that I had an employee lawyer who refused to eat out at lunch. He would bring his lunch from home and it smelled like ****. I knew him well and I told him I would give him a raise to keep the office from smelling like ****. That didn't work, he would still do it. So I went in the break room and removed the microwave but he brought one in from home. I let it go.......

I also gave everyone an extra $500 (above their bonuses) so that we could have a Christmas Party at work. I made it clear, bring me receipts for the gifts/festivities and I would give them cash. It went smoothly every year until this employee joined the firm. He said he was angry and offended by the Christmas decorations and did not feel safe and was against drinking in the office. I told him he could take the day of the party off if he wanted. He did, and then wanted his $500.

I sent him out to the downtown Chicago office........ no more stinky food or shitty attitudes around Christmas.

#15 Nook, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Yung-T and Os Trigonum like this.
  16. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

*Clicks pen repeatedly while sucking air through his teeth*

Yung-T, arkoe, Nook and 1 other person like this.
  17. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

People chewing with their mouth open is the absolute worst sound. That one will make me stop in my tracks and say something.

18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

OP, I do have a noise my coworkers make that really bothers me nearly every time it happens within earshot of me!

Most people would call this activity "talking." I have grown to hate my department.

Invisible Fan, Yung-T, arkoe and 3 others like this.
  19. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

As a graphic designer, creative companies always try to keep us in open offices, sharing spaces with other people, which they claim is for easier communication and collaboration between creatives, but I feel its just cheaper and less complicated for them to organize.

Currently, I share an office with another designer who is literally on the phone with his boyfriend ALL THE TIME! I am not joking when I say that. He comes in, puts in his headphones and starts talking. I get they're in love but seriously, you can't possibly have something to talk about constantly.

I guess this thread is more about sharing a space with people and being aware of everyone. Bringing smelly ass food, talking on the phone, eating with your f***ing mouth open. Keep that stuff at home! *end of rant*

20. Nook

Nook Member

Being a lawyer/owner; I have never considered open spaces being a positive. Interesting theory, but yes I suspect being "cheaper" is the real reason.

Lawyers would rebel if they were in open spaces...... if for no other reason than we as a species are miserable and poor company. The drinking policy and quarterly paid parties seem to help though.

dmoneybangbang likes this.