1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump: Media is the enemy of the American people

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Anticope, Feb 17, 2017.

1. foh

foh Member

He didn't answer the question. He said "i run the country and you run cnn". if you consider that an answer, you might want to go and live in north korea or something. After you are called enemy of the people and don't have the right to defend your honor, it ceases to be a normal exchange or a "debate" like you call it, it understandably becomes personal.

What did Acosta do to disgrace the profession is my question and your answer is not satisfactory in my mind.

2. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

Jim Acosta went in telling the President what HE thinks the caravan is and Trump simply said that's your opinion and I have mines. Trump went in details how he wants immigrants to come in legally. Someone tell Jim Acosta that we don't care about his opinion. This not the way a journalist ever behaved before.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  3. foh

foh Member

Acosta basically asks Trump why he called the caravan an invasion. trump replies that they are trying to do something illegally and follow up questions is why do you think they are doing it illegally? And then POTUS goes, that's your opinion, next question. And then Acosta tries to ask another questions, which journalists often do.

There was no disgrace on the part of the journalist. A lot of questions by journalists are loaded and then followed up upon - you can consider it a debate or an opinion but that's what journalists do and are called upon doing. Deal with it. (And not by banning journalists for fake accusations)

4. dachuda86

dachuda86 Member

No problem with what you said, because you are correct about the activities of the press. Just adding my thoughts...

Trump also knows when a journalist is laying a trap for him. They want him to say something they can use against him and he knows it. If he senses a trap he moves on from the journlist. The journalist has no right to ask follow ups. Well played.

5. Spooner

Spooner Member

Did anyone else notice how objectively bad Trump looked today? It looks like he hasn't slept in days. Dude is legit scared. LMAO

joshuaao and B-Bob like this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. NewRoxFan

8. NewRoxFan

A separate exchange between trump and a reporter at the press conference...

9. NewRoxFan

LOL... SE Cupp is one of favorite conservative commentators (partly because her glasses)...

B-Bob likes this.
  10. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Trump is a whiny baby and anyone that supports him lacks integrity and honor.

DD

11. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Acosta has a history of making himself the story instead of being a professional journalist and doing his job. Check out the examples in this thread:

Ari Fleischer, who served as press secretary under President George W. Bush, defended Trump's decision to suspend Acosta's press card. “As a former Press Secretary from a White House that operated very differently than the Trump White House, I am inclined to give reporters a lot of latitude,” he wrote in an email to POLITICO. “But I cannot defend Jim Acosta’s behavior. He doesn’t just ask questions. He takes stands, which emphatically is not the job of a White House reporter.”

12. foh

foh Member

So Acosta's grand standing is the disgrace to the journalist profession? Would POTUS' constant grandstanding be considered a disgrace to the office?

Please don't make me watch russian tv video clips. I bet Sanders is willing to show those on her twitter account, but for all I know they might be doctored.

POTUS acted like a petulant child and a bully (berating someone after that person can no longer respond) in THIS instance. All he had to do was ask for Acosta to rephrase his question more clearly if he felt like he was being baited/tricked. Instead, he went "I run this country. You need to do a better job at CNN if you want better ratings". WHAT kind of response was that?

13. Hustle Town

It's a press conference. We can have a debate, but if you're going to completely ignore what I write and attach, then don't expect a response in the future.

jcf likes this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

If Acosta is so bad (and I'm not saying he isn't), why did the White House have to doctor a video of him to further discredit him?

Why on God's ever-less-green Earth would any of us support SHS peddling doctored footage to discredit any American, even if we disliked that American?

EDIT: To my more right-leaning friends, do you want, say, Obama or Pelosi to create doctored footage of you to discredit you and your integrity? Even if I really disliked you, I would strongly oppose that, obviously.

FranchiseBlade and jcf like this.
  15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

The clip you posted starts in the middle of something. There's no way to tell what was just said before this. Moreover, he points at who I assume is Acosta first, and when Acosta starts talking Trump realizes it and changes his mind.

But more to the point of @foh and basically everyone. Ok, maybe Acosta is a dick and horrible journalist who should have his credentials revoked. I mean, I know as an average American, I care very little about which members of the press are questioning Trump or the press secretary as long as it is a fair and balanced group. But the hypocrisy of the whole situation is laughable. You literally just posted a clip where Trump calls someone fake news on a day when the most obvious fake news is that being disseminated by the WH about the person they were calling fake news.

When did America get so stupid?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  16. foh

foh Member

Your point with regards to Acosta's history was not very interesting to me because we are not debating the history of the two men involved in the altercation being discussed. If we were, I would probably have to invoke the many despicable things the individual Acosta was facing has said before. So do excuse me for ignoring your reputation argument. (And I stand by my argument that the sources you present should be more reputable than RT)

17. Hustle Town

There wasn't a reason to do that except for weird politics. The Trump Admin should have just come out and said that Acosta is a pr*ck and unprofessional, and that's why we kicked him out. No reason to doctor footage because he didn't assault the intern.

B-Bob likes this.
  18. Hustle Town

There are 11 clips in that thread. If y'all want to pick on certain ones, that's fine. My point is that Acosta isn't some sacrificial lamb like the left is making him out to be. He's a partisan hack with an agenda. I rarely post in the D&D anymore, but I'm tired of the hypocrisy. Neither Trump or CNN is a victim.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think the side doctoring footage to make it look like someone assulted an intern is probably the more disingenuous side to begin with.

Here's the thing that many MAGA apologists are forgetting. Donald Trump isn't the first president. There is a 200+ year history of former presidents. That means there is a 200+ year history of journalists asking tough follow up questions and trying to squeeze every question they can. We have a recorded history of how former presidents handled it. Trunp handled it unprecedently like a child.

That is the point. There has never been such a whiny child who demands positive coverage as the President.

#879 fchowd0311, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can you provide an example of a partisan hack question?

Do you not think pressing the President on the caravan rhetoric are important?

Trump isn't the victim. And that's the thing. It is much more graver threqt to American sovereignty that our President believes negative coverage of him is equivalent to being "enemy of the people" than CNN having bias.

CNN has its faults bit Trump criticizes them for all the selflishly wrong reasons. Between CNN crying and the POTUS crying and dishing out violent rhetoric about criticism of him, the latter is far more dangerous.

#880 fchowd0311, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018