1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[CNN] 69-year-old Dutchman starts legal bid to become 20 years younger

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so the guy identifies as a 49-year old . . . hard to argue with this logic

https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/08/europe/dutch-man-legal-age-scli-intl/index.html

69-year-old Dutchman starts legal bid to become 20 years younger
    By Tara John, CNN
    Updated 5:43 AM ET, Thu November 8, 2018

(CNN) Lying about your age on dating websites is usually considered a bit of a faux pas. Now a 69-year-old Dutchman wants the courts to make him officially 20 years younger, likening the change to identifying as transgender.

Emile Ratelband has launched a legal bid to change his age by 20 years in order to improve his chances with women on dating applications like Tinder and help with job prospects, according to reports in Dutch media.

"You can change your name. You can change your gender. Why not your age? Nowhere are you so discriminated against as with your age," Dutch paper De Telegraaf quoted Ratelband as saying.

On Monday, he asked a court in his hometown of Arnhem, in the east of the country, for his date of birth to be changed from March 11, 1949 to March 11, 1960.

He told the court that he "suffers" as a 69-year-old and has been feeling "20, 25 years younger" than his official age, according to Dutch newspaper Algemeen Dagblad.

According to the newspaper, the court is skeptical about Ratelband's case as there is no legal precedent in this area. It is due to make a ruling in four weeks.

Ratelband, whose website describes him as a personal development entrepreneur, told De Telegraaf he is a "young god" and said a change to his legal age would help him live life with gusto.

"If I put on Tinder that I am 69, I will not get a response...[As] 49, with that face of mine, then I'm rammed," he said.

Hakeemtheking, BigDog63 and RasaqBoi like this.
  2. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

clearly this is the big story of the day. This guy says he got his inspiration from Tony Robbins and Donald Trump

https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...asks-be-declared-claiming-age-is-fluid-gender

A 69-year-old man asks to be declared 49, claiming age is as fluid as gender

By Isaac Stanley-Becker
    November 8 at 6:15 AM
    In the quixotic battle against old age, some people use skin care and spin class.

That’s not enough for Emile Ratelband, a 69-year-old who feels like he’s in his 40s. The Dutch pensioner is asking a court in his hometown of Arnhem, southeast of Amsterdam, to change his birth certificate so that it says he took his first breath on March 11, 1969, rather than on March 11, 1949. The judges heard his case Monday and promised they would render a verdict in the next several weeks.

Ratelband sees his request as no different from a petition to change his name or the gender he was assigned at birth — and isn’t bothered that this comparison might offend transgender people, whose medical needs have been recognized by the American Medical Association. It comes down to free will, he maintains.

“Because nowadays, in Europe and in the United States, we are free people,” he said in an interview with The Washington Post. “We can make our own decisions if we want to change our name, or if we want to change our gender. So I want to change my age. My feeling about my body and about my mind is that I’m about 40 or 45.”

Being in his 40s would make his life much better, he explained.

For one, it would boost his dating prospects. “If you’re 69 on Tinder, you’re outdated,” reasoned Ratelband, who has seven children and is now without a partner. His friends urge him just to modify his age on dating apps. “But I don’t want to lie,” he said. “If you lie, you have to remember everything you say.”

It would also help him land more projects at work. The trainer and life coach — and baker and political provocateur in past lives — said potential clients ask him if he can “speak the language of young people” when he tells them his age. He assures them that he’s well versed in the ways of the youth. But they’re skeptical, telling him that their other options are “young people in the gleam of their lives.” He assures them that he is more experienced, wiser and more knowledgeable, but he is beginning to think those attributes may not be enough.

He wants to be young again, and he has the physical fitness to match, Ratelband said.

He has low blood pressure, he said. His joints are working well. His eyesight is clear. His mental health is in top shape, he reported. “Well, everything, I guess,” he said. “I get it all checked every two years.”

This is what he told officials at town hall, where he first went to ask for the change.

“Are you crazy?” they inquired, rejecting his request. It wasn’t his first brush with the officials at town hall. Many years ago, they refused to let him name his twins Rolls and Royce, after the carmaker. He continues to call them by these titles, but made their legal names France and Minou.

This time, he was undeterred, telling his lawyer that he wanted to take the matter to court.

Adopting the playbook used by transgender people suing to alter their birth certificates, which often requires submitting to psychiatric evaluation, Ratelband agreed to see professionals to ensure he wasn’t a “victim of the Peter Pan syndrome," as he put it. He convinced experts that he wasn’t deluding himself, he said, and that he understood the consequences of his actions.

At first, he said, the judges “laughed like little girls.”

But after he delivered an inspirational speech about how modern society had freed itself from the false gods of money and government and religion — “nowadays, we are free people,” he reportedly told them — they became more receptive, in his telling.

Ratelband’s desire to remake himself is distinctly American, he said, and comes from his training under Tony Robbins, the motivational guru and master of the life hack. He lived and traveled with Robbins for about six months in the late 1980s, he said, and came to believe that “you have to make your dreams come true from visualization.”

“This is American thinking,” he said. “Why can’t I change my age if I want to? You have to stretch yourself. If you think you can jump one meter, now I want to jump 20. If you earn 100 grand a month, now I want to earn 120 grand."

He drew a comparison to the forces elevating President Trump, arguing that people don’t want to be told how to live or what to believe, and therefore appreciate that the president has cut himself loose from standards of decorum that governed past presidents.

“He is just himself,” he said. “Trump is the first one who is honest. He shows his emotion on Twitter, saying to everyone, ‘Shut up.’ He’s a new kind of person.”​

Exiled likes this.
  3. Exiled

Exiled Member

I wish to add 30 years and retire tomorrow

Sajan, ryan_98 and Falcons Talon like this.
  4. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

This is great! Dominican Baseball Players have been doing this for years but adding to the age. Finally the world has caught on.

Hakeemtheking, mdrowe00 and robbie380 like this.
  5. Senator

Senator Member

Was waiting for this. Good for him, hope more people start identifying as other races to take advantage of affirmative action etc. until the hypocrisy ends.

luckystrikes, RasaqBoi and cml750 like this.
  6. cml750

cml750 Member

lol, Since it is now acceptable that a person can just magically change genders based on the way they feel on any given day, then anything and everything should be fair game. Be careful what you ask for. Once we decided to alter reality based on personal feeling then anything is possible.

7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

This MF here

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

The whole entire transgender issue has become completely distorted at this point. Very frustrating to explain it to people when they have so many ridiculous conceptions of it. This goes for the activists, the conservatives, and assholes like this guy in the story.

Nook and HeWhoIsLunchbox like this.
  9. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Well, you can actually retire whenever you want.

Paying for it is of course a separate matter. :)

jcf likes this.
  10. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

Beat me too it, but I only need six years.

#10 Falcons Talon, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Exiled likes this.
  11. Exiled

Exiled Member

I can only now afford gender reassignment surgery but that's about it :eek:

12. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Lowering your documented age for personal gain?

[​IMG]

arkoe and jcf like this.
  13. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

Do I even want to know what "I'm rammed" means? :eek:

BigDog63 and Os Trigonum like this.
  14. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

You can identify any age you want. There are a lot of people that live as small children despite being full grown adults.

Deji McGever and Space Ghost like this.
  15. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

"When I look at myself in the first grade and I look at myself now, I’m basically the same. The temperament is not that different."

16. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

yep! why go younger?

17. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

18. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

19. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

this guy is still in the news

"Ratelband says his legal appeal is consistent with other forms of personal transformation that are gaining acceptance and government recognition in the Netherlands and around the world.

" 'With this free(dom) of choice, choice of name, freeness of gender, I want to have my own age. I want to control myself,' he said Thursday.

"Ratelband says he wants to avoid age discrimination in society — especially on dating websites."
    Only question I have is whether he's older or younger than @Deckard

https://pix11.com/2018/11/08/whats-in-a-number-man-69-seeks-legal-age-change-to-49

[​IMG]

20. HTM

HTM Member

Wants to change his age to con women - seems legit.