1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Can Houston unlock 'Olympic Melo' after OKC's failed experiment?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

2. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

They don't have to. The better question will be, can Houston unlock Melo to being 1-1.5x the man that Ryan Anderson was before he had the yipps? That answer thus far seems like a yes.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Expectations. Where you set the bar will let you know if Melo is "unlocked."

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

we will never get Olympic Melo back, you don't age backwards

I like what I'm seeing from Melo, he's at least trying pretty hard on offense. He's taking the right shots.

However, I don't think he's that great of a shooter, he's very streaky, kinda like Eric Gordon. I actually don't mind letting him post up or even take some open mid-range shots, because our offense has looked really one dimensional, and those CP3 and Harden iso's are just straight up bad

5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"mythical" Olympic Melo??? media conspiracy

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

D'antoni aged Grant Hill backwards once.

ramotadab likes this.
  7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Melo's defense will always be a challenge. It is what it is. Just surround him with good help defenders (Clark, Tucker, Ennis), play Melo vs second stringers and don't over extend Melo's minutes.

Offensively, Melo's biggest adjustment will be "getting in rhythm." He has to come into the game "cold" so to speak. And he will go a number of possessions without touching the ball. Can he "be in rhythm" with that type of flow? That is the "mental" adjustment he has to make to be productive as a 6th man. It may take some time for him to be effective in this role.

Rhythm matters.

BigMaloe, Houtho, luckyman76 and 4 others like this.
  8. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

olympic melo doesn't need to play defense

Richie_Rich and daywalker02 like this.
  9. xaos

xaos Member

If we have the key to unlock Olympic Melo, does that mean Olympic Melo is the key to unlock a championship?

I now fully understand that "the key to a championship" pitch.

#9 xaos, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    BigShasta likes this.
  10. RocketsFan247

RocketsFan247 Member

That article ending with Melo not being the 3rd star as part of a "Big-3" is definitely alluding to Jimmy Butler to Rockets: confirmed!

Good read. I'm liking what I'm seeing from Melo, including all that happened in the 1-5 stretch. Didn't realize it at the time, but that game against Utah makes a lot of sense. Their strategy in the round over OKC was to attack Melo, which surprised me when I saw it in our game given how early it was in the season to have a gameplan like that. I'm convinced the schedule heavily weighed against us to start this season. Good times ahead! Can't wait for tonight's game.

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Even if you live your life by analytics, one offensive concept that can work pretty well is a bench of streaky shooters. On any given night, there's a strong probability that at least one of them will be hot. You just have to be smart about identifying which guy that is, in time to win the game.

The downside: At the end of last year's WCF, we saw what happens when literally everyone on the team goes cold.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It has been a rough start of the season for EG, CP and Green in 3pt shooting. That has to turn around....sometime......right?

BigMaloe, HP3, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I haven't read this yet, but knowing it's written by Royce Young poisons it for me.

He is the driver of the Russell Westbrook apology bus.

14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Olympic Melo is a myth!!!

daywalker02 likes this.
  15. Swish4fives

Swish4fives Member

Just curious, why do you think Harden and Cp3 isos are bad?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It does matter, no question about it. Rhythm matters offensively. We frequently talk of players needing to find their rhythm on that end, and I think it's just as important on the defensive end, which doesn't get talked about as much. It's not just effort that's needed on defense. A player can put out all the effort he can give at that end and still be the headless chicken running around the yard, not realizing he's dead - until he gives up an easy bucket to the other team, over and over again.

You have to know the defensive system backwards and forwards, know your role, and knowing that, find your rhythm within it. You can't be "thinking" the entire time on defense. At some point, good defenders know what's needed and act instinctively within the system. We saw that in spades last season, in my opinion.

Under Jeff B's guidance, we dramatically improved our D and it showed, both with the metrics and on the court. Players bought in. Harden, maligned for his defense (sometimes unfairly), made an obvious improvement. It didn't hurt that Chris Paul was like a defensive coach on the court and on the bench. It's why so many of us are excited about Jeff returning in the midst of yet another league offensive experiment. He'll figure out how best to use our guys to combat it, as MDA figures out how to diabolically exploit the new rules offensively.

I'm kind of excited about the whole thing. It may take a while, but we're starting to figure things out, and Jeff B hasn't even arrived yet. Melo may end up being the best vet minimum player in the league before it's over. Fingers crossed.

BigMaloe, Houtho, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

GG need to stop shooting 3s out of full sprint

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

On the cool .. and this isn't popular opinion but Melo has been playing well.

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

If GG went full NBA jamz sprint mode and lept from the 3 point line then finger rolled on his descent it would probably be a higher % shot than what's he's been chucking up. (Would it count as a 3?)

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Good lord...... the Olympics are a tourney lasting 2-3 weeks or what?

The season goes on to 6 months.

It's easier to adjust to your best in a tournament. It's one of these NARRATIVES yet again!

hakeem94 likes this.