1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Before the NBA playoffs resume Friday night, we're talking Rockets, including individual team awards. We're live NOW!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

More voters blame media than Trump for dividing the US

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by RocketsLegend, Nov 1, 2018.

1. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

More voters blame media than Trump for dividing the US

BruceAndre likes this.
  2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

You do realize in your compulsion to defend trump you only made him and yourself look more foolish? First its not the role of media to unite or divide the U.S. if anything, that would be something Americans would look to the president to do.

And, according to the poll you rushed in here, the majority of Americans think he as failed.

I think the russians should ask for their money back. You certainly are doing a poor job.

joshuaao and adoo like this.
  3. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Even if your poll was credible, it still isn’t necessarily saying anything positive about Trump and more broadly, Trumpism.

Trump doesn’t exist without FoxNews... the most watched cable news station in America. Without Fox, Trump never even gets primary coverage. He doesn’t have 24/7 propaganda filling ignorant Americans with a false reality of his presidency. CNN carries the blame after for the way they covered him even when they thought covering him the way they did surely wouldn’t benefit him.

So yes... I actually think this is somewhat accurate. FoxNews and the incompetence of CNN greatly contributed to where we are today with giving Trump the pulpit he needed to divide and conquer.

4. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This thread will end well. LOL

Let the hate posts pile up!

Roc Paint and BruceAndre like this.
  5. RocketsLegend

RocketsLegend Member

The role of the media is to present objective reporting and according to this poll, they have failed miserably.

6. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Between Fox News reporting absolute bullsh-t on behalf of Trump and CNN treating news like it's a sporting event giving dumbass opinions a seat at the table alongside facts and then asking the audience to choose from themselves instead of just reporting what is REAL and what isn't, I would agree. Media played a major role in dividing America.

Deji McGever, Roc Paint, Nook and 2 others like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

No, the role of the media is to report. MSNBC reports with a left-leaning slant. fox news reports with a right-leaning slant. Both accomplish what they set out to do. They both report. And no, this poll does not measure whether the media has reported.

Furthermore, many people believe the most important role of the media is to act as a watchdog, to protect the public from abuse by creating and increasing public awareness.

But please tell me how *you* "think" this poll defends trump. A poll that concludes that the majority of Americans think trump has done more to divide America than to unite it.

Next, tell me if *you* "think" that it is the responsibility of the president to divide the people of the United States or to unite them? And whether trump has succeeded?

8. BruceAndre

BruceAndre Member

You would have been right, in the past. That has changed, unfortunately. The reasons for the change? I'll offer two: a) more of the media are from the PC crowd/extreme left, than in years before; b) the multiplication and expansion of the media. Because of this, any given media has to take on a distinct "outlook" to separate themselves from the pack.

People get angry about media bias (and rightly so) because the media (such as the NYT) never came out and said "we're changing what we do." But all of a sudden, we see bias where we used to see (somewhat) objective reporting.

cml750 likes this.
  9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I guess we can gauge the answer to this a little bit on Tuesday. The nation has a chance to issue a referendum on the orange divider.

10. NewRoxFan

Interesting. fox news started in 1996. Curious when you believe reporting changed? I suspect people throughout time complained that "reporting" became "bad" (whatever definition of "bad" is used). For example, I am pretty sure people complained that reporting became "bad" when media coverage of the Vietnam War reported completely different views that they got from the government. But I bet you can go back to most any period of time when reporting was considered "bad".

11. NewRoxFan

How does the midterms gauge whether trump is considered a "divider" or not? republicans have already shown they will vote for republicans, regardless.

But here's a question for you... do you think trump is a "divider" or "uniter"? Do you think he even cares?

12. Buck Turgidson

“No one ever went broke underestimating the intelligence of the American public.”

Rashmon, Yung-T and Nippystix like this.
  13. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

I dont think he is as divisive as you think he think he is. If the media didn't talk crap about him 24/7 you would see a different persona.

The midterms are a chance to get that impeachment thing going that this board has been stumping for. If that blue wave doesnt happen he must be uniting some people.

BruceAndre likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

Again, I disagree. The media wouldn't be able to talk crap about him 24/7 if he didn't say and do things for them to talk crap about 24/7. For example, this AM's job news (which media reported). If he had focused on that instead of his pet hate projects (like birthright citizenship/caravan/wall) he would have had a strong story, even with the parallel story of increasing deficit and stock market decline.

The midterms are not as much a trump story as they are a series of individual races between republicans and Democrats. And we know republicans will vote for any candidate with an R next to their name. Even severely flawed candidates like desantis and cruz.

Last, funny you should bring up impeachment. I suspect its the first time it was used in this thread, and probably the first time used in any thread this week. Funny it should be on your mind...

Last, you didn't answer the question...

15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Weird the question wasn't that at all...

16. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

You know it's possible, and my position, that BOTH are to blame. Blaming BOTH is allowed.

The pundit newsmedia had really gotten out of control. There shouldn't be a liberal or conservative newsmedia and that's all we had. They gave us entertainment media while selling newsmedia. And now the majority can't tell the difference. The reality tv, loudmouth, was at the right place, right time, to counter this partisan entertainment newsmedia. He's not not willing or smart enough to explain to folks that it's entertainment, it's reality tv which he sells as real. He should shame them all for entertainment but he'd rather legitimize their entertainment as news.

So BOTH.

peleincubus likes this.
  17. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

1. The Washington Examiner? C'mon man.

2. What the right perceives as unfair might just actually be objective reporting.

18. HTM

HTM Member

The state of major network news is deplorable. It's horribly partisan and I am of the opinion the 24 hour news cycle is harmful to the country and totally unnecessary.

ipaman likes this.
  19. Buck Turgidson

It is very easy to just not watch it and still stay informed.

BruceAndre likes this.
  20. HTM

HTM Member

For sure, I haven't really watched in years. I'll be flipping around and watch for a few minutes here or if something terribly interesting is going on.

Unfortunately, a lot of folks do watch.