1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston Cougars Football Thread

Discussion in 'Football: NFL, College, High School' started by Chopped, Aug 29, 2011.

1. MystikArkitect

Is it though?

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, it really is. There's not much justification for it.

3. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its not surprising based on how long it took us to be ranked and this helps them possibly screw UCF out of the top 4 if they run the table again. **** ESPN !!!

4. MystikArkitect

If you’re objective, yeah. The committee has always seen non P5 teams as lesser, even though UH would be favored against almost everyone from 10-25. UCF ranking is also a joke.

5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Which in some ways makes the committee worse than the old BCS system. Bias held by those on the committee can, and has, lead to some pretty ridiculous results.

6. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Even though I am a UH alumni, their porous and inconsistent defense would create some justification for lack of respect in being included in the CFP top 25. I was surprised that we were ranked 17th in the other polls. Somewhere between 20 and 25 would have been more appropriate. Guess we need to run the table and make improvements on defense and show them all wrong. I sure hope we don't stumble along the way and get a chance to play UCF for the Conference Championship. A win in that game would make for a successful season and a decent bowl game.

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

i don't think it is. realistically they don't have a shot at it anyway. getting a NY6 bowl coming from the AAC is UH's own cfp. hopefully they'll earn it by beating ucf in the championship or whoever comes out of the east

8. MystikArkitect

Yup. It’s not like UCF and UH don’t have a history of bludgeoning darling P5 programs in big games either.

Put UH, Cincinnati or USF against those 3 loss teams and see what happens. Even Memphis would hold its own.

9. MystikArkitect

Galaxy brain thought:

Committee keeping UH low so that if UCF faces them in the ship, they’ll still have the “but they didn’t play anybody” card.

10. Poloshirtbandit

There is 0 chance UCF makes top 4 if they win out.

11. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

With the way the rankings went this week we could run the table beat an undefeated UCF and not make the NY6 game.

12. solid

solid Contributing Member

I am not the most objective person on this subject, but I think that UH has the best offense in the nation. They have elite speed at the skilled positions and a boatload of talent. I think they can score on anybody. Defense is another story, although they have been decent at times. I think they would torch ND for fifty plus points. I don't think ND has the speed to stop them. Not sure they would fair as well against Clemson, Alabama, or LSU, but we might be surprised. They are going to score on anybody including the elite teams, maybe not enough to win because the defense isn't likely to shut down the big boys.

13. Poloshirtbandit

I'm afraid of this as well. I'm not sure what Fresno St schedule is but they will need to lose somewhere along the way.

14. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Fresno St remaining schedule
    UNLV
    Boise St
    San Diego St
    San Jose ST
    MWC Title game vs Utah St ( currently has a 1 game lead on Boise)

UH HAS
    SMU
    Temple
    Tulane
    Memphis
    Potential AAC Title game vs UCF
    UH has a 2 game lead in the west going into this weekends games.

It also looks like USF and UCF could be playing for East title last week of season and I believe the game is in Tampa this year.

15. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Does anyone have one of these? I'd like to buy one.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Memphis beat SMU Friday night so next Friday UH vs Memphis at the Liberty Bowl for the AAC West Division..

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

I'm confident we will lose this game without Oliver. Hell, I'm not even sure we can win it with him.

18. solid

solid Contributing Member

It is like we have very few players left.

19. PhiSlammaJamma

The new Fertita Cloning Center has taken possession of the alleged jacket.

20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

Its crazy to even think about I can't ever remember us being this beat up in one season

Right now we are down
    QB- King
    RB- Car, Williams
    WR- Corbin, Lark, Smith
    DL- The entire 2 deep that opened the season
    LB- Owens
    DB- Davis

They are saying Lark and Corbin could be back for Memphis, but we lost Smith to pulled hamstring and Clayton Turner broke a foot against Tulane. Turner was the only DL left from the opening 2 deep I was screaming why was he still in there after those dumb unsportsmanlike penalties against Temple, but I didn't realize he was the only DL with a pulse we had left. If they pull this Memphis game out it will be because we got nuts on offense I don't expect the defense to play well we won't be lucky to be playing a team like Tulane that can't throw the ball if they get behind this week. I don't think Memphis is as good because their QB isn't as good as last year, but we don't know how Tune will play so its really a crapshoot to how we play this week.