1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rebounding woes

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by BigMaloe, Oct 25, 2018.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

This isnt a thread about "what the real issue is to our lack of current success" if you want to discuss that please find one of the many threads discussing all the possibilities out there.

This thread is simply about our rebounding or rather lack thereof.

This year, thru 4 games (small sample alert), we are currently 28th in reb% at 46.2%.
    We are 20th in Dreb% with 70.4%
    We are 25th in Oreb with 23.7%.
    Quite simply we suck, and badly at rebounding.

Compare this with our numbers from last year.
    We were 14th in reb% at 50.3%.
    Our Dreb% of 75% was 4th. (We were number 1 for the vast majority of there year hovering around 80%)
    Our Oreb% was 23rd at 25.4%.

I'm not so much worried about offensive rebounds as I am defensive rebounding.

Last year defensive rebounding was our bread and butter. We were #1 for the vast majority of the season before laying off to end the season and finishing 4th.

The thing about defense is, no matter how great you defend if you don't get the rebound and finish the possession it hasn't been a good defensive showing.

I have seen it multiple times, especially against LAC, where we play great defense and give up the board.

This leads to frustration, visibly on multiple accounts in regards to Ego. It's hard playing great defense for 24, just to give them another 14 and in some cases another 14 after that.

My main contributor to this failure so far is Capela.

Last year he had 27.8 Dreb% and a 19.8 overall reb%.
    This year he is at 20.0 Dreb% and 13.5% on overall rebounding.

Hes gotta be better at hunting boards plain and simple. It was key last year and it will remain a key factor this year.

2nd biggest contributor, is our beloved Tucker.

Last year he was at 16.0 Dreb% and 10.1% overall.
    This year he is at 9.3 Dreb% and 5.4% overall.
    Not gonna cut it especially from Mr hustle himself.

Since James Ennis replaced Ariza in the starting lineup let's compare his numbers to Trevor's from last year.

Ennis has a 4.3 Dreb% and 6.0% overall. Has a better Oreb% at 7.5 than defensive which is strange.
    Last year Ariza had a 11.6 Dreb% and a 6.5% overall.

Gordon is roughly at the same mark.

Cp3 is roughly at the same mark.

Harden has actually increased his reb %'s access the board so far.

Tl;dr

So in conclusion our defensive rebounding is extremely down.

Capela and tucker are the 2 biggest changes, from a rebounding %, from last year to this year so far. As your starting frontcourt this is extremely unacceptable. Also Ennis doesnt rebound as well as Ariza.

I think this is the main reasons we have gotten off to such a relatively bad start.

It's tough playing 24 seconds of strong defense, adding another 14 seconds is even tougher and in some cases another 14 seconds on top of that is just ludicrous and unjustified.

#1 BigMaloe, Oct 25, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
    Rustyrig, Little Bit, gotsis and 10 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

This is a huge problem, and it's one that most fans won't focus on because it's less obvious in the numbers.

Our inability to just grab the dang ball has been killing us. It was the biggest reason we lost the Clippers game.

Mazulis, D-rock, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  3. YOLO

YOLO Member

very much an issue. but this is also one of the many added to the laundry list of them that many have pointed out. All of it is just a collection of the non-existent identity thats been lost coming to the season. Just way too many holes all over the place atm and realistically not going to be easily fixable.

High Vibrationz likes this.
  4. BigMaloe

Last year we gang rebounded, but this year I have noticed a lot of standing around and watching.

It was a Mantra of ours from last year iirc. I remember bzdelik saying it was a main focus.

Not only do I think we need a bit better boxing out, I just think we need more hustle to the ball.

Mazulis and D-rock like this.
  5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Agreed.

Our rebounding Is sucking ass
    We dont even seem to try on offensive and
    And defensive is half Assed.
    At best

Rocket River

BigMaloe likes this.
  6. BigMaloe

Our defensive rebounding had been atrocious, plain and simple.

I have confidence it will be corrected. Mainly because I think capela and Tucker will correct their failures thus far and start competing harder for boards.

hakeem94 and Nook like this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

capela was been horrible on both ends. paul being out also hurts our rebounding. and gordon has always been a lightweight on the boards so his starting doesn't help. but alas, rebounding is just one of many many problems with this team

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It’s hustle, we simply aren’t boxing out and it seems we get beat on ever long rebound.

basketballholic, Mazulis and hakeem94 like this.
  9. BigMaloe

I think this is a lot of it.

We use to grab all those long rebounds and we simply haven't been so far. That's hustle.

The short rebounds at the rim, I'm envisioning montrezl, is the lack of boxing out.

It needs to be a point of emphasis.

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good post and good points. You really have to wonder how much Capela's foot is bothering him. @YOLO posted an Athletic excerpt that talked about Capela's foot. He just doesn't look as explosive and thus he is missing blocks and not tracking rebounds as well or getting that 2nd jump for rebounds.

CP is a sneaky good rebounder. That Clippers game in the 4th was tough to watch. But if CP was there, you know he would have gotten a bunch of those extra rebounds the Clips got.

BigMaloe likes this.
  11. BigMaloe

Link to the athletic excerpt about capela? I've been going through a lot and was not as invested during preseason as usual so I missed that. That may very well be a reason and something I could look for that I have missed.

12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Agreed all around and especially on Capela not being as effective compared to last year .

Also I'm curious if there are stylistic changes . Someone mentioned gang rebounding , but I think (theoretically) we wanted to run more in transition this year , so that means people leaking out and not being there for the board .

Also switch everything will weaken your rebounding in conjunction with trying to run on the break more.

I think we need to commit to finishing the possession defensively before trying to worry about our transition offense .

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

Leaking out for fast breaks may be a contributing factor, and tbh I would also prefer finishing the possession and having a much slower pace.

We score sooo much better after a missed shot.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

Rockets missing Bzdelik bad.

Mazulis likes this.
  16. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'll add ... if Clint is hurt . He shouldn't be playing . He's really looks off on his timing and explosiveness compared to last year and I can't tell if it's due to rust / fitness / injury .

Hartenstein might suck ass . Nene might actually be dead . Chriss might be an idiot ; but , these guys aren't going to improve if you never play them . Hartenstein in particular seems to have good IQ , but is a rookie .

Are you really telling me he is that much worse than joey Dorsey or tarick black !?

Any time you have multiple days off in between games you give players a great opportunity to heal if you sit them out a game.

For example , we could have rested Clint yesterday and then he would have had off from Sunday .

17. JW86

JW86 Member

People make fun of McGee but did you see all the shots he blocked, altered and can get simple buckets? Capela needs to man the f up

Mazulis likes this.
  18. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

How do we think Butler will impact rebounding?
    I want to get some preliminary thoughts and I will do a number dive tomorrow

19. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Similarly to Ariza, but a bit better.

Jimmy is very athletic and has a lot less miles on his body. He’d average at least 5 and be active crashing the offensive glass.

The type of player similar to PJ that even though he might not get the board himself, he still tips it and creates an opportunity for us to get a 2nd chance.

DonKnock likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Hartenstein still has the yips out there. He's not thinking. Standing around on the boards and letting the opponent box him. Needs to play more. Gotta find some blowout time.

All these guys are playing like panzies. Nobody putting bodies on anybody in the paint. They're playing like they're waiting for a big trade to come down and clear them out. I think it's affecting Tucker....even though he ain't going anywhere. But even if he's not, these guys are playing soft. They know somebody's likely gone (Gordon). That unsettles everybody. Not good right now. Nothing much can be done besides reassure guys who aren't leaving. But everybody else....they're waiting to see if they're gone.