1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

LMJ to get Tommy John surgery?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by DaBeard, Oct 19, 2018.

1. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Crawfish Boxes is thinking it may legit

3. Screaming Fist

How many other pitchers have pitched for weeks with normal velo/movement while having a torn UCL? Why would they continue to play him if he was experiencing pain indicative of a potential UCL strain or other serious injury? Even with it being the postseason, that sounds like a really ****ing bad idea. Did this just happen following his last appearance (where his stuff was fine)?

SemisolidSnake and No Worries like this.
  4. Major

Major Member

Isn't that what Ohtani tried with the Angels (unsuccessfully) and what Tanaka did with the Yankees (successfully)? Rest it a bit, then pitch some more and see if it works out OK? If not, get the surgery?

5. Buck Turgidson

"We're going to figure all that stuff out," he said. "I'm pretty banged up. Other guys are banged up, too. That's going to be something down the road the next couple of days, the next couple of weeks we'll figure out."When asked if he was headed for surgery, McCullers said: "We've got to speak with the training staff. I'm going to do my standard postseason MRI stuff, see all the doctors, see how I'm feeling. I've definitely been throwing through some stuff."

He couldn't have hurt it worse by pitching through a partial tear that was most likely going to require surgery anyway, it's all about his pain level and ability to make pitches.

6. Screaming Fist

I believe Tanaka's doctors recommended rehab, and not surgery, given that the tear was fairly small. Maybe Lance suffered a partial UCL tear in June and received a similar recommendation from his doctors, although I don't know why the Astros would lie about it being a forearm strain.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

A strain/sprain is a partial tear.

8. Screaming Fist

They specifically said it was a "forearm muscle" though, not an elbow ligament. Still, based off this (stolen from twitter), it sounds like we should prepare for the worst.

[​IMG]

No Worries likes this.
  9. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I’m pretty dense, but I’m not seeing the connection. Sounds like she’s talking about some of the free agents that probably aren’t coming back.

10. Screaming Fist

The “18monthcountdown” appears to refer to his return to baseball at the beginning of the 2020 season.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

12. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well, hopefully he gets the MRI and gets it taken care of ASAP. It'll suck not having him for 2019. Might put a little more pressure on the FO to keep Keuchel and Morton...or opens up a rotation spot for Peacock/McHugh/Whitley/James

13. lnchan

14. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

There’s enough smoke going around to basically confirm that McCullers is going to be out for a long time. I think they were set to let Keuchel walk, but now they might need to rethink that unless someone is willing to significantly overpay for him.

15. lnchan

Qualifying offer will happen. Up to him to accept or refuse...

16. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

We have some great young arms/prospects with Josh James, Valdez and Whitley, but the picture of the pitching staff without Keuchel and Lance and either a retired/bullpen relegated Morton looks scary.

I think they are going to have to sign a starting pitcher or maybe even 2 to offset this development.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

It's all falling apart rather quickly. Mercy. But still 100 win team I think.

18. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They will make at least 2 big moves this offseason. As it stands, with no additions, this is probably a 90-95 win team assuming Correa/Altuve both come back fully healthy. Even with a hole in the lineup and unproven 3-5 SP, they will be favored to win the division. But I expect them to add a good bat (hopefully who can catch) and an elite SP, which will take them back into 100 win and WS expectations.

19. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Nah, we're good. DK, LMJ and possibly losing Morton for a while is a blow but we are setup as well as you possibly could be to overcome it. Valdez and Whitley are both promising so hopefully one of them rises and I think you'll see a signing of a legitimate free agent SP as Lunhow mentioned it would be a focus.

JV
    Cole
    FA
    McHugh
    Valdez/Whitley (if Morton comes back and is healthy will slide in here)

Fiah likes this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member