1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Crooked Scores/14 Second Reset

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by MystikArkitect, Oct 20, 2018.

1. MystikArkitect

Looks like the 14 second reset off an offensive rebound has really impacted the scoring. I was wondering how we gave up so much to the Pelicans and to the Lakers but looking across the league, seems like this is the new norm. Almost every team hit 100 today.

2. Juxtaposed Jolt

Well, possessions are sped up, which increases total overall possessions, which should increase overall scores.

mike2k132 likes this.
  3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sports book > sports bettors

4. BackdoorHarden

What did you expect? More possession = more scoring.

You betting unders????

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

N will increase 3 point attempts i think

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

1) Pace is way up
    2) More 3pt attempts
    3) 14 sec reset

They are all factors. Crazy scores!

7. 92i

92i Member

What? The shot clock resets at 14 seconds now after an offensive rebound instead of 24?

Sorry if I am late, completely lost interest in this travesty of a league since we got screwed in the playoffs last year.

B-Bob, clutchdabear, lnchan and 2 others like this.
  8. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

I don’t like this at all. An offensive rebound after a shot is a new possession. Bad rebounding teams should be punished. Quit changing the rules to produce a certain outcome. It diminishes the other aspects of the game — rebounding and defense.

B-Bob, clutchdabear, Rashmon and 3 others like this.
  9. da_juice

da_juice Member

B-but then how will the Warriors win?

10. whathappened

whathappened Member

Add the freedom of movement being strictly enforced this year . No D being played

BigggReddd and clutchdabear like this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Yeah, the freedom of movement thing. There are more fouls now. Teams are in the bonus earlier and FTA's are way up.

clutchdabear likes this.
  12. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

ORtg across the league is currently at 110.9 points per 100 possessions. That's the highest since it began being recorded in 73/74. It's been in the 108's the last 2 years.

# of possessions is also up.

Last year average ppg was 106.3. It's up to 113.3 this year.

Last year average possessions per game was 97.9. This year its 102.2 thus far.

More of the increase so far seems to be from increased # of possessions, be that the shot clock only changing to 14, just overall increased pace, or whatever.

Of note, FTA per game is 25.6 vs 21.7 last year. This might be reflective of the new freedom of movement rules. In either case, increased FTs might mean more possessions, as there could be more trips to the line earlier in the shot clock.

3PA are up 2 attempts per game

Offensive rebounds are slightly up. Pace/possessions aside, efficiency is basically the same, ignoring the increased FTs. In other words, efg% is more or less the same.

Will have to see where it normalizes, but thus far, more possessions, using more 3 pointers and more free throws resulting in higher offensive efficiency.

13. Major

Major Member

This doesn't punish anyone - it just reduces dead time. If you get a defensive rebound, you are on the opposite side of the court, and are given 8 seconds to cross midcourt. If you already have the ball on your side of the court and around the basket, there's no need for that extra time. It's that same with fouling - that has reset the shot clock to 14 seconds for 10+ years now, I believe. FIBA also already uses the 14 second offensive rebound rule. The goal is to speed up the pace of play and get more "action" into the same amount of game time. It's good for fans and thus good for the sport.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Prove it.

15. Major

Major Member

You are welcome to research TV ratings and what drives fan interest in sports if you're truly interested. I don't really care if you believe me or not, though.

16. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

Except guards are usually in the defensive court in preparation for transition defense. Offense still needs time to reset into position. The only dead time that it really saves on is the last few minutes of the game when teams with the lead try to run out the clock.

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

The extra 10 seconds added a little rest as everyone stood around when the offense let a few second of air out of the bag.

This will add to more fatigue and errors. This will adversely affect older teams who use every second of the shot clock while it will help younger teams who use the shot clock effectively. Teams are going to need to better utilize their starters and rest them more. In other words, bad for the Rockets. Good for GSW.

If I am a super star on a team not called the Warriors, I'd demand more rest. Its time to drop the regular season down to 60 games.

18. Kevooooo

Kevooooo Member

The previous rule punished bad rebounding teams by allowing the rebounding team the ability to potentially run another 24 seconds off the clock. Crucial at the end of quarters or games.

By creating more “action” you are changing the rules to create a desired outcome — more scoring. The game was fine how it was. Now there is basically no defense in the league.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It "punishes" both sides because the defense also loses a brief respite. In fact, I can argue the change will further demoralize poor defensive rebounding teams because the offense will remain in attack mode the entire time instead of pausing.

Clearly end of game situations will be affected. It's good that offenses will be forced to shoot more often instead of defenses having to foul to prevent the clock from running out.

14-second rule will not cause less defense. The change with impeding the progress of a player probably does have this effect. Jury remains out because I believe they will loosen things up as the season progresses.

From a fan and action perspective, there is little downside to the 14-second rule. Only thing that comes to mind is starters minutes will decline some and the typical 8-man rotations will become 9-10 man rotations.

20. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

They should reset it to 2 seconds after an offensive rebound. Teams would actively avoid O boards unless a putback flush. I mean, while we're screwing up the game we love, why hold back?

Kevooooo and BigShasta like this.