1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Melo is struggling

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

FG% tracker so far:

30% from the field.

16.7% from the 3.

PER: 0.69 (ouch)

And a number of open shots he has passed only to take a dribble, let his defender recover, and then take a contested shot.

Someone explain the above to me!!! It's mind boggling!

Why does he refuse the open shot but 1 second later jacks up the contested shot after giving his defender time to recover.

Normal people dont do that.

I reckon he would significantly bump his FG% just by correcting this bad habit alone.

#1 Zboy, Oct 21, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    harold bingo, hakeem94 and saleem like this.
  2. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

SMH at the title of this thread

DonKnock likes this.
  3. iNoseBleedRed

iNoseBleedRed Member

Don’t like title but I do agree with the premise. We already have extra defenders running around because they leave MCW open on the line since he’s worthless. No need to let them recover,

Zboy and saleem like this.
  4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Here is what is troubling:

The biggest argument for Melo working out on the Rockets was that he has never had players/passers like Harden and CP to play with him.

This is what the above proposition implies....

...That either Harden or CP setting him up with good looks. Setting him with open looks means they work hard to break down the defense so that the defenders are now trailing the play, which gives our shooters some extra time when they do get the ball and the defenders recover.

But when Melo hesitates and lets his man recover and then puts up a shot with a hand in his face, it wastes all that work. This is equivalent to him taking a contested one on one jumper early in the shot clock. It also breaks down the offensive rhythm of the team.

Which means this is the same low % Melo we will be getting that has played the entire career. CP and Harden can help set him up but he has to be smart and take the shots when he needs to in the flow of the offense. Helping defense recover is being stupid.

Being in a shooting slump is one thing but this is more than that. This is a bad habit that will keep him in the trenches in terms of FG%.

5. Giant9erRocket

Giant9erRocket Hakeem Olajuwon Status

Don't worry he will be Olympic Melo by mid-season.

oelman44 and Lawlruschang like this.
  6. bmelo

bmelo Member

I just feel like our offense doesnt care bout forwards. All that guards ball pounding isnt good neither for Gordon or Melo

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  7. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Yeah its like their is a hesitation all the time. It almost looks like he is waiting for a hard close out oppose to just letting it fly. They should be able to clean this up the other thing is off the pick n roll he needs to slide back and over so that when James or Cp3 clear the screen Melo will get a better attempt

8. Nook

Nook Member

I thought Anthony was fine. He had a lot of rebounds, he spaced the floor and he team was a +13 with him on the floor.

9. farhen

farhen Member

not surprise dude is washed up

TheRealist137 and Lemonte like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Melo gives him a 8-9 man rotation now.

DonKnock likes this.
  11. jeevinesh

jeevinesh Member

Maybe he's just not that used to being so open

12. bj3175

bj3175 Member

Thats what I am trying to think

13. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I'm FAAAAAAAAAR from a Melo fan, but give him time dude.

It's a matter of 2 seconds. Once he realizes that the shot he's getting after 2-4 seconds of dicking around is most of the time worse than the shot he had when the ball first touched his hands, he will change. There's no need to think, and MDA has said that a lot. It's one of his core principles. Once you get the ball, you instantly allow your mind to decide between passing, driving and shooting. Everything else is less efficient. Right now he's holding onto it because the media keeps poking his insecurities by questioning his importance.

It takes time to diminish bad habits that are this heavily ingrained. He'll be a great bench player after game 20. Don't underestimate the value of having a great bench player at the minimum.

He played significantly better defense against the Lakers btw. Sure it would be great if he just fit into our dream version of what he could be, but I'm happy that he's 70% there just 2 games into the season.

14. Lemonte

Lemonte Member

He looks washed up to me as well.

15. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

I agree that we should give melo some time. Certainly more than 2 games.

In the mean time...lets talk about things such as how the rockets are basically letting anyone get passed them with their initial first step when driving, or how no one boxes out and let's the other team get both defensive/offensive rebounds easily, or how anyone is able to cut baseline for the easy layup/dunk, or how we lose our man getting back on defense.

These are the things that are frustrating me so far. I know its only been two games but this kind of stuff needs to be addressed first and early. Then we can worry about which players are doing well and which aren't.

16. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Whatever. He looked better than Ryno did already by at least shooting

17. hakeemthagreat

I notice he starts off in rhythm then for some ODD reason MDA yanks him out. The Rocket were in the process of extending the lead but coach took him out when started to hit

18. underrated015

underrated015 Member

Well he should get more looks. When u have harden pound the ball and turn it over, that’s a lost possession

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  19. MD_in_Training

Melo don't shoot open shots.

20. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Melo is in his mid 30s and has been declining for 4 years. Such trends don't typically reverse. But he's for the minimum and essentially replacing one of the worst players in the league, so... eh. I'll live with it. I don't think he's part of our future so this is just a one year thing.

High Vibrationz and amaru like this.