1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros Off Season

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 19, 2018.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Astros linked to a lot of trade candidates:

https://www.mlb.com/news/best-2018-19-hot-stove-value-may-be-in-trade/c-298301320

Realmuto
    Bumgarner
    Schwarber
    Castellanos
    Gray

Sounds good, I’ll take em all.
    Realmuto for Bukauskas, Alvarez, Stassi, Fisher, and $1M in intl slot money
    Bumgarner for James, Toro, and B Abreu
    Schwarber for Josh Reddick, Tony Kemp, Armenteros, J Arauz, and $8M
    Castellanos for Reed and Deetz
    Gray for C Martin, C Perez, Joe Smith, PTBNL and $3M

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    DH Castellanos
    C Realmuto
    1B Gurriel
    LF Schwarber
    RF Tucker
    Bench: White, Maldonado, Marisnick
    Rotation: Verlander, Bumgarner, Cole, Gray, Whitley
    Bullpen: Peacock, Devenski, F Valdez, Harris, McHugh, Rondon, Pressly, Osuna

Houstunna and seemoreroyals like this.
  2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

I'm telling u look at Yuli for Marco Stroman.

That would be the trade to look at. Strom would do wonders with him.

Also look at Sonny Gray two projects for Strom and a rebuild like Andrew Miller. This would be steals for the Astros.

But the one thing the Astros need more then anything is a scary type player when he bats. Altuve when healthy Bregman then its its after that. They need one more guy to fill this out. Plus they need that production from the Catchong postion

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

The Blue Jays are rebuilding and would want nothing to do with Yuli Gurriel. Yuli is an aging player who is barely worth his salary and will be a free agent in 2 years. He has very little if any trade value.

Marcus Stroman is an interesting trade target, as is Sonny Gray. That is the mitigating factor about losing the 3-5 of the rotation is that there seem to be quite a few interesting MoR/BoR guys with upside available.

4. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I like our chances with this group if we can put it together going into next year.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  5. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

They won't even come close to having this group.

Nook, Marteen, BigM and 4 others like this.
  6. DudeWah

DudeWah Member

We should all be praying this is successful and Altuve returns to form.

Surgeries, no matter how minor, can prevent players from ever being the same again.

Altuve and Correa getting healthy is as vital as anything else.

arkoe likes this.
  7. Nook

Nook Member

FA
    Keuchel
    Sipp
    Harris
    Morton
    Gattis
    McCann
    Maldonado
    Gonzalez

Possible trade candidates
    McHugh
    Smith
    Devo

Most of the FA’s are likely gone. Morton could have better than a 50/50 chance of being back but that is about it. McHugh is arbitration eligible and may be moved to save money if they deem that the internal cheaper options are more viable.

Either way 1/3 the team or more will be new.

raining threes likes this.
  8. awc713

awc713 Member

Silver lining may be that it was just a broken bone, which heals pretty seamlessly in the scheme of injuries. Better that than, say, a major tendon or muscle, like the Achilles. Those injuries are a bit more worrisome.

9. Major

Major Member

I've heard this a lot, but I don't see him moving. He's either an elite bullpen member or a functional #3 or #4 starter. Either way, a $6-$8MM 1-yr deal (what he probably gets in arbitration) seems cheaper than you'd have to pay for that elsewhere. Plus, he has the versatility of being proven in both roles so you can use him how he best fits.

10. Nook

Nook Member

I think McHugh is more likely to stay than leave. However if the Astros can get something they want for him in trade and save $7-8 million to spend elsewhere, I wouldn’t be surprised. There are a lot of potential bullpen arms in the system. If the Astros target someone like Murphy or Cruz in FA to fill a line up hole, that money saved may make a big difference.

Although the one I think dealt is Harris.

11. awc713

awc713 Member

I don't understand the infatuation with Cruz. Don't get me wrong, he was still a well-above average offensive player last year. But his age concerns me, and I don't particularly want him to play in the OF. His average and power have been declining the past (4) seasons, and last year was the worst one yet. Maybe his decline last year was just a blip. Regardless, the only way I could see it working is by letting Cruz DH full time, slide Yuli into Marwin's role, and put Tyler at 1B.

kaleidosky likes this.
  12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

While they may have a big turnover, do you really think they will add

Realmuto
    Castellanos
    Bumgarner
    Gray
    and
    Schwarber?

13. Nook

Nook Member

LOL No.... they won’t lose every single free agent or trade every contract. I think they try to add a veteran bat and maybe a utility type bat. A lot of the bullpen holes and the 5th starter I think are added internally.... with any holes unexpectedly emerging being filled at mid season.

Having failed to repeat, I think we may see Congrejo climb out for the rock he has been living under and suggest hundreds of trades though and blame Hinch for the Altuve fly ball call.

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I was being mostly silly and in no way do I think Houston will go that balls out. If I was predicting, I think they will resign Marwin and Morton (unless Morton has a major injury) and sign a good free agent bat on a short term deal (like Cruz). The real question will be what they do at catcher and SP; they will surely address both areas, it just remains to be seen whether they add star players there, or go cheaper and add 2nd or 3rd tier players.

15. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Wilson Ramos would be my number 1 free agent target. It addresses the catcher position and the need for an additional solid bat. Plus he won't cost a draft pick since he can't receive a qualifying offer from the Phillies. I would look at bringing in Maldonando as the back up but it would depend on the price. If his price is too high just roll with Stassi.

I would also resign Morton and Marwin. If the rumors about McCullers having Tommy John surgery are true Morton is a big priority. Marwin will be the super utility guy and back up plan if Tucker or White can't hit.

I would try to extend Verlander and Pressly. Verlander for somewhere in the 3 year range for 75-90 million. Maybe 2 years with a 3rd year option. Pressly might take an extension because he only made 1.8 million last year in arbitration and his estimate for next season is 3.1 million. Maybe throw a 3 year deal at him for 15-20 million.

Then maybe sign a guy like Justin Wilson to be the lefty in the pen or trade for Tony Watson or someone similar.

The only way I see the Astros making a major trade is if Morton leaves/retires and McCullers is out for the year. Then they will be looking for a starting pitcher.

LINEUP:
    Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Correa
    Ramos
    Gurriel
    Reddick
    White
    Tucker

BENCH:
    Maldonando/Stassi
    Kemp
    Marwin

ROTATION:
    Verlander
    Cole
    Morton
    McCullers/James
    Peacock/Valdez/McHugh

Bullpen:
    Osuna
    Pressly
    Smith
    Devenski
    McHugh
    Wilson/Watson
    Rondon
    Peacock/James/Harris

Snake Diggit likes this.
  16. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

While I'd favor a 35-40 homer stick in the middle of the line-up; when healthy, Altuve, Bregman Correa & Springer are all scary as **** type players.

17. texans1095

texans1095 Member

Anybody notice this twitter exchange between a fan and McHugh’s wife? Is she admitting that she knows McCullers has a torn UCL?

Houstunna and mikol13 like this.
  18. Marteen

Marteen Member

19. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Hello. My name is MadMax. I'm a Kyle Tucker skeptic.

SemisolidSnake, mikol13 and Nook like this.
  20. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Jumping to conclusions based on Luhnow’s press conference today:

McCann will be back. All other free agents will have to test the market.
    Stassi is likely to be included if they trade for a catcher.
    Luhnow is comfortable with a Kemp/White DH platoon.
    Tucker will be in LF.
    McCullers is out.
    They like their pitching prospects and will only add 1 SP from outside.
    The bullpen won’t change much.

Updated opening day roster prediction:

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    C Realmuto
    1B Gurriel
    LF Tucker
    DH White
    RF Reddick
    Bench: McCann, Kemp, Marisnick
    Rotation: Verlander, Cole, Gray, James, Peacock
    Bullpen: F Valdez, Devenski, Smith, Harris, McHugh, Rondon, Pressly, Osuna

Starting to think there are really only 2 needs: catcher who can hit 5th and SP who can start Game 3.