1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What we can learn from the Pelicans game

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Will, Oct 18, 2018.

1. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Pelicans are a good team. They play super fast despite playing big. It’s a nightmare. Typically teams that play super fast have to go small to so, but be pelicans have perfect athletes at 4/5 to play fast and big without giving up shooting.

The rockets since some point last season decided to stop playing the way coach wants them to play and have slowed down significantly.

We play slow and small against a team that is big and fast.

Y2JT, Houtho, buffalobills!!! and 5 others like this.
  2. txppratt

txppratt Contributing Member

some of this really is an extended season schedule - first time starting games this early... its like the veterans are playing like it was still preseason.

we do have new rotation guys - and some of that has to get worked out. the D was horrible and we should expect that to improve.

BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  3. Da Wink

Da Wink Member

our team is old..look at how PJ was huffing and puffing..cp3 is phasing his game...lack of hustle for rebounds..the mvp is coasting

Little Bit likes this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

PJ always scores well in the first games. Last season against GSW in the opening win.

5. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Something about Ennis release tell me he won’t be as productive as a three point shooter as Ariza. He doesn’t shoot it as fluently. His shot is ugly. It’s hard for me to trust an ugly shot. His shot is robotic like Kirk Snyder

6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think I have learned that teams will be obssessed with beating us and the Worriers.

7. apatel123

apatel123 Member

We looked old, lacked energy and athleticism. end of story

8. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

9. koopa

koopa Member

THey had PJ Tucker guarding Ant Davis..this isn’t kneejerk. The rockets defense lost size and got worse with losing mbah moute and ariza. Now they have mcw melo and ennis all of whom have no size or defense.

10. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Are you new here? ;)

11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Melo almost looked like Home Ryno replica

Mr. Dominant and BigShasta like this.
  12. steveng125

steveng125 Member

I think the new players need to get used to the system. We had a few preseason games but not enough time to build up the chemistry or get the defensive scheme set were everyone is on the same page. It looked like everyone was just winging it out there but I believe they will all gel and it will all come together.

13. gotsis

gotsis Member

We should give the Pelicans credit also. They played really well and exploited our lack of size. Capela just couldn't handle AD and Randle abused any switch we made. The worrying aspect is that the defense looked completely lost, that could be an issue with this roster.

Y2JT and Rashmon like this.
  14. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

We played 9
    Starters

Melo
    EG
    MCW
    GG

heypartner likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I don't think it's freaking out to say that we added lesser talent than last season and lost our defensive schemer, which has lowered our championship ceiling. We'll be a good team, but last night reinforced that.

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah but didn't Gerald play like 5 minutes?

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We are short,conceited, fat, old, and lackadaisical

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10 and he bricked all of his 4 shot attempts.

19. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

AD is ready for his MVP. Stay healthy big fella, it's coming. I would trade anyone outside of Harden to get him. Paul, Gordon, PJ, Capela and a 1st.

I know small ball is the obsession but it still has to be set up the right way. Seems like they kind of forced it, against a team with a good frontline no less. Making shots seems like a pretty key element to small ball... either make the shots or...you know...play guys with enough pants-sand to guard bigs. I have grown to hate MDA's preference of veterans. Young players can contribute, all players can expand their games unless you put a ceiling on them from the jump.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

you can play small ball but considering nene is hurt and it looks like mda doesn't trust his young back up right now, they were forced to play small for much of the game. yeah definitely not a fan of that. small ball works mostly in spurts, not extended minutes throughout the entirety of a game

HP3 and BaselineFade like this.