1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    It's Embiid and the Sixers taking on Brunson and the Knicks -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Mike Devlin

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

We keep talking about this shitty OL and BOB, but this is the ******* that coaches the shitty OL.

Why does he still have a job? Oh, I forgot, soon with the work he's displaying this season, he's going to get promoted to Asst. Head Coach. :)

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Man I want to punch you right now. I saw this and I thought it was some news about him and I got excited :mad:

Rockets34Legend and coachbadlee like this.
  3. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Sorry, I wish I had better news. Just wanted to put this guy on blast. Surprised he's able to get protection behind his shitty OL. :p

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The Texans do not have average talent on their OL. The GM is more to blame for assembling the OL talent than the OL coach is for developing said talent. Now we can safely say that Delvin has not got the OL to play "above" their talent level.

csj and Hank McDowell like this.
  5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Really, blaming Devlin? This is on O'Brien. He is the OC, he is the one who was "aligned" with Gaine, he is the one choosing the players, and it's his system and playcalling.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

"I don't even know where to begin with Mike Devlin," coach Bill O'Brien said. "I think he's one of the best line coaches I've ever been around. I've been around some great line coaches. I've been around Dante Scarnecchia, I've been around Doug Marrone, I've been around Ralph Friedgen, Pat Watson, Mac McWhorter.

"The list of offensive line coaches that I've been around and Mike Devlin's right there at the top. He's a great teacher. He's got a great demeanor. He really creates unity in his room. That's a real brotherhood within that room. They believe in him. I believe in him. I just think he's a very, very vital part of the staff."

7. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

It would be like blaming the qb coach for not making Savage or Brock into a franchise qb. The guy has dog poop to work with.

Hank McDowell likes this.
  8. theimpossibles1

I blame Kaepernick.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

If you want a scapegoat sure.

Kind of like how the Bucs did to the DC Mike Smith last week. I admit he was pretty freaking terrible but it wasn't all on him, the defense was still crap this past week and should remain the same throughout the season.

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

Look around the league. Every team has 2nd and 3rd stringers forced into the starting lineup. The Patriots, since everyone loves comparing themselves to NE, lost Nate Solder and Cam Fleming. Starting tackles. Their first round pick who was supposed to help them there is out for the season. Yet they just played a Sunday night game with 0 penalties and gave up two sacks. Kelemente was brought here because he performed very well when he was forced to start with the Saints. They remained successful with backup-level talent on the line.

And they chose to go with Davenport after seeing him last year and in training camp. They drafted Rankin who was better as a guard in college.

Bottom line is Devlin was not successful with the Jets and hasn't been here either. We can't keep making excuses.

11. csj

csj Member

Blaming Devlin sounds a lot like an excuse.

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

The OL is committing violence against a black man on a weekly basis, so Kaepernick would be concerned.