1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Very foolish of DW4 to take the hits he took.

I don't care if he was close to the goalline, and felt a real need to score.

The importance of keeping him healthy goes so far above and beyond any need for an extra 1 or 5 or 100 yards or an extra 1 or 2 or 10 touchdowns in a given season.

This is a guy you want to be your QB for the next 10-15 years. Staying healthy, not getting gun-shy and learning how to not get hit when running is how that happens.

After already having a season ending injury, even if completely unrelated to avoiding hits, he has to have that in the back of his mind.

What makes it more foolish is the results anyways. He wasn't getting those extra yards, as you wouldn't think he would given what you saw - multiple defenders closing in on him with absolutely 0% escape potential other than "just let me smash into them!". It's one thing in the open field with one guy bearing down to make a move. It's another when you're the QB and just trying to smash mouth football it. Frankly, because you're the QB, much better off just throwing it away at that point and coaxing the defense into a penalty.

Shark44, csj, mario_v and 1 other person like this.
  2. Sajan

Sajan Member

This thread will need to be renamed to Deshaun the dead if he keeps taking hits like that.

You are not Cam Newton.

3. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I think you guys need to understand that that game was a make or break game for our season and Deshaun needed to get those TDs... at some point you have to go all out to win games or you don’t succeed in this league.

Now he needs to know when to take those shots but if your going for a score and your team is in a do or die situation you have to go for it.

csj likes this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Watson took multiple BOOM hits.

Hope everything works out.

5. JayZ750

He didn’t score TDs in those plays.

And they still won.

Not a great case study to support that theory.

Moreover this team isn’t winning man the more games with Brandon Weeden as your starter. Win one game but lose you’re starting QB is way worse.

The broadcasts loves these probabilities now - win probability.

Absolutely the Texans needed to win the game. But their probability of making the playoffs still is much higher at 1-4 with DW4 than 2-3 without him.

Of course he didn’t score those touchdowns, they’re 2-3 and they still have him (we think but for how long if he keeps playing like that?!?)... so wtf do I know lol

6. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They are trying their hardest not to say "Bill Obrien and the O-line sucks". Instead they keep showing how the QB is not the problem.

Htownballer38 likes this.
  8. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Pretty sure if he knew he wasn't going to score a TD, he would have avoided the hits.

red5rocket, Nimo and conquistador#11 like this.
  9. JayZ750

As I noted, the outcome wasn't the key driver of my point...

... but was a point to consider afterwards.

10. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Sure, after the fact it's easy to say that it would have been better to not take the hard hit(s) because the TD wasn't needed. That being said, had they scored a couple of red zone TDs, chances are the game would not have gone into OT and subsequent hits would have been less due to the score and situation.

red5rocket likes this.
  11. JayZ750

There weren't that many overtime hits.

Also the philosophy that is go smash-mouth it regardless of injury is the same one that has DW4 doing that throughout the game. So, unless DW4 comes out of the game at some point in the 4th - he doesn't unless they're up by like 30 - the onyl thing avoided was a 3 minute OT drive where he didn't really get hit much, if I recall.

This isn't an after the fact comment.

EVERYONE while watching the play is seeing basically no room for Watson and thinking THROW IT!!! Sure, we're hoping he throws it to a guy busting lose for a TD, but to me at least, I just wanted him to get rid of the ball.

The point is, to the extent something it's situational... for DW4 it should be in how the play is unfolding, not what the play might get you. As I noted, DW4 rolls out, decides to run, and has one LB or DB to try and juke... go for it. Even though, sure, he might miss a guy and still get blasted. In some of these cases from Sunday night, he was just smashmouthing it.

Which again, I say he basically should NEVER do.

Or put another way, would it have been "ok" for Tom Brady to do that basically at any point in his career? I don't think so. Watson is more mobile, but it doesn't mean that should make it ok for him to try that type of stuff.

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Ranking all 32 starting quarterbacks in the NFL through Week 5

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Wow! More history being made. He is definitely on the wrong team.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

16. theimpossibles1

17. whag00

whag00 Contributing Member

Texans really need to consider shutting Watson down this week and starting Weeden against the Jags. After the Jacksonville game there are plenty of winnable games.

The Texans can still make a run in the second half of the season...but they need Watson to be right.

18. vonbock

vonbock Member

Let's see , if we had kept osweiler and not wasted all those picks, we might have a better offense. 2 1 st round picks and a second pick to put on offensive line and we would have the oline of the 90s oilers. Even osweiler could do better with that scenario than we got right now

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Not you again. If we would have kept Osweiler he would be broken in half by now. No stuck in the mud QB can play with a garbage O line and bad coaching. As a matter of fact Brock had a better line than we have now and he was terrible.

Rodman23 and Fulgore like this.
  20. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Some jokers should be ignored. You know dude is trolling. Lol especially when he brings up Brock Trashwieler

coachbadlee and Fulgore like this.