1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Bills @ Texans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 9, 2018.

1. marky :)

marky :) Member

Didn't think it was that bad but that is f'ing terrible.

macho GRANDE likes this.
  2. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

It's scary because there literally hasn't been any improvement from Davenport week to week. However, Deshaun also holds onto the ball way too long as well. Bad combination of an OL that doesn't do enough, and a QB who's trying to do too much.

deb4rockets and MadMax like this.
  3. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think the Texans should go back to using a FB.

I miss the days of Vonta Leach.

4. Nimo

Nimo Member

At this point, I'll take Jay Prosch.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. conquistador#11

Leach to the Beach!

vinsensual and J.R. like this.
  6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

These dudes are bad but they are not that bad. I think we have a scheme or coaching issue with the OLine because watching other teams I noticed Watson's pocket is much narrower at the end of his drop. Compare it to other pockets which keep a nice wide shell despite pressure. I'm telling you these dudes are having career lows at the same time and that's just not possible. Gotta be the coaching technique or style.

BigShasta and conquistador#11 like this.
  7. Nimo

Nimo Member

They need to go back to what they did against the Bengals last season and just have an extra lineman check in as an eligible receiver.
    Davenport, Fulton, Martin, Kelemente, Lamm, Rankin
    Watson
    Miller or Blue
    Hopkins, Fuller
    Coutee or Griffin

You still have 4 potential pass catchers

Hank McDowell and ipaman like this.
  8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This Sunday is going to be so unpredictable. It's hard to even give a fair evaluation of any teams in our division. They can all look terrible at times. I just hope the terrible Jags come out to play. The only thing predictable will be our stupid choice of play calling and our bad offensive line.

Let's hope Deshawn has an awesome game and our defense rattles Blake like he's never been rattled. I am hoping Kareem, Joseph and the Honey Badger have an interception frenzy. Go Texans!!!

BigShasta likes this.
  9. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

They started using backs on both flanks of Watson. BoB thought the protection was that bad.

Basically 7 blockers against a 4 man rush....

10. Nimo

Nimo Member

smh
    I would rather have an extra lineman than a smaller running back. None of the backs are built to block well enough to make much of a difference.

11. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Miller doesn't even try to block.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Second sack on Watson was Miller who did his best Kendall Lamm impersonation.

deb4rockets likes this.
  13. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Can someone explain this to me?

We have a bad OL but not nearly the worst in the league. Is Watson the most sacked because he's so mobile?

Another thing I don't really understand is that this offense is a hybrid of the Patriots offense yet that offense calls for a QB that can get the ball out quick. It feels like such a bad fit considering Watson holds on to the ball more than any QB I've seen this year (and maybe I'm wrong but that's how it feels). Maybe there's a stat somewhere that shows how long he's holding the ball on to?

Having a terrible OL aside, he shouldn't have that many more sacks than some of these other QBs who are mobile but also have bad OLs (Seattle, Minnesota)

The other possibility I've considered is how terrible our run game is too so maybe that adds to it a bit more?

BigShasta and deb4rockets like this.
  14. Nimo

Nimo Member

What's really frustrating is that we've seen Watson operate with quick slant passes in the past; especially to Ellington and Fuller. The receivers and TEs had shorter routes that eventually opened up the long game.

See how quickly the ball came out vs Seattle last season, everything was so open and spread out. We even see Kubiak's favorite bootleg in there.

Yes some of it is on the QB it looks like he is a little more skiddish but you're not helping him with calling plays that require the receivers time to get into their routes.

deb4rockets and conquistador#11 like this.
  15. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Defenses are getting by Davenport and Lamm pretty regularly if they aren't getting pushed back 2-3 yards. In either case, the pocket is closing in from the outside if not completely collapsing. You're saying it's not possible for all these guys to have careers lows at the same time but it is absolutely possible. It is also possible that these guys just aren't starting caliber tackles in the NFL. That's not to take blame away from coaching because that is certainly part of the issue.

But at the end, we have a 2nd year player out of Bucknell and an undrafted player from Appalachian State (who had already been waived once by the Texans) protecting the team's biggest asset.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

The Texans best offensive line only had one high draft pick in Duane Brown and a bunch of scrappy guys in Smith, Myers, Brisel, and Winston (3rd rounder like Rankin). The zone scheme really made a difference.

donkeypunch and conquistador#11 like this.
  17. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Talent also really made a difference

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Looks like Mercilus helped the bills out