1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Voter ID laws appear to be working to suppress Democrat votes

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 15, 2016.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Witness testimony is evidence.
    Voter fraud is, as my good friend pgabs is fond of saying, statistically insignificant.

2. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Imagine entire legislatures creating and passing laws to disenfranchise the blacks.

3. biina

biina Member

So how many people have been convicted inTexas for voter fraud during the last election?

4. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There were about a couple dozen people arrested (not even convicted) for voter fraud out of the tens of millions that vote. Those are over several different states and communities. Their votes aren't changing anything. Voter fraud almost never ever happens.

5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Meanwhile, in Georgia...

53,000 Ga. voter registration applications stalled ahead of election

Anyone want to guess what the day job is for the republican candidate for governor in Georgia? If you guessed that he's the Secretary of State (aka the person in charge of voter registration), you'd be correct. The republican candidate for governor is literally suppressing 53,000 votes for things as incredibly important as a missing hyphen. This part was particularly surprising to me because republicans NEVER try to suppress votes...especially African American votes...

Shocking.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many Republicans will be okay with this.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It's not a false equivalence and you saying so simply makes me believe you don't know what that means. There is a direct link between the constitutional right to vote and the constitutional right to purchase a firearm. If producing ID is viewed as an unacceptable financial barrier between a person and their constitutional right to vote then it must be viewed as an unacceptable financial barrier between a person and their constitutional right to purchase a firearm.

No, you feeble minded hack, I'm comparing the constitutional right to vote with the constitutional right to purchase a firearm. Try to keep up.

You do realize that you brought the topic up here right? It was a direct response to you talking about "free healthcare" that will only cost 4 trillion dollars a year meaning that you'd have to roughly double the amount of money the government currently takes from the people in order to pay for it.....but yeah, it's "free stuff"

cml750 likes this.
  8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Wrong.

All or substantially all.

B-Bob likes this.
  9. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yes, and while doing so, you are comparing guns to IDs.

I wonder, do you think people should have Identification for firearms? Bet you won't answer this honestly. The idea that the constitution would treat ID differently than firearms is because...well...they are different things, you sack hugging Trumptard.

Wrong.

Try to keep up here kiddo. I know that's asking a lot from you but please at least try!

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, no, I'm really not. I'm comparing the constitutional right to own a firearm with the constitutional right to vote. If you can't grasp that, I'm not sure how you hope to make any progress from here.

Fair enough, I never saw the earlier post, the reason I was talking about it was a direct response to your naive "free stuff" comment.

cml750 likes this.
  11. biina

biina Member

Just cos something is in the US constitution doesnt make them equivalent.

Following your fake equivalence logic, the constitution grants right to free speech, so people should be required to present govt ID before speaking!

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Now this is what a false equivalence truly is. Free speech, unlike voting or purchasing a firearm, are things that one can do inherently with no assistance from others. It's similar to the pursuit of happiness in the regard. Voting or purchasing firearms are rights that require the assistance or cooperation from others. When you are going to demand the assistance or cooperation from others, is it too much to ask that you prove who you are and that you are entitled to that assistance or cooperation? Your argument is that it is too much to ask when it comes to voting but is not too much to ask when it comes to buying a firearm. The inherent inconsistency of your stance is what you need to fix.

Either an ID is too large of a financial burden to put in between people and their rights, or it is not. Personally I'm fine requiring ID for either....because it's just common sense....but feel free to fix the inconsistencies in your logic however best you see fit.

cml750 likes this.
  13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Serious question:
    Instead of making this a partisan issue, why do we not hold politicians accountable for voter reform?

Why is it there are groups who fight for social justice that only effect a fraction of the people but ignore significantly major issues that effect everyone?

Do you realize voter suppression effects everyone? Do you realize we have such a low turnout when it comes to voting? Because its a pain in the ass.
    Where do I vote?
    Am I registered?
    Who do I vote for?
    How long will I be waiting for?
    When do polls open/close and when is early voting?

For people who think the constitution is archaic, its our whole voting system that is archaic. Its manipulated by both sides and neither party wants the change that is needed.

14. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we're not to the level of the 60s assassinations or the 90s with bombings but certainly agree that's the path the country is heading down.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I mean, we kind of are. The radicalization of the left led to a crazy ******* shooting up a congressional baseball game and if he was a better shot, more than Steve Scalise would have been seriously hurt. I mean, if a competent shooter did the same thing, you could have had a dozen dead congressmen and senators......and despite things like that already having happened as a result of left wing radicalization, you still have politicians on the left calling for an outright end to civility and more violence.

If the far left continues to radicalize, it's only a matter of time before the far right does and then we'll really have problems. The best thing for everyone is for some competent leadership to show up on the left and talk them back towards sanity before it's too late.

cml750 and John Oliver like this.
  16. biina

biina Member

ROTFLMAO - whoever stopped you from manufacturing your own gun eh? (more so another idiot has put the plans online). The constitution grants the right to bear and not to buy arms. You denied the details when equating voting to gun rights, so please leave said details out the free speech comparison.

If there is a clear problem of voter fraud, then it is fine to look at laws to combat it it. Instead the GOP are claiming to create laws to address a non-existent issue, and it thus becomes obvious that its simply a guise to seek undue political advantage. People like you who approve are also complicit.

The GOP are the party that always work to subvert democracy. Because they are in the minority, they always seek for way to suppress the voice of the majority via gerrymandering, voting laws and any other underhanded tool they can come up with. They have already wrecked all the states they are in control of and are simply looking for more opportunities to spread their decay. Unfortunately for them, their only end reward is to end up on the wrong side of history.

17. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This just flat out isn't an intelligent response to what I said. I'm embarrassed for you.

Barriers to purchasing a firearm are barriers to keeping and bearing arms just the same as barriers to registering to vote would be barriers to being able to vote. So perhaps try again.

As to "if there is a clear problem of voter fraud", there is the potential for it, which means that there is a reason to ensure it doesn't happen. At one point carrying box cutters on commercial airlines wasn't a "clear problem"....but wouldn't we have been better off if they had foreseen the potential for a problem and stopped it ahead of time? I mean, what is the downside for ensuring that people are who they claim to be when they go to vote? I haven't really heard a compelling argument here that wouldn't also apply to other constitutionally guaranteed rights where requiring ID is not seen as too great a financial burden.

It's also funny that you see ensuring that people are who they say they are when going to vote is "subverting democracy", that's just such a backwards way of thinking that there's no way to reconcile it with the real world.

cml750 likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Voter fraud that is solved by identification isn't and will never be an issue because the motivation for an individual to believe their individual vote matters so much that they are willing to have the slight chance of being caught with voter fraud is practically non-existent.

Voter suppression by policitians who have the actual power to enact policies that make it a hindrance to vote is an actual legitimate problem.

19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I'm not disagreeing with you on the big picture. But this particular case that I brought up is clearly partisan. 70% of the registrations held are African American. You don't think the Secretary of State who happens to be the GOP candidate for Governor at the same time isn't playing partisan games?

20. biff17

biff17 Member

I agree with a lot of this except there is the fact that democrats have been pushing for things like voter and drivers license to be tied together for years.

Guess who has been against that.