1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Anime watchers out there?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Marteen, May 6, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I still like it. S1 hasn't been matched in the manga, but if you treat it as a novel, many of the characters mean and represent something.

The series is definitely peaks and valleys. The 2nd half of s3 will be out next year. Pacing and answers will be better than this one.

... But the thirteen episodes after that will be a snoozefest with tons of exposition and building.

I would check out kiss manga dot com. They have an option to load the entire chapter in a single page

2. omgTHEpotential

Thanks! Will do.

3. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

Overlord is so good. I like how they ended it. Hope there's a season 4.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I know it is not Anime . .. per se . . .. . but does Samurai JAck get better?
    I watched the 1st two episodes
    People swear by it but .. . . i an not sure

Rocket River

5. Jmcballer88

Jmcballer88 Contributing Member

Bro I can't believe I slept on this. This is the craziest anime I've ever seen.

6. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Without knowing what show I was discussing, if I called it the GOAT it had to be Steins;Gate.

I'm not sure what my favorite anime was before I watched it, and I'm not sure what's number 2 for me now, but I can say with absolute certainty it is my personal favorite. Some people didn't love the first half, but I actually preferred it. My favorite quality in a show/movie is intrigue. You know something deeper is going on, but have to wait for the characters to get to the bottom of it. That combined with the humor was just a perfect combo for me. And that's before the craziness of the second half.

I actually watched the sub first, which is unusual for me if a dub is available, and I loved it immediately. Watched the dubbed version a little later, and it blew it out of the water for me. The translated humor of the subs didn't come across nearly as well as the dialogue in the dubbed version IMO.

7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

And speaking of Steins Gate, the VA for Hououin Kyouma is basically doing the Kyouma voice in Zombieland Saga.

Which is apparently a show about a zombie idol group. I watched it, and loved every second. Just the kind of stupidity I want in my anime. Don't know if it will descend into typical moe idol crap, but the first episode was some good s**t.

Bunnygirl Senpai also has a pretty solid first episode, otherwise not looking like a great crop for the fall season.

8. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

That part is its biggest weakness imo, it wasn't really deep and a ton of the plot was wasted on the "safe the girl" route. Doesn't help that said girl is maybe the most annoying female character in anime (tuturuuuuuu *ears bleed*) and had little redeeming qualities, as most of the cast.
    I'd maybe give it a 7/10, really mediocre-annoying characters and a time travel plot that could've been so much deeper.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I tried watching the spinoff/prequels to steins gate but forgot the details to the original story.

Are those worth watching?

Weirdly, I’ve thought Madonna Magica as a series similar to Steins Gate even if the genres are different, if only for it’s deceptive darkness.

10. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

rewatching dbz ---I know some of it is cheesy but easily one of the greatest shows ever. The frieza arc was the best after seeing it all again, the mountains they have to climb on namek, with how infinitely stronger frieza is just makes goku's legendary transformation that much better.

The show continued to give the goods in the cell saga which was absolutely amazing, but if goku had died the legendary super saiyan on namek it would have been fitting as well

Yung-T and DreamShook like this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

It seems like every series I start on Netflix or Amazon is really interesting for about 3 episodes with a serious tone, but then they have to introduce some giggly, goofball character that ruins the show.

Yung-T likes this.
  12. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I didn't think so.

0 survives solely on your emotional attachment to the previous show for any real effectiveness. The first couple of episodes were really intriguing, but the show just spun it's wheels for most of it without ever really building a strong narrative of it's own. And the signature humor is mostly missing.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

The story doesn't really advance from Samurai Jack just trying to get back home and beat Aku. The story remains the same, but you get stand out episodes. You get introduced to funny characters and Jack's Motivations. It's a monster of the week type of show built around putting Samurai Jack in different situations as a man lost in time. Final season is the only time the story advances and reaches a conclusion.

14. omgTHEpotential

Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken - the first 3 episodes were pretty interesting, reminds me of Overlord in a way since it also has an OP protagonist.

TheRedRanger likes this.
  15. TheRedRanger

TheRedRanger Member

I love this show so far. It's funny, has great animation, and the story is somewhat different then what we normally see from the going in to another world shows. Goblin Slayer is another good show that just started. It's like a grim and darker fantasy story.

omgTHEpotential likes this.
  16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Finally some movement in Attack on Titan

Rocket River

17. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Goblin Slayer is watchable, but nothing special to me. I think the shock value of the first episode created more hype than it deserves. If rapey goblins become an ongoing theme, I'll probably drop it. Not offended by it, but I have no desire to watch it either.

Feel the same about the Slime anime, it's nice disposable entertainment, but I've seen nothing too special from it. Just another OP character in another world anime. I'll probably stick with it all the way through as long as it doesn't become too generic.

I've tried a handful this season, and Bunnygirl senpai is the only thing I've seen that has the potential to be memorable.

18. SemisolidSnake

How did I not know about this thread? *shakes head*

Anyway, the number one term my friends and I keep using for Attack on Titan Season 3 is "weird." Weird story, weird focus, weird execution.

I mean, I can be pretty forgiving of quirky aspects of certain shows, but I can barely follow what the hell they're talking about in this season. I'm still onboard, though, hoping for a good ultimate payoff...eventually. (I should note that I'm only watching the anime.)

The series definitely seems to suffer from its own initial success. Season 1 draws you into a brutal world that really locked more fans in than I've ever seen. Then, they decide to go try to develop the backstory and mystery and politics and betrayals, and it's like, yeah, you can't back that far off from that initial intensity or else things aren't going to go so well. Especially when we're waiting 2 years per installment.

Season 3 is probably a good binge watch. Just get the momentum going and don't have to worry about what was said the previous week like I am watching it on Toonami.

Torn n Frayed and Rocket River like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Just getting to the exciting part.

I think the ability to BINGE helps Anime so much
    waiting week to week sucks

Rocket River

20. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I keep getting Eren and Irvin (Blond Leader Guy) mixed up when they mention their names

Rocket River