1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Preseason Melo == Olympic Melo

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Oct 5, 2018.

1. kevcai

kevcai Member

Yes! His pump fake, one dribble pull-up is a thing of beauty. It was so frustrating to watch Harden get Ariza an advantage and he would pump fake without losing the defender and kick it back out to Harden. Long 2's will never be a focal point of our offense but it's a good shot if it's wide open.

Melo's ability here adds a new dimension to our offense.

2. icewill36

icewill36 Member

The biggest reason Melo was bad last year was BILLY DONOVAN. He isn’t half the coach mike D is. Harden and cp3 being better playmakers than Russ and PG helps too, but it’s mostly poor coaching. He has no idea what to do with the talent he has and needs to go back to college ball.

3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

So the Preseason winners should be given gold, silver, bronze medals?

4. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I beg to differ this is a false narrative. Cp3 was here last year too. The reason why it will work is he wanted to be here. Even last year his first choice was houston.

5. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

Exactly. That wasnt some humbling experience lmao. Its just a better fit here period. I guess thats gonna be a narrative if it's a success here smh

DonKnock likes this.
  6. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I said it n people laughed at me on here. I said rockets would have the most dynamic offense we have ever seen on the rockets. N that our offense would make up for the i thought little drop off n d. Wasnt even worried ,about the d. I kept thinking about melo being 5 times better then Anderson. Not being scared when Harden is having a drunk game....freaking winning a game 7 against golden state. We had melo last here we win period

#26 mike2k132, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  7. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

I think another aspect of Melos game that was criminally underutilized last year was his rebounding (Padbrook lel). He is very good at positioning and boxing out. If it is a defensive rebound he has the passing ability to outlet and start the break. If it is an offensive rebound he is a good enough finisher to go right back up with a crafty finish.

With the shot clock only resetting to 14 now after an offensive rebound this will be even more impactful.

8. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

As a 4 or 5 in our system, there are very few players in the league that can take advantage of him.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

10. BigBum

BigBum Member

It's enjoyable to see a new Melo thread each day since SAS and Max can only give us 2 new threads within 5 days.

Melo is still a superstar, I'd give him more shots a game. He only have 15 shots in 2 games.

He is still a great 3 point shooter.

incredible high degree of shot accuracy and efficiency!

I watched highlight last night. MCW is better than 28-years old real game Michael Jordan.

#30 BigBum, Oct 5, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Morey has a pretty good track record.

Plowman likes this.
  12. amaru

amaru Member

Basically everything we want Anderson to be for a 1/10th the price.

Williamson, DonKnock and hakeem94 like this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right on, top!

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

On OKC, boxing out is done not to actually GET a rebound, but to free one up so Russ can snag it.

15. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I'm still concerned about the D. We'll just have to wait and see how it plays out. I do find it reassuring that MCW appears to be earning a spot in the rotation. That may not actually be a significant factor in helping the Rockets be a good defensive team this year, but it's something I can fixate on with my limited basketball acumen.

BamBam and Little Bit like this.
  16. mike2k132

mike2k132 Member

I get what ur saying but u dont have to have a great defense to win contrary to belief

hakeem94 likes this.
  17. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

How long will the "Olympic Melo" myth last on CF? He was good for the first Olympics and played meh in subsequent Olympics. I think he shot around 40%. Nothing special.

hakeem94 likes this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Olympia Melo is not about how much he scores or how well he shoots, it's about him working within a system and not being a ball-hog.

19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

He didn't work well though. He was a scorer who scored inefficiently. He was his normal self.

20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Let me put it differently: When people say "Olympic Melo," they mean the Melo who doesn't mind taking a backseat to others on his team and is okay not being the #1 option on offense. It's not about scoring and efficiency, it's about willingness to fit into a more team-oriented culture than he's seen at most of his NBA stops.

At least that's how I've been reading it.