1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros hire Joe Espada to replace Alex Cora

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Sydeffect, Nov 2, 2017.

1. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

2. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Good move for a number of reasons...2 of which being that we will certainly see the Yankees again in the playoffs soon and he was the Puerto Rico manager for the WBS. I like this almost as much as I hate losing Cora.

RasaqBoi likes this.
  3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Amazing move!!! U know Correa loves it. Keep ur guy happy.

4. PavlovsDog

PavlovsDog Member

There goes my theory of Beltran getting the job.

5. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Don't worry, Beltran will still have a job

6. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I don't know all the political machinations, etc., but I would GUESS that if Beltran does indeed retire and goes into coaching, that he'll be developed in the minor leagues. I don't think it's very common for guys to move from the field to an MLB bench overnight. There is (probably) SOME dues-paying.

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Angels have interest in Astros bench coach Joe Espada as a managerial candidate, ESPN.com’s Marly Rivera reports. The 43-year-old Espada previously worked as a third base coach for the Marlins and Yankees before taking his current position in Houston last winter, and Espada has also been a coach for Puerto Rico in the World Baseball Classic and a manager in the Puerto Rican winter league. Espada has ties to Angels GM Billy Eppler, as both worked together with the Yankees in 2014-15, plus Espada briefly played in the Rockies’ minor league system in 2001 when Eppler was a scout in the Colorado organization.

http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-41036324-4

A source with knowledge of the Angels thinking tells ESPN that Houston's bench coach Joe Espada has drawn interest from the club as they expand their managerial search.‬ Espada replaced Alex Cora, who served as the Astros bench coach for one season before being named Red Sox manager.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I suppose this happens to all the top clubs, but its really aggravating having our staff picked off constantly.

Yea, I get that these guys want to move up in the grand scheme of things. I am happy for them in that respect.

9. HatsForBats

HatsForBats Member

As long as we keep Strom(out of the support staff) I'm happy

Marteen and HTown2017Champs like this.
  10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Mike Elias will likely be offered a GM position this offseason.

11. Buck Turgidson

He deserves it.

The perils of hiring great people and then having success....

Marteen and jim1961 like this.
  12. Malaya

Malaya Member

Would Beltrán be interested? He had such chemistry with the guys.

I know he wants to stay in New York but they had already rejected him.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  13. Malaya

Malaya Member

No, not Elias. He's got to stay until we win multiple World Series.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

I don't think he gets back into the dugout unless he's the manager.

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Which could very well happen this year.

16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Source: Cubs, Astros bench coaches among those interviewed for Rangers managerial opening

The Rangers have begun the interview process for manager.

According to a source, the club has interviewed three candidates this week, including assistant general manager Jayce Tingler. The Rangers also spoke with Chicago Cubs bench coach Brandon Hyde in Arlington and held a formal phone interview with Houston bench coach Joe Espada since the Astros are still alive in the playoffs.

17. Marteen

Marteen Member

My biggest fear. You know it’s coming, and it’s gonna hurt.

18. J.R.

J.R. Member

19. Nook

Nook Member

I am spending my time in Chicago mostly at this point.

You would not believe the level of arrogance coming from Epstein and Hoyer.

As far as they are concerned all the problems the Cubs have are a result of Joe Maddon..... the guy that they picked to manage the team.

The Cubs struggles aren't because they signed Hayward, Chatwood, Darvish and Morrow. It isn't because they gave Torres to the Yankees and Jiminez to the White Sox for Quintana. It isn't because they have drafted poorly recently or gutted their farm system.

Point being, I know that getting a job is hard..... but with the Cubs not adding payroll, and with bad contracts and a combative front office... I wouldn't want that job as much as other would.

mikol13, vince, SLRokJok and 2 others like this.
  20. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

Epstein isn't perfect, and the Cubs don't weaponize their market advantages as much as they should, but that's a great job any day of the week and twice on Sunday.
    You have talent on the roster, you have brains in the FO, and you have deep pocketed owners that have shown they will spend well into the luxury tax, they just won't do it indefinitely.
    I'd put that job as on par with Boston- it's really the NL mirror image only without the PITA of being in the Yankees division. My job list would be as follows:

Dodgers
    Yankees
    Astros
    Cubs/Red Sox

Astros below the Dodgers and Yankees b/c I think both of those teams would keep every FA they decide to, payroll be damned, and I think the Astros are going to lose some generational talent over the next couple years. The other 4 teams have shown they will go into the tax to keep a team together (even if they do duck it after 2 or 3 times and getting hit by the repeater) while the Astros are not in as good a position market wise.
    I think Lunhow is the smartest of all 5 of those FO, but I think they are all really pretty good (Boston TBD- but I think they have some institutional knowledge and smart owners that would make me believe that they will get a good GM this off season).

Next tier I'd probably have Padres, Giants, Cardinals, Braves, Nationals, Rays in some particular order.

Bottom tier would be Miami & the Mets. Those teams are clown shows I wouldn't want any part of unless I was really desperate (like already had a job as a skipper and didn't see any prospects to get back in the game anywhere else).

Nook likes this.