1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Carter Williams/James Ennis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Oct 2, 2018.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

I understand what you are trying to say however on a talent basis there is a reason Knight makes 15M and MCW makes vet min.

Think about it if MCW is so good how come he didn't get anything more than vet min? He doesn't need to be near elite at anything if he is making the vet min, Joe Chee for example is elite only at Chinese Yuan but he is still on the team because he is on a rookie salary. More importantly if he was elite at anything MCW would get more than vet min

I like MCW a lot but in terms of depth he should be the 5th guy behind Harden, Paul, Gordon and Knight. Balance may be important but overall talent is more important hence why GSW signed Boogie even if they already have iffensive weapons in Klay, Steph and KD.

2. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

He isnt even telling him to do anything special.. All MCW is doing is pushing the rock and slashing to the basket.

MCW sometimes pushes the ball so Harden doesn't have to. Notice MCW usually takes off with the ball, then when there is nothing in transition, gives the ball up to Harden. It looks like this is a plan too because Harden just trots behind without asking for the ball. Remember when Clutchfans would whine about Harden pushing the ball? Don't think that will be a problem

Since he isn't counted on to get a three, MCW is ALWAYS slashing into the lane. Last year, Harden and CP3 would get caught in the lane trying to pass from the paint to a 3 point shooter. MCW is bailing them out by running in behind them when they drive.

Everyone was sh-tting all over this signing. MCW is doing his thing.

#102 DreamShook, Oct 4, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  3. baubo

baubo Member

I’m very surprised that given MCW skill set he hasn’t at least carved out some sort of a niche role before this season. Dude can’t shoot but looks like he can be a capable backup PG. yet this has been something he’s failed to do for a few years now so I’m only cautiously optimistic

robgue likes this.
  4. sage281

sage281 Member

I actually like the pick up from the jump but for a totally different reason. He is lookin like he should be the 6th/7th man.

DreamShook likes this.
  5. CXbby

CXbby Member

Luc got the vet min too, doesn't mean a different situation can't unlock more value. In fact Morey telegraphed that exactly when he said he thinks their pickups this offseason can outplay their contracts. Also like I said MCW's offense has fallen off a cliff after injuries. Some fans will tell you he is one of the worst players in the NBA, and that is simply not true. However he has been one of the worst offensive players in the NBA, and overall he has been a net negative. And if he continued to play this way, a vet min is exactly what players like that deserve. However the Rockets hope that by changing his role and accentuating his strengths he can be more than a vet min player.

Also, the reason why Knight is paid $15m is because he is on a contract that he signed when he was playing at his best(which was still overpaid). If MCW signed a contract after his rookie season, he would be getting paid over $10m as well. But I can guarantee you this, if Knight was a free agent today, he would 100% be signing the same vet min contract MCW did.

Rashmon, clutchdabear and hakeem94 like this.
  6. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

He's 27 years old, he was an old rookie. How old do you think he is? He had 5 seasons with 4 teams suggesting that playing his style doesn't work over a season, so yes, if he just does exactly what he has done before, he will not be good, sorry.

This isn't his first time having good games. He dropped 23/9/6 on Houston when he was with Chicago shooting 11/18, and during the real season. Back in 15-16 he shot 55%+ FG in 18/54 games. The thing is that NBA is about the long game, how good of a player you are is based on what you want do in 7/10 games, not what you can do in the 3/10 games.

Don't misunderstand what I'm saying. I hope he does well, and I'm rooting for him to do so, but you don't do the same thing you've done for 287 games which proved you were a bad player and suddenly be an average player, that is unless you improve your skills alot, or you do something different.

#106 ThunderStruck, Oct 4, 2018
    hakeem94 likes this.
  7. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Morey got productive seasons out of Corey Brewer and Josh Smith, woe betide those who doubt his judgement.

8. CXbby

CXbby Member

MCW is going to miss layups and shoot air balls come the regular season and it will drive some fans crazy. Guaranteed he will have "haters" on this board. But he plays with heart and makes winning plays. He is going to be a net positive in this system. Don't forget he was drafted by Hinkie, the same school of thought as our GM, so there is something there they like.

Ennis is what he is, an average player. His defense is a bit overrated - it looks tough but really it is undisciplined. His offense has upside in our system though. I think he will shoot a higher 3% than Ariza or Luc, and he will get you 1-2 runout layups every game. He is a definite downgrade from Ariza though, but that's the wrong way to look at it. The guy replacing Ariza is Eric Gordon, and that is an upgrade. The guy replacing Luc is Ennis, and that is a slight downgrade(but huge upgrade in the playoffs since Luc didn't play). The guy replacing Eric Gordon is Carmelo, and I am hopeful that it will be a lateral move there. Then you have MCW, maybe Knight, and one of the young centers(Hartenstein?) contributing to depth that the Rockets didn't have last year. Look at it that way and you see why Morey/coaches believe they got better.

brownxmas, Chanmarr, Rashmon and 5 others like this.
  9. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

I have no contention about that, and that's my point, if he does more than that, which means he's earning those minutes, then it is because something is different, either his skills have really improved somewhere, or he's really embraced and shown to be able to consistently play another way that makes him a guy you can keep on the court for longer stretches. He won't just play the same way he's played for 5 years and suddenly become a guy that should be staying on the court for more than spot minutes for a good...great team.

10. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Injuries played a huge part in all of that. During his rookie season he was on his way up. The role he will be playing here is not that taxing. So far he's been very solid. Give the him time is all I'm saying.

11. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

he was raining 3s in practice and afraid to shoot 3s in a game. interesting.

12. matchesmalone

matchesmalone Member

PG: Paul-Knight
    SG: Harden-Gordon-Green
    SF: Ennis-MCW
    PF: Tucker-Anthony
    C: Capela-Hartenstein/Chriss-Nene

Who's going to get the last roster spot, Bruno or Clark? Can we send Chriss to the Vipers if he disappoints or does he have to be on the roster? Having four centers sounds tough and I've really like Clark so far.

#112 matchesmalone, Oct 4, 2018
  13. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I like the facts that MCW knowing himself being a terrible shooter and when he was playing with the starters, he seldom shoot 3s but he will drive a lots.

This is a good thing actually, this team have stars to draw lots of fouls, anyone that is young enough and willing to drive is actually a good fit for this system.

I think he will be fine.

Y2JT and hakeem94 like this.
  14. CXbby

CXbby Member

Also I hate how everyone is comparing MCW to Livingston, Clyde did it again tonight. It's a lazy comparison. Yes they have the same body type and both can't shoot 3s. But Livingston lives off mid ranges(that's his entire game) and hasn't played above average defense in years. The next time MCW takes a single mid range shot, haven't shot one yet in Houston, then you can tell me how similar he is to Livingston.

Emtenndo and hakeem94 like this.
  15. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I have no problem that MCW will miss layups, he brings something else this team really wants : Drive.

CP3 is old and he doesn't have that first step anymore and you also don't want to see him drive often (injuries), same as Harden, you don't see him run in any fast break nowadays anymore.

But both of our stars will draw lots of fouls, if we will get someone that really loves to drive and will have some size, that fit perfectly to our team.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. Texanasiafan

Texanasiafan Member

I think MCW and Ennis will be both fine.

It will be very interesting to see how John Lucas will transform Chriss from a pile of **** to a useful NBA rotation player.

The Rox is his last hope.

Chanmarr and hakeem94 like this.
  17. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Maybe in the past he was asked to take on more of a role than he would have here. Then also there was injury concerns at some point.

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The comparison isn't just about their game.

Its about the impact.

Livingston comes off the bench to relive the pressure off the starters and gives them solid production and he resurrected his career on the Warriors.

If MCW has the same impact while coming off the bench, even though he might do it differently, and resurrects his career here, then yes it is an apt comparison.

Whether he is actually going to do it is a while different matter. Livingston's career got derailed because of injuries. MCW hasn't figured it out yet. That's where the biggest difference is.

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I still think it's a good comparison. Besides the body type, they both do stuff outside the normal team system to disrupt the opposition. MCW is "Our Livingston", just because MCW plays better defense and slashes to the rim instead of mid range jumpers doesn't make the comparison less true, IMO.

brownxmas and hakeem94 like this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another above average game from MCW, we just have to live without his 3s.

Chanmarr likes this.