1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Michael Carter Williams/James Ennis

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaneB, Oct 2, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I thought both Ennis and MCW looked solid. As expected, on the Rockets they highlighted their strengths and hid their weaknesses. I have a feeling fouling is going to be an issue with Ennis this season so hopefully he can keep that down.

MCW finished at the rim better than I expected and that is a good sign. The fact he can be a positive out there without shooting is excellent.

Hey guys, the Rockets "garbage unit" actually might be able to PROTECT A LEAD! That would be refreshing. And allow MDA to have faith to take out Harden/Paul earlier in blowouts.

I like that MCW can be deployed as both a 3rd PG or as just a secondary/tertiary ball handler out on the wing. Nice versatile swiss army knife.

DreamShook, Vivi, amaru and 2 others like this.
  2. esketit

esketit Member

Nice, long bodies good for defensive versatlitly .. always knew ennis would fit right in but I have been pleasantly surprised by mcw.....

D-rock and hakeem94 like this.
  3. MystikArkitect

#itsthesystem

D-rock and kevcai like this.
  4. kevcai

kevcai Member

Agreed -- the system puts everybody in the right place and gives them a defined role to thrive in. Put MCW in the role as "lotto pick that needs to develop into a star and create offense for others" and he'll fail 10/10 times. Put the same MCW into a system where his role is "play hard, disrupt on defense, slash to basket when Harden/CP3 sucks in the defense, and be secondary playmaker off a swing pass" then he has a chance to really shine.

He still has enough length, athleticism, defense and secondary playmaking skills to be a contributor in this league.

5. MystikArkitect

Precisely. I saw this yesterday where he faked out a defender, then dished it to Chriss for an easy putback.

This team is going to be silly.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Morey got both these guys for less than what Luc got combined.

DonKnock, Williamson, dje243 and 10 others like this.
  7. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Exactly what the doctor ordered against GS.

MorningZippo and Hakeemtheking like this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ennis - Vet Min contract
    MCW - NG Vet Min contract
    Melo - Vet Min contract
    Green - Vet Min contract

Ariza - 15M
    Moute - 4M
    Anderson - 20M

alethios, Bobsputin, Deckard and 13 others like this.
  9. rkh-dog

rkh-dog Member

Still trying to reckon how Morey did that. Must be a wizard. Remember when Rox got a "D" for off-season moves? [Morey laughs while doin' what wizards do]

10. mockster

mockster Member

I give MCW a hard time but he played okay. I think he could be good on defense and passing.

My only concern is that even though he was able to score. It was cringy watching him do it. Any of those buckets he scored could’ve been a miss, so I’m not totally convinced on him just yet but sending postive vibes his Way

hakeem94 likes this.
  11. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is good at attacking the rim...being trailer to harden hell always get a lot of good looks to be effective in layups

mockster likes this.
  12. mockster

mockster Member

I agree, I feel like he’s improved. It’s just the way he scores when he drives it’s a little bit chaotic Brewer style and almost as if he’s to weak with contact. It’s just a little cringy and every play I was wondering if he would even make it based on his funky takes in the hole but nonetheless he got it done

But aslong as he’s consistently scoring I’ll leave it be.

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. hakeemthagreat

I like the fact MCW pushes the ball with the defense not able to set up. That'll be crucial when the offense bogs down. I didn't like the signing initially, but I think I was wrong. The guy will take tons of pressure off CP & Harden by his playmaking ability

hakeem94 and JuNx like this.
  14. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

His speed while handling the ball may be his only above average NBA skill but if he can hold his on on defense he should be able to fit in with that 2nd unit.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

People laugh at Morey every year.

Remember when CP3+Harden was silly and they'd never share the ball? The media never mentions that anymore nowadays...

That's why I've learned to STFU and trust Morey. He knows what he's doing and has deserved the benefit of the doubt.

16. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I know these highlights are from 3 years ago, but look at what MCW is doing against the Warriors. Most of it is attacking the paint and passing.

dje243 likes this.
  17. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

he is a better player than ariza.. and a lot cheaper too...

18. bj3175

bj3175 Member

The only problem is the rox paid the difference in saving to CP3, Harden and Capela

hakeem94 likes this.
  19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Memphis also should look very bad.

Gasol will decline a tad, Conley Jr. won't make a difference on the offensive end.

20. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

No problem in my eyes of paying the very best in the world all the money.

DonKnock, Y2JT, Williamson and 4 others like this.