1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Plenty to like in Rockets preseason opener

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Nice write up Clutch. We should all be very encouraged with what we saw last night. Ennis and MCW will contribute immediately. And we have yet to see PJ or Wright.

I think we are better than last year.

3. BowlingBaller

BowlingBaller Member

Definitely a good start to the season!

Still some unsolved mysteries though, like who will handle all the pump faking now that Ryno is gone?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Great recap, and thx for all the tweet highlights last night.

"For crying out loud, we even saw Carmelo setting screens to free Paul." -- Clutch​

Not surprising.

They did this on Team USA, too. It's also our standard Pick n Pop that Ariza, Ryno ran, so unless Melo rebels against giving picks, this is a given that Melo will run this with Paul, like on Team USA. We'll see Melo setting picks with Capela in a 3-man PnR, too.

I look forward to Melo driving against close-outs. At least that long-two was a good sign he won't Head Fake and pass back to Harden/Paul.

DonKnock, IvanLCPM, Voltik and 5 others like this.
  5. rhinomft

rhinomft Member

I agree with most of this. Nice recap and validation that I wasn't watching through rose colored glasses. My one concern was the new ref "point of emphasis" on Freedom of Motion. In the first half it seemed almost specifically designed against our switch-everything defensive philosophy. Very one sided application and led to multiple techs in an exhibition game. However it did seem to even out in the second half and Memphis was getting frustrated. Will be interesting to watch the adjustments and if the NBA can really enforce this rule. Much like holding in the NFL you could call it on every play just about.

clutchdabear, carib and Lawlruschang like this.
  6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Great recap @Clutch!

Really liked what I saw from Ennis and MCW. Nice to have some "young legs with bounce" on the wings. MCW completely played to his strengths. He might end up being a sneak versatile swiss army knife for this team. 3rd PG or on the wing as a secondary/tertiary ball handler.

Hey, our "garbage units" might actually be able to protect a lead for once! Wouldn't that be nice. Give MDA some confidence to pull Harden/Paul out of the game early during blowouts.

We'll see, but feels like Chriss is being showcased and that is a good idea. They gotta know what they have by Oct 31st.

Melo had 13pts on 3-6 3ptrs, 4 rebounds and was a PLUS 8 for the game. He had a lot of nights for OKC where his +/- was negative.

Again, players are being maximized, playing to their strengths in MDA's system.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

For those who missed the Headfake, long-two, and apology to bench.

Lawlruschang, Rashmon, saleem and 3 others like this.
  8. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

How can you miss EG.

Here are my points.

Chriss: He fits us perfectly... but boy is he RAW!

He just needs to keep working and slowly but surly he is going to be a piece for us moving forward.

EG: So unbothered. Knows he isnt going anywhere and the Rockets are not dumb enough to trade him. I love this guy. He still has the fire, has shed the injury label, and is ready to rock out. I think the Rockets have let him know that he isnt going to be traded for Butler.

With Tucker back.... this team is going to be trouble for the NBA. Well balanced. WE are blessed to have DM as GM.

9. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Solid D+ offseason!

10. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

did not see sights of brandon knight, is he still injured?

11. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

My question is if we will have Melo try to shoot from as far as Ryno did. That would be interesting to see.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  12. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I agree. Chris Paul is one of the best passers in the league and M Chriss was still having trouble catching all kinds of passes. He needs to get used to having his head up at all times since this team is so much more dynamic than the Suns black holes he is used to.

Lawlruschang likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I dont understand... various posters told me Melo was selfish and 'washed'... I believe a 'vet min scrub' was how he was termed - and nobody else wanted him... ;) lol

14. kjayp

I cant swear to it... but I thought I heard he shot 42% on uncontested 3's last season... I think he'll see plenty of those this year! :)

Lawlruschang likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun believe he can succeed in every NBA team though.

There are probably only 2-3 teams where he can make a difference, this one is a top choice.

Does not mean he is that good of a player right now by himself.

CP3 can make him that good again!

kjayp likes this.
  16. kjayp

Like so many players... they are expected to be the #1 guy and carry the weight of the organization on their shoulders - to be an MJ or a Kobe... and when they cant rise to that level, they are ultimately (or somewhat) viewed as a failure... and sometimes the players deserve some of the blame bc their ego comes into play...
    but it's still a team game - despite how its marketed...
    Other than with the black hole that is Westbrick... this is the first time Melo hasnt had to carry that weight...

I think melo could be successful many places - but not if you're expecting him to carry a team like MJ or Kobe...

skroodup25 and Lawlruschang like this.
  17. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Armed with a bizarre fascination for Mario Elie

Funny stuff

Good recap also. Rockets will likely pull 60 Wins again. Let's hope for a healthier postseason.

18. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

infection complication in his knee, they'll re-evaluate at the end of preseason

19. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

Great recap, thanks! I was SO encouraged by last night's game. I kept thinking, "We've NEVER been this deep." And that was without PJ Tucker. What an embarrassment of riches in terms of depth. I had a lot of fun after the game making my own depth charts and thinking about how much insurance we have against injury now.

Not just excited about our new guys though. Chris Paul looks like he went swimming in the fountain of youth. His 3's were like daggers. So confident, so sure. Same for Gordon. His 3 ball looked better than it ever has to me. Both guys seem to be in the best shape they've been in in years.

This is going to be a hell of a season. I think we're going all the way.

kjayp, clutchdabear, Plowman and 6 others like this.
  20. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Yup, I remember the days when we had to rely on Bobby Brown, Pablo Prigioni....now we have MCW and Knight