1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Feigen] Rockets like what they see in James Ennis III

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Sep 28, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I.D.I.O.T.

Great quotes in this article. Really liked the stuff from PJ Tucker!

Rockets like what they see in James Ennis III
    Feigen, Houston Chronicle
    https://www.houstonchronicle.com/sp...what-they-see-in-James-Ennis-III-13263740.php

LAKE CHARLES, La. — When James Ennis III was cleared to play after missing the Rockets’ workouts in the Bahamas with a strained calf muscle, Mike D’Antoni was not free to watch.

But he did have intelligence operatives on hand to keep him informed. The Rockets were in their marathon basketball operations meetings last week when players went through five-on-five offseason workouts at Toyota Center. When they were over, Chris Paul took a place on a training room table and began texting the Rockets coach holed up in a conference room.

D’Antoni asked if Ennis looked good.

“No,” Paul answered.
    D’Antoni barely had time to worry when another update followed.

“He looked great,” Paul texted.

It turns out, running the floor and diving for loose balls in an offseason pickup game will turn heads. After three days of training camp at McNeese State, Ennis has continued to draw raves for his play at the retooled small forward position.

“James didn’t get to play with us in the Bahamas so to see his energy here is really good,” Paul said. “I think energy is contagious. You see the way he plays on the offensive end, going for rebounds, shooting the ball, defensively. That’s contagious. That’s why P.J. (Tucker) is the way he is.”

More than a long, lean version of Tucker, the Rockets’ burly dirty-work power forward, Ennis, 6-7, joined the Rockets this summer as an overshadowed free agent with a minimum contract with Tucker’s stamp of approval. Though far more attention elsewhere had been placed on the players that left (Trevor Ariza and Luc Mbah a Moute) and another that arrived (Carmelo Anthony), Tucker lobbied for Ennis.

“I made calls for James this year because I thought he’d fit our team,” Tucker said. “I texted our GM and people in our personnel (department). I thought he’d fit our team and he’s proven that these first few days of camp. He comes in, he works hard, he runs the floor, he offensive rebounds and he does a lot of small things. That’s what we need.

“I know basketball. I know players. I knew he could be a person who can help our team.”

Ennis showed some of that ability to run the floor in Wednesday’s scrimmage when he blew past nearly every teammate on the floor to rise for an alley-oop slam impressive not as much for getting above the rim but for his ability to so swiftly get from one end of the floor to the other to take that fast-break pass from James Harden.

“James does an unbelievable job of being active,” Harden said. “He competes at a high level. He’s all over the place, all over the court. I saw him running. He ran from the baseline to the other end of the court. He beat everybody up the court. He has that energy we’re looking for.”

Ennis, 28, will likely have to shoot from the 3-point arc well enough for D’Antoni to get his defense and energy consistent playing time. He has made 35.9 percent of his 3s in four NBA seasons with the Heat, Pelicans, Grizzlies and Pistons. He has split time with Eric Gordon with the starters, with the Rockets considering going with a three-guard group to start. But he showed enough that when the Rockets gathered for Thursday’s video session, D’Antoni emphasized Ennis’ play.

“We just showed a film on his energy, ability to run,” D’Antoni said. “For us, it’s really important to have the wings and center run. It puts so much pressure on the defense. That’s what he does. He has the ability to go for offensive rebounds, get back on defense, or get a defensive rebound and sprint away. I don’t know how much he can keep that up, the energy level. But it’s a big weapon.

“We have guys that have a lot of energy. That’s a big plus for us. The Corey Brewers of the world are important. And they’re hard to replace. It’s a talent. Having energy is a talent.”

Ennis said D’Antoni need no more worry about him keeping it up than about last week’s texts from the training room. Tough as it was to sit out in the Bahamas, he said he is not trying to impress new teammates now as much as play the way he long has.

“I’m hungry,” Ennis said. “I’m ready for this opportunity. I’m ready to win. I’m excited to be a part of this team, but that has been my whole life. I’ve been an energy player. I’m going to continue to do that. That’s how I am; high energy.”

“I talked to CP. He said they love how I compete. Any time I come on the floor, I compete hard. That’s the biggest thing they got from me.”

2. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Morey has a knack for identifying and signing 3&D players on the cheap.

3. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Should Morey even get credit as a GM anymore ? It seems his players are doing all the work for him .

:)

napalm06 likes this.
  4. YOLO

YOLO Member

yeah who needs PJ on this team. might as well just be a throw in for a trade

5. CXbby

CXbby Member

How are you go to show your face in this thread when the whole article is talking about Ennis running the floor. You know nothing about basketball.

Also, literally no one has said they want Tucker to be a "throw in". You are a lying bum.

Little Bit and htownrocketman like this.
  6. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

DAB ON EM!

7. YOLO

YOLO Member

gtfoh. You're out of your league here with your basic views. did you fail to read something "Ennis, 28, will likely have to shoot from the 3-point arc well enough for D’Antoni to get his defense and energy consistent playing time" something i've said from the very beginning. obviously something like this goes over your head

hilarious you're trying to pat yourself on your back with literally nothing. if they wanted someone to get in transition they could just sign corey brewer. obviously he sucks at 3s. But apparently according to a random poster on cf's the rockets are going to be in transition much more bc they signed james ennis lmao

Care to make a wager on this?

8. Voltik

Voltik Member

That’s nice to know, high energy players are important to the team and having a wing able to cut to the basket and finish above the rim is cool. But more importantly, I want to know if he has the quickness on the defense end to switch on guards without ending up with 6 fouls and be able to consistently hit open 3s above 40%.

Time will tell all.

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Please yes. Rockets will play at a higher pace this year than last year. Even if it is by 0.1. That's literally the only thing I ever said, Rockets had zero runners last year and now they have one. Never said they will be in transition "much more", just more bs you are making up. You are the one claiming they will tell Ennis to stop running even though that is his strength, something you had no idea of because you didn't know who he was, because "the Rockets don't play that way". And now all the Rockets are praising his running lmao.

So any amount or prop you can afford to bet, Rockets play at higher pace this year.

Nook and BigMaloe like this.
  10. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Biggest takeaway.

Melo the 6th man!

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

Done. a simple $50. The rockets played at a 99.73 rating last season in the reg season. Playoffs 97.80 just for reference. Higher or lower. simple outcome

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

We all just going to ignore Ennis went to the Bahamas but didn't participate in the OTA's? He was on the beach with his shirt off and everything.

BigMaloe likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It was hot on the beach, tbh.

BigMaloe likes this.
  14. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Guys the offense isnt about pace.

The "Pace statistic" isnt dictated by how much or how fast you run, but how fast until you shoot.

All last year, even with the lowest "pace", the wings sprinted straight to the corners and pushed the pace. Capela would also sprint down the middle and this puts extreme pressure on the defense.

The defense has to sprint back every possession. They have to be alert or there will be a 3/4 court pass to an open shooter. Remember everyone hating James and his full court pass when he first started this practice and adding it to his game?

It happened all season no matter our pace. While they(the role players playing a ROLE) run and put pressure on the defense, james and chris walk up and survey the defense and conserve energy.

It's like yall dont watch basketball. Or you guys are misunderstanding pushing pace with the "pace statistic".

Deckard, Red Chocolate, Nook and 3 others like this.
  15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure MDA was talking about Capela, too. See his quote.

While Capela can't get ahead of the pack going from basket to basket, if he beats his man to establish a 5 on 4 vertical game early, Harden always looks for that. Capela did this several times to KAT and Gobert, last year.

It won't be listed as Fastbreak points, secondary breaks never are, but Capela in a 5 on 4 is very disruptive.

BigMaloe beat me to it.

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

I fully get how the rockets play. And the point from the beginning was they won't play any different than they did a season ago. pace will be slower or just about the same especially signing melo. yet apparently the rockets are going to play faster signing a james ennis.

BigMaloe likes this.
  17. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I didn't want to devote the keystrokes to explaining why just running impacts the offense. @BigMaloe gets it. Capela and Luc sprinting as fast as they could whenever they could, opened up the offense for Harden and CP3. Something so simple and ignored is invaluable in this offense.

18. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

But in essence your both right.

We will play at the same methodical pace.

But adding Ennis probably will increase our "pace".

That's because it's a skill that ennis has and not one that aria or luc had. They did the same thing, they were just not as athletic or quick.

So now you have someone who is better suited for that role. And ultimately he will do a better job of beating his man and thus getting an early and open shot.

That will result in a higher pace. But the offense wont change at all.

But do expect some super super quick lineups of cp3, harden, ego, Ennis, capela.

19. YOLO

YOLO Member

And I noted that the Rockets signed him to hit 3’s and play defense not to just solely get out in transition. He would have to be a nightly contributer in the former to get consistent minutes which should be obvious bc if not we would just have another Corey brewer on our hands

saleem and BigMaloe like this.
  20. CXbby

CXbby Member

Literally the only thing I said in the other thread was running/finishing in transition was a strength of Ennis. Obvious to anyone who has watched him play. This dude comes in telling me that's not how the Rockets play.

The Rockets are not going to change the way they play for Ennis. No one ever said that. I also never said they will play much faster. But the Rockets will not tell Ennis to stop running and finishing in transition, something any team would seek, no matter "how they play".