1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

When I read that we would possibly/probably have to offer PJ along with Gordon, I balked a bit; but Morey has always known that you win with All Stars. Jimmy Tomball Butler brings scoring, defense, and passing. He'd likely stick around, too.

Isn't Brandon Knight an expiring? Maybe if he were thrown in to bring back a contract the Wolves want to dump....? (Being a separate trade, or not happening until at least December, etcetera.)

2. Nook

Nook Member

There is a lot that has to happen for the Rockets to have a chance at Butler, so much that I have written it off as not realistic.

Butler has to demand a deal. If he doesn’t, most likely Thibs keeps him and let’s him leave as a free agent or hopes he can resign him.

KAT has to refuse to sign his extension and scare the owner enough to be on board to deal Butler to keep KAT.

If Butler is going to be dealt, Thibs and Layden have to remain calling the shots. If Thibs is calling the shots, he will likely want veteran players that will influence KAT and others.

If Thibs holds true, the Rockets have to have a package Thibs wants more than likely 10 other bidders.

Also the Rockets need Butler to at least be open to going to Houston. Then the Rockets owner has to be one to paying a large salary to Butler AND large tax consequences.

If all of that is true; then the Rockets have to be willing to semi-gut their team for Butler.

Having said that... I am sure the Rockets GM would be glad to move Gordon and Tucker for Butler. The Rockets could still move pieces later like Chriss to get another 3/4 player.

Paul/Butler/Harden/Ennis/Capela would be very hard to stop

IvanLCPM, D-rock, BigMaloe and 5 others like this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Brandon knight has this year and next year at $15 mil so no.

4. dkoune

dkoune Rookie

Am i the only one thats thinks Jimmy Mcbuckets is overrated? I mean i like him but not enough to give up Tucker. Which says alot about a “superstar”. If you arent willing to give up A guy like Tucker.... is he really a super star?

5. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I think it says more about Tucker and his role on this team than anything negative about Butler. Jimmy is a very good player but he's not the player you can send out to defend/play the 3,4, or even the 5 in crunch time.

clutchdabear, hakeem94 and dkoune like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

butler is an allstar not a superstar. I don't think anyone here views him as a superstar type player. he's not in that category

dkoune likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"I am pretty sure the Pacers could get a more exciting package from X for Paul George"
    "I am pretty sure the Spurs could get a more exciting package from X for Kawhi Leonard"

Context.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

i agree it's a solid offer. I mean, is butler a PJ Tucker and a 1st better than EG? If pressed i think i'd pull the trigger, if only because i see Butler as uniquely suited to give GS' back-court problems. but no one is gifting anyone in a trade like that.

As far as our lack of youth to offer ....i don't see that being a big deal. GM/coaches like Tibs prefer vets over young talent. And Tibs has to actually start winning; they need to take that next step in the playoffs. Our vets may have an allure for him; i.e. the way Ariza was attractive to a young Suns team looking to turn that corner from rebuilding to winning.

I hate breaking up this Rockets team. There's a lot of risk that comes with moving EG and Tucker. I am also not sure about Butler's long-term health. But we really do have to take some risk if we want to beat GS. Paying a high price to acquire Jimmy Butler seems like a risk worth taking.

D-rock, DonKnock and Y2JT like this.
  10. Killatron 2000

Killatron 2000 Punk Rocket

Dude, your name is Rockets4lf.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Rockets 4 Lakers Fan

13. MystikArkitect

I’ve never really beefed with Morey’s “if you ain’t a star you ain’t long for here” mantra.

Gordon might be a sore spot for me though. There were so many times where he willed us to victories, playoffs and otherwise. If we got Jimmy Tomball and got rid of EGo I wouldn’t necessarily be happy about it. Not even sure we would improve that much.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Of course you do it. Also, obviously Morey wouldn't pull the trigger on Ego/Tucker/1st without a commitment from Butler. How long have we known Morey? lol

What you're looking at is EG and Tucker for Butler and yet another vet min signing. Let's say that person is someone meaningless like Trevor Booker.

Are you really going to turn this down:

Capela/Nene/Qi
    Booker/Melo (don't flip out Melo fans, it's only to give Melo more touches)/Chriss
    Butler/Ennis/MCW
    Harden/Green
    Paul/Knight

TBH though, I'm certain Morey can turn an extended Gordon into an expiring and a first (in a 3-way trade). So we might be able to just shed Gordon, Nene, Chriss and our first while Minny receives 3 expiring contracts and 2 first round picks in the 20-30 range.

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. Blackjack84

Blackjack84 Member

there is no way I'll trade them for butler you are not getting better I feel Gordon does pretty much everything butler does plus he shoots way better so the purpose of this trade would be for what

dkoune likes this.
  16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Don't give up Tuck.

mikol13 likes this.
  17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I love Tucker. I love EGo too, really. But, yeah I'd do that.

18. YOLO

YOLO Member

he actually doesn't shoot way better than butler. he just shoot way more 3's. That doesn't automatically mean better.

Butler is more versatile and a better overall player.

htownrox1 likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

For reference on Jimmy Butler. SI had him as a top 10 player. CBS had him as a top 13 player. ESPN Rank hasn't finished with their top ten yet.

If the Rockets got Butler they would have 3 top 10-ish type players. So yeah, Morey would jump at that.

20. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

My body is ready

DonKnock likes this.