1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sources: Rockets have eyes on Jimmy B

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by cyberx, Sep 18, 2018.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Another Tucker is DG and he isn't coming here.

We can find another EG. An upgraded version is Jimmy Butler

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

consider GSW might be unbeatable this year, trade or not. If so, we'll probably later regret not throwing PJ into a trade to get a 4yr younger Butler.

If GSW can get Cousins into the rotation for legit playoff contribution for his one yr there, they may be unbeatable, PJ/EGo or not. That's a legit concern.

I agree about this year we'd lose a lot of minutes in that trade, but we should also admit that's short-sighted (this year) thinking on our part. If Butler resigns long term, PJ is 4 yrs older, and Morey can find others, just maybe not this year.

But we'd have Harden, Paul, Butler and Capela moving forward...that's a lean, mean machine

BHannes2BHonest, D-rock, Hui and 19 others like this.
  3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Toronto could outbid us.

J Sizzle likes this.
  4. riko

riko Member

No chance Morey will give up both EG and Tucker. As good as Jimmy is he is not worth that.

Killatron 2000 likes this.
  5. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I would think other teams could put together more appealing packages, though I suppose the hope would be that he affirmatively wants to be here and won't give anyone else a guarantee. PJ is the only thing that let me move on from Bev and I would be sick if he got moved.

Richie_Rich and don grahamleone like this.
  6. spankz141

spankz141 Member

Will Butler sign an extension with the Rockets?

Aren't there rumors of him and Kyrie wanting to play together in New York?

Little Bit likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The only package that would surely appeal to Minnesota would be somebody willing to take Wiggins off their hands. Everything else...who knows? They aren't firing Thibs yet so I assume having older players is still fine with them.

DonKnock and JuNx like this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Tucker and EG is a solid package for Minny, they just aren’t youthful. It’ll keep them competitive however. I wouldn’t like giving up either of them but you absolutely do this trade if it’s available.

RocketFan, D-rock, BigMaloe and 6 others like this.
  9. topfive

topfive CF OG

Step 1: Photoshop pictures of young Nene in a Bulls uni to try to confuse Thibs.

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I'm thinking along the lines of a package of picks as the primary jewel(s) and contracts to match as a lower priority. When both are healthy, Butler is not anywhere near the player Kawhi is which is why the Spurs asked for the moon this summer.

A package of Covington, Bayless and the 2019 Sacramento 1st or 2021 Miami 1st plus a 2nd Rounder looks pretty good. Hell Covington is the perfect player that can give Thibs a chubby.

11. YOLO

YOLO Member

There are but if you give a player like Butler a full year on a team to show them what its like to be part of well run organization, it can have a ton of influence. We just witnessed what a full year in okc did for pg13, even though LA was originally what was thought to be a for sure thing

DonKnock and pugsly8422 like this.
  12. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Chris Paul didn't help with those feelings for Bev, as well? :)

I'll miss PJ, too. But I'm pulling this trigger, because if there is one player that has the Bev/PJ "it" factor for me, who is also a star, that would be Butler.

13. YOLO

YOLO Member

agree here. Butler, as good as he is when healthy, doesn't replace everything going out while being an upgrade.

J Sizzle likes this.
  14. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not gonna happen unless Butler commits to signing a max extension with Phili. We all know Morey won't care if Jimmy walks after next season. He loves gambling on rentals.

What makes you think Jimmy would want to play there instead of here?

D-rock likes this.
  15. steddinotayto

Dude if we traded Gordon for Butler, Morey should trade Chriss and a future 2nd to LA for Bev. Beverley, CP3, Ennis, Butler, Tucker, Capela? We got defender for days.

16. topfive

topfive CF OG

When Carmelo Anthony is your #4 or #5 option on offense, your chances of success are not shabby.

D-rock, BigMaloe, luckyman76 and 5 others like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

Will send them former Bull* Michael Carter-Williams. That's about it.

*Carter-Williams did not play for Thibodeau's Bulls

D-rock, BigMaloe, Vivi and 3 others like this.
  18. steddinotayto

In the end, does it really matter what Jimmy wants though? It might be recency bias but teams over the past few years have traded for players that were not on said player's "list of destinations" and it's worked out well so far. I'm just scoping out other possible teams that need an All-Star two-way guard whose presence can significantly tilt success in their favor.

19. Rockets4lf

Rockets4lf Member

I quiet watching the Rockets if they trade PJ, Lakers here i come!

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Butler has leverage here. Trade me to X team, or I'll be an unrestricted Free Agent next summer.

This is very similar to Carmelo last year. In the end, Carmelo did have to expand his list a bit, but he didn't have to give up much. Still got to a team that was by all means a contender on paper.

Butler is likely a more sought after free agent than Melo last Summer by far. He has some power. Its just whether or not Minnesota values one year with Butler over what they can get from a team like Houston assuming Houston wants him (they OBVIOUSLY do... he's a perfect fit here).

This is why the CP3 extension this past Summer was important as well..... shows the league that the Rockets/Tillman stick to their word when they trade for star players who are up for a new contract. That will be important as hell for Butler when looking at the Rockets who will have the option to suggest opt in and extend next Summer.

luckyman76, DonKnock and today like this.