1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Correa and his struggles... last 109 AB's : 174 AVG. 1 HR

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by CinematicFusion, Sep 16, 2018.

1. CinematicFusion

Have to hope he snaps out of it, the oblique and back injury has really done a number on him. Might not be able to get his timing back this year.

I would keep batting him in the 6th hole until the end of the year. Hope he gets his rhythm back.
    We need him for the playoffs.

However, if he is still hitting well below the Mendoza line start playoff time, where do you put him? 8th or 9th?
    Sitting him during some playoff games.

Man, injuries suck...

2. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

I’m tempted to say have him come off the bench. If it was anyone else he wouldn’t be playing with the talent we have on the bench or in the farm (see: Gattis, Evan). He’s obviously injured and it has sapped all his hitting ability — if he doesn’t “get right “ in the next two weeks why put someone with those numbers in the lineup? We need the bats to show for the playoffs and can’t afford to baby an injured star . We are talking a second WS ! All options should be on the table . He’ll be an amazing player in the future but he is a liability right now .

Bregs can move to short , yuli to third and a combo of White /Marwin can play first . Opens up options for the LF spot (Kemp, Tucker? , Marisnick etc ).

Don’t get me wrong , I hope he figures it out in the next few weeks but this is painful to watch

3. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

4. jim1961

jim1961 Member

"It's been hard to fix it as of now, some of the habits I acquired when I was playing hurt and trying to compensate so my oblique wouldn't hurt. I was going around the baseball instead of staying inside because that was hurting me"

An excellent example on why not to play hurt.

snowconeman22 and desihooper like this.
  5. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Injuries do suck! The timing for him is just unfortunate. We're looking at a likely first round match up versus the Indians and a chance for the Correa-Lindor comparison to take center stage in front of a national audience. Would have been great to see how that would play out in the ALDS.

Here's to hoping someone (Baggy, Beltran, A-Rod, etc) can pull Correa aside and maybe give him a pointer or a drill to help him find his stroke. Yesterday, he was saying he couldn't stay inside the ball. There's got to be a way to work on that with drills to build back the good muscle memory. To me, he's also not able to recognize the pitch early as he's taking strikes and swinging at balls. I'm sure he's plenty frustrated.

6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He is definitely frustrated. He is an amazing player. He is mentally strong. Team leader. Correa will come out of this and learn from it. It’s going to make him even better. Hopefully, that happens in sept/oct.

Correa still has the highest ceiling on this team. I could see him getting red hot soon and just tearing it up in the playoffs.

tmactoyao, seemoreroyals and bobrek like this.
  7. rdsgonzo13

rdsgonzo13 Contributing Member

He takes almost everything. It’s like he’s afraid to swing since he thinks swinging hard will get him hurt again.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  8. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Carlos Correa looks so stiff with his swing. Not reaching down and away pitches for hitting singles or doubles has me concerned. The strikeouts are happening because of the low and away slider, changeup.
    Air Cupping Therapy is sorely needed on his back, Hot Sauna, Massages. The Astros trainers can do all of this hopefully and get Correa healthy.

9. CinematicFusion

It doesn't look like he is seeing the ball now, looks lost at the plate. Springer was lost last year after his injury, took him a month to get better....and then he exploded in the WS.
    Correa has two more weeks to get the timing back. Bat him in the 6-7th hole remainder of season and cross fingers he is better come playoff time.

10. Mashing

Mashing Member

Nothing wrong with his defense though. Right now it's an Adam Everett situation where you keep playing him because he's been so good on defense. I don't want to take Bregman and put Yuli at 3rd if he's not out there at SS. Our defense is very much worse in that situation.

everyday eddie and arkoe like this.
  11. HTown2017Champs

I see a common theme this series: 1-5 or something. Step in the right direction, stay positive.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Adam Everett's offense was much better than Correa's in Aug/Sept. Like 60-70 points better (BA).

13. HTown2017Champs

And he hit over 300 in the 2005 NLCS, including an RBI triple in one of our victories. That, combined with his defensive heroics, should have earned him co-MVP honors (with Oswalt) in my opinion. Defense is pretty underrated in MVP (series and yearly) voting, inexplicably.

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

The fact of the matter is that Correa is currently the worst hitter in our lineup. I hope he snaps out of it, but I don't have a lot of confidence he will since his issues appear to be physical. Also, comparing Correa's defense to Everett's is an insult. Correa's defense is average or below average.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  15. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, Correa has the potential to become an elite defender, but he's not there yet. At least he's not letting his slumps at the plate affect his defense, as was the case with Springer when he went into a similar (but significantly smaller) slump going into the All Star Break. Sometimes, hitters will let things like that really get to them and let it ruin their defense, but we haven't seen that with any of our guys this year.

Hustle Town likes this.
  16. SemisolidSnake

Right now, Correa doesn't have a clue what he wants or needs to do when he get up to the plate. He looks so unsure. It starts with his stance. It's loose, but not in a way that can let him easily wind up. It's also still closed off, even though he's been getting destroyed on the inside the whole year. This BS about him seeing himself as strongest to center-right field needs to stop. If you've got power to both sides of the field, that's great, but even the best batters still naturally pull the ball better. He's not pursuing his natural strength with his stance and swing.

There were a few games before he got injured where he DID look great. He just crushed a couple homers into left field. Looked confident before he did it, too. Like "if I get a ball I can hit, I'm gonna pound it." And he did. But he doesn't look like that now. Most of our commentators have said they wished he'd just get up there and swing freely. Right now, he's tepid and fishing for walks.

I'd like to see him just go up to the plate and start cutting loose. Try to pound the ball again. Why not? He's not going to get any worse than what he's doing right now. He might get some confidence back, though, with a few hard hits.

17. Buck Turgidson

He's better than that, but regardless he's by far the best SS the Astros have.

If he's healthy, he's your SS from here on out. No sense in arguing about it.

Nook and everyday eddie like this.
  18. CinematicFusion

Did Tucker pinch hit for Correa last night? I'm really starting to worry about Correa's swing. He isn't even close to breaking out of the slump.
    I know he will be fine next year.....but I think we need to start coming to the reality that Carlos Correa will be hitting .189 in the playoffs this year with no pop.
    This from a player with a career .289 batting average in the playoffs. 7 Hr, 6 doubles. Going to be hard without his bat.

everyday eddie likes this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

It was 6-0 and they wanted to get Tucker an ab. Don't look into it as anything more than that.

20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

It's a bat and you hit a ball with it. How hard can it be? ;)

Carlos is having nightmares where he stands at the plate and watches strike three over and over and over.