1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Celtics player arrested for assaulting kidnapping and strangulating GF.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by malakas, Sep 13, 2018.

1. malakas

malakas Member

Nope.
    An NBA team has the right to waive any player any time and the NBA with its new domestic abuse policy has the right to void the contract of any player.
    You don't really expect for the Celtics to wait years and years before they get rid of him right?
    The Celtics should waive him immediately.

2. jasonmurray29

jasonmurray29 Member

I say wait until we hear from him. Obviously it looks bad and maybe mental health issues, but everyone should withhold judgment just yet.

3. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

I doubt he'll give a statement because of the pending case. If there's one thing defense lawyers could do as a PSA, it's drive around the hood with a megaphone yelling "never answer questions from police once they put handcuffs on you". I agree with @malakas , Celtics should drop this guy. Bad publicity and the victim has multiple witnesses to corroborate her story. It was a detailed narrative from a college student. If the same evidence were presented at trial (victim's testimony + picture of injuries) the likelihood of conviction is extremely high.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I don't know why, but I assumed this thread was going to be about Robert Williams.

5. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

For a multitude of reasons, due process needs to remain a thing. Slippery, slippery slope.

BigggReddd likes this.
  6. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I agree that once the evidence has been submitted and processed, and it's clear that he did what he's being accused of, he needs to be blackballed from the league. However, it is imperative that we allow that process to play out before finding him guilty in the court of public opinion.

7. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Also see: Rae Carruth.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rae_Carruth

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

All birds are not alike.

Angry bird and jail bird.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I can only imagine what Bird's side of the story is.

11. House Rockets

House Rockets Member

Before reading the story and getting the details, I just assumed it was Marcus Smart.

12. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

emotions running wild in this thread.

13. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

Is it innocent until proven guilty or guilty until proven innocent? You'd never know when talking to most Americans.

I don't care how pissed off and upset you are about this story, the fact you're ready to strip this man of a job he's worked his entire life for without a shred of evidence is shocking and scary. Due process is as legitimate and necessary in this case as you'd want it to be if you were accused.

pantherheat32 and bratna8 like this.
  14. malakas

malakas Member

LMAO
    Every month around the league tens of people are stripped of their job that they worked their entire life but I don't see you with placats demonstrating?
    His gf after spending time in his apartment turned up in the hospital with choke marks, internal hemorrhage, bruises all over and needed a cat scan.
    No evidence at all. She just chocked herself to frame him right?

And btw according to the cba there's not only enough reason to waive him but also to void his contract and leave him with nothing since he tried to blackmail her with suicide before he almost murdered her.
    I hope I don't have to see his face anywhere near another nba team.

The NBA is under no obligation to wait for justice to make a verdict before they get rid of a player. They have their own rules which Bird has already broken.

15. BackdoorHarden

This isn't China.

THIS IS THE USA

Columnist Dieter Kurtenbach of the Bay Area News Group, too, wrote the 49ers must cut ties with the star linebacker. He wrote the 49ers should have let Foster go when the incident with his girlfriend first came to light.

“It’s time for the 49ers to correct the mistake,” he wrote. “It’s time for them to get out from under their bad bet. It’s time for them to cut Foster.”

What isn’t in doubt is Foster’s situation has created some strong opinions about what the 49ers should do about Foster. Many believe the team shouldn't wait for the legal process to play out. Though Foster has not been proven guilty of any of the charges, some in the media want the team to make a decision on Foster now.

San Francisco Chronicle columnist Ann Killion, for one, has written that the team should cut ties with him. She says the 49ers “have turtled,” withdrawing from the situation without taking immediate action.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...n-fosters-domestic-violence-charges-dismissed

https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Should-49ers-Release-Reuben-Foster-479647913.html

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/a...domestic-violence-charges-a-test-12607564.php

https://abcnews.go.com/US/wireStory/discovery-dog-saves-oregon-man-sex-crime-conviction-57736715

Around the NFL

Reuben Foster's domestic violence charges dismissed

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Print
    • [​IMG]
    • By Austin Knoblauch
    • Digital Content Editor
    • Published: May 23, 2018 at 06:55 p.m.
    • Updated: May 23, 2018 at 08:53 p.m.

A judge dismissed two felony domestic violence charges against Reuben Foster on Wednesday, six days after his former girlfriend recanted accusations made against the San Francisco 49ers linebacker.

California Superior Court Judge Nona Klippen determined there wasn't enough evidence for the domestic violence portion of the criminal case to move forward to a jury trial after listening to Elissa Ennis' testimony during Foster's preliminary hearing in San Jose on May 17.

16. BackdoorHarden

He sure sounds guilty.

He should either be in prison or in a mental hospital and not around human being, but let's not start executing people before they have their say

17. Nook

Nook Member

The type of behavior Bird exhibited isn’t acceptable and there is no excuse for it in a country that is as wealthy and as established as the USA. The resources are there to punish men that choose to act that way.

The Celtics won’t release him most likely. The NBA will investigate it and once the allegations have some sort of support (they will) he will be punished under the league guidelines and never play in the NBA again.

It is easy to keep a Jabari Bird from playing again. My question is what happens when a top 10 player does something like this? Is he never allowed to return? How many years is the punishment?

18. Nook

Nook Member

I always wondered how much Foster had to pay her to change her story.

NotInMyHouse likes this.
  19. DeAleck

DeAleck Contributing Member

Ummm... what?

lionaire likes this.
  20. cheke64

cheke64 Member

This statement is basically saying I did it, my bad y'all, let's run it back celtics