1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver Trade Deadline (Potential help to solve the triage problem?)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Acuna’s going to hit 2000 career HR’s and if Tucker hasn’t broke out with 40+ AB’s all hope is lost

2. HTown2017Champs

Justin Smoak is who I really want. Solid contact and pop from both sides. Toronto has a very solid farm. They have Vlad Jr. in the waiting, baseball's top prospect, ready to take over 3rd. Bichette and Gurriel Jr. will man the middle infield. About a year and a half away from contention, Smoak probably won't be part of it, so I think they'd be wise to move him. Pillar (who has been with the Jays longer and is controlled longer) can instead fill the role of "veteran leader" for the Blue Jays. Fisher (can replace impending FA Granderson), White (slides into 1B), and Rodgers, is that enough? I'm probably dreaming but what are the chances that he's moved/clears waivers?

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Very unlikely to clear waivers and he is a free agent after this season.

4. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, I do think the Blue Jays should have moved him at the deadline. Correction: He has a player option for 2019, FA in 2020.

5. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

That’s not a “correction”, seeing as how he has the option to be a free agent after this season, and given his option is only $6M he is very likely to choose free agency. For the purposes of any team trading for him, he is a pending free agent.

6. HTown2017Champs

Oh, sorry, now I understand.
    While we're talking about the Blue Jays, since Smoak is almost certainly not an option, how about his teammate Curtis Granderson? He cleared waivers, and would give us another option in the OF, and provide a lot of veteran leadership. He's still putting up good numbers, and probably wants another chance at a ring. Given his age and that he's a rental, he can't cost too much.

7. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I have been on the side of trading for Grandy all year. Hell, I wanted them to sign him this past offseason. I think he’d make a great low cost add and be an upgrade over Tucker/Fisher/Kemp in LF.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  8. HTown2017Champs

Same. I wanted us to sign him, and I strongly preferred him to Carlos Gonzalez (the apparent fan favorite to sign), in part due to the Coors Effect, and also I feel he'd provide better veteran leadership. Always liked Grandy, and would like to see him win a ring.

9. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Tony Kemp: .282/.370/.414/.784; 121 OPS+
    Curtis Granderson, who is 37: .231/.332/.409/.742; 103 OPS+

The source of the Astros' offensive problems is rooted in Altuve, Correa and Springer's health. If we can't afford to be patient, fine - but a poor/old man's Tony Kemp ain't the answer.

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Granderson is a better defender than Kemp. The projection systems also have him as a (slightly) more productive offensive player than Kemp looking forward this season. It’s slight, but I do think Granderson would be an upgrade over Kemp. I agree with you that their problem is injured stars more than LF, but if Houston were able to trade for Granderson without giving up anything of real value, Id rather him be on the playoff roster than Kemp.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  11. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Granderson would only be good for Tucker. He can mentor him about slumps. But again why bench kemp? And Jake would never be back

raining threes likes this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I don’t think Astros will add another bat. Lineup looks a lot more complete with Correa and that gets even better when Altuve & Springer return.

Gattis, White, Gurriel, Marwin, Kemp are consistently productive bats

I think this is the best 25 for the postseason

C McCann, Maldonado, Gattis (DH)

IF Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Bregman, White

OF Springer, Reddick, Marwin, Kemp

If they carry 13: Marisnick or a red-hot Kyle Tucker

It’s tough leaving off Stassi (who’s been the primary starter for most of the year)

Rotation JV, Keuchel, Cole, Morton

Pen: Osuna, Rondon, McHugh, Smith, Pressly, Sipp, Peacock, Devenski

If they carry 13: McCullers or C Perez

Uncertain how McCullers does out of the pen while I believe Devenski rights the ship as Peacock has done. There’s going to be a very good arm left off the roster especially only carrying 12

13. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Adam Jones time.

This would be a perfect time to get in his ear and the Orioles.

LF Jones. CF Springer. RF Reddick
    4th Kemp 5th Jake or Kyle

Leaving Marwin in the Infield. With White.

ApolloRLB likes this.
  14. Hey Now!

Assuming full health for the postseason, we're discussing the 5th outfielder (Marwin will be the everyday LF; Marisnick #4). In the interim, we're discussing a fringe 3rd OF and I just don't see Granderson having a big enough impact to take at-bats away from Kemp.

Also, I wish - like, dearly - that the Astros would just stick Kyle Tucker in LF every. single. night and let's see what he can do. If we're *not* healthy come playoffs, we're going to need a dynamic bat to offset and there's no one available - internally or externally - who has the potential to fill that role as readily as Kyle Tucker. They need to see what they have.

Shark44 and MrBear1 like this.
  15. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Agree 100%. I dont give a **** if its a lefty, I dont care if Sandy ****ing Koufax is pitching. Start the kid every damn day.

Hey Now!, Shark44 and HTown2017Champs like this.
  16. Hey Now!

Here's the problem with this scenario... Adam Jones is not a very good baseball player. He's OK. You know who else is "OK"? Tony Kemp.

Adam Jones doesn't make this team even one win better. He's a trade for the sake of a trade.

MrBear1 likes this.
  17. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Don't need Adam Jones dude lol

18. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Daniel Murphy was claimed today by an unknown team

Rosenthal reports
    Trade could be near

19. HTown2017Champs

Rumors say that it's the Cubs who claimed him, but so far just rumors.
    EDIT: Following up on my previous support of going after Smoak, I just found this.
    https://bluejaysnation.com/2018/08/...aivers/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    Would be nice to keep him away from the Yankees, he'd be a more consistent DH/1B option, and is a solid switch hitter.

20. Progs

Progs Member

Andrew Mccutchen would be nice!