1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver Trade Deadline (Potential help to solve the triage problem?)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Aug 6, 2018.

1. Buck Turgidson

I hope Marwin keeps hitting and makes the whole question moot, he's the bat we need in LF.

2. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

He’s the best catcher on the team

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They carried 3 last postseason.

4. Buck Turgidson

You're counting Gattis?

5. Buck Turgidson

No he is not. Possibly the 3rd best.

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Yes, since last season he actually was a catcher.

7. Buck Turgidson

Well, he's actually not one this year.

NIKEstrad likes this.
  8. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

And? They’re still going to carry 3 actual catchers (4 counting Gattis).

9. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Well...3-1/2 counting Gattis.

Joshfast likes this.
  10. Buck Turgidson

No they won't. The only reason you think they did or will is because you considered Gattis a catcher and not a DH last postseason.

No team carried 3 catchers in the last postseason.

11. HTown2017Champs

I count Gattis as DH only, though he did start that one (disastrous) Game 3 in the ALCS where the Astros were destroyed (do you think Gattis had any effect on Morton's meltdown? He was solid every time he pitched to McCann).
    McCann/Maldonado is enough, Stassi has been ice cold with the bat outside his red hot May, and it sounds like our pitchers really don't like pitching to him for some reason. Once McCann is back there's really no need for Stassi to waste a postseason roster spot at all.

raining threes likes this.
  12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Disagree. By far the best bat. Rated the #1 pitch framer in all of baseball.

All have intangibles. I’d pick McCann as a backup and Maldonado would be someone I’d consider if carrying 13 position players, 12 pitchers

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Gattis caught a ton of games last season. He was the primary backup.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. HTown2017Champs

Stassi's bat was red hot in May, but in June/July, he had a 0.189 average. I think May was just a massive outlier, although with a 0.250 average and 0.900 OPS in August (so far), we might have evidence that his bat is starting to heat up again, although the sample size is VERY small.

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Wrong. Astros, Rockies, and Diamondbacks all rostered 3 catchers in the postseason last year. And I didn’t even look up all of the other teams.

16. DOYG86

DOYG86 Member

BUCK GOT OWNED.

17. DVauthrin

DVauthrin Contributing Member

McCann and Maldonado are both better than Stassi in the most important area of catching: game calling. You aren’t starting someone in the playoffs that gets dressed down by multiple members of the Astros rotation for not being on the same page as them when it comes to pitch sequencing. Provided McCann is healthy, Stassi will be the emergency catcher in the playoffs.

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. awc713

awc713 Member

It'll be interesting to see how Luhnow and Hinch play out the rest of the season. Who makes the playoff roster? Do Kemp and Jake round out our offense, or do we still add a veteran bat? With the injury bug, it's probably safe to assume that we're not catching BOS for home field advantage. The question is, do we add reinforcements or just spread out ABs amongst our AAAA core until October. I think the latter is more likely, but the idea of adding a Beltre or McCutchen-esque bat sound re-assuring. The question then becomes: who would they replace on the playoff roster?

Adding Beltre seems to throw everything off, but maybe we have the roster flexibility to actually pull it off. He'd be a great addition to our clubhouse (and lineup).

I'm guessing the final playoff roster, if nothing else happened, is:

C: McCann, Maldonado, Stassi
    IF: Yuli, Altuve, Correa, Bregman
    OF: Springer, Reddick, Jake
    Util: Kemp, Marwin
    DH: Gattis

SP: JV, Cole, Kuechel, Morton
    RP: Osuna, Rondon, LMJ, Peacock, McHugh, Devo, Smith, Sipp.

I think we're done adding arms. I don't see Pressly making it. Devo needs to get his act together, too. Maybe Harris? Whitley would be a true wildcard, but I don't see him making it just yet.

My guess is that Jake's spot is the first one on the chomping block. He's been playing better lately, but I get nauseas at the idea of him hitting in the post-season. Maybe we get greedy and add a bat like Beltre. Sprinkle around ABs and playing time to keep everyone fresh. Bregman would get pretty ticked if he were moved to LF, though.

#58 awc713, Aug 11, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 11, 2018
  19. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Marwin, White, Kemp and Marisnick are hitting well so I think it lessens the need to add a bat.
    My guess is that Pressly will be on the roster, likely over Devenski (if he doesn’t pitch well after he comes back) or Smith.

CF Springer
    3B Bregman
    2B Altuve
    SS Correa
    1B Gurriel
    DH Gattis
    RF Reddick
    LF Marwin
    C McCann
    Bench: Maldonado, Marisnick, Kemp, Stassi

SP: JV, Cole, Kuechel, Morton
    RP: Osuna, Rondon, LMJ, Peacock, McHugh, Devo, Pressly, Sipp.

I’d like White to be on the roster over Kemp or Stassi but I don’t think the front office would agree.

awc713 likes this.
  20. HTown2017Champs

When not Justin use a Gattis and the emergency 3rd catcher? I doubt we even need to go down that road. Stassi is a pure waste of a roster spot, use White instead as a RH PH option. I know he’s good at framing, but the fact that Maldonado always catches everyone except Morton since the trade (in spite of Hinch insisting Stassi was still he started) is really telling.