1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Running Backs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Aug 2, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It's definitely not a strength. If only Adrian Peterson didn't have a rep as a big man who thinks it's ok to beat a 4 year old with a switch, then I would want us pursuing him. I don't want us following suit with the Astros, and picking up some abuser, just because he could help us.

2. Nimo

Nimo Member

Blue's incompetence as a power back is so frustrating; especially as bad as the interior offensive line played. I was hoping for Bo Scarborough to get picked up by the Texans towards the end of the draft for this reason. The Texans have too many outside the tackle backs and need more one cut, impossible-to-tackle, blount-force-like, power backs. Blue doesn't cut it for me. We need someone that can break some tackles even when the line doesn't hold.

3. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Foreman fits the role when healthy.

Nimo likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

His health has been in question all off-season and we all knew there was a good chance he wouldn't be ready when the season begun. All the more reason why I think they should have gotten better option than Alfred Blue.

5. SuraGotMadHops

Chris Ogbannaya level excitement right here

6. Nimo

Nimo Member

7. Champs

Champs Member

Just going to have to accept RB and OL will be our big focus next offseason. We have the picks and hopefully the money.

8. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Man, I really don't see why ppl are so down on Lamar. So do you want a power back because BOB only runs up the middle? Or do you actually think Lamar sucks? I am down to place a tip jar bet, barring injury to Watson or Miller, that Lamar has one of his best seasons this year. Avg over 4 yards a carry. Double digit TDs.

9. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Draft Ideas for next year, Darrel Murray:

OL
    RB
    OLB
    Safeties
    More OL

Are y'aLl hiRiNg?

10. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

CB should be high on that list also

red5rocket and deb4rockets like this.
  11. Nimo

Nimo Member

Look around the league and a lot of the really good teams have 2 or 3 really good backs. New England usually has like four. This isn't about Lamar not being good, it's about getting more backs to complement Lamar until D'onta comes back. And maybe even with D'onta.

12. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I don't think he sucks, but he hasn't been that great. Maybe with the weight loss he will actually have more pep in his step and yes, have one of his best seasons this year. That would be great. But, as others have said, we need more quality depth. Like Nimo said, a lot of the really good teams have 2 of 3 good running backs. I'm not saying these rookies or unproven guys can't become that, but it does worry me not having signed some proven veterans.

houstonstime likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He hasn't been used properly. How many Texans fans realized that Lamar Miller was arguably the best receiving RB in the NFL last year? Probably not many since he spent so much time running into the back of the O line trying to go up the middle and was only targeted 45 times in the passing game all season long. Of course that is why it was so important to have Foreman healthy, he's the power back that BOB believes all RB's are.

deb4rockets likes this.
  14. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Good point! Why can't BOB realize that? It's so frustrating watching him run into the back of the O line so much instead of focusing on his best assets.

UTSA2step likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Historically BOB has been unwilling to alter what he wants to do in order to fit what his players are best at. That changed slightly with Watson saving his job by playing like the best QB in the NFL, but so far that's been the only exception. Every other player is expected to change what they do to fit the system.....and that's why the offense did nothing but get worse year after year with the exception of what Watson did.

16. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I feel like there are more teams with just one good back than there are with multiple. Pats are a terrible example, they have 4 backs and they are all mediocre really, just catch dump passes. Steelers with Bell, Eagles with Ajayi, Packers with no one, Shady McCoy, Zeke Elliot, Todd Gurley, Melvin Gordon, Jaguars dude I randomly just blanked on, Titans Henry, etc...

Do I think we can use Miller better? Yes. Do I think it will happen with Watson? Yes. Do I think we need more than Miller and Foreman? I guess IF foreman doesnt come back to form, but I think a full season of Watson is going to show us where our true holes lie.

17. Ericstocracy

Ericstocracy Member

It pretty much breaks down to them needing a powerback to wear down the d-line in order to slow up the pass rush. Since it helps out a mediocre o-line to be run heavy.

ATM they lack that with Foreman recovering. If he's ready for week 1 or around there, then they're good. Otherwise, they have Miller and probably Pope. Unless Blue gets an easily noticeable gaping wide hole in the line, he's useless. For a "powerback" he lacks power, vision, and is to slow for any other use. Miller is a damn good back that's been heavily misused because OB never had the knockout punch to go along with him. He'll put up some big numbers if he's healthy with Watson. They have a ton of options with Miller and Foreman, not the case if either are injured. Pope has a nice skill set, looked better as a receiver than an actual back yesterday, but its the preseason.

If they can get Foreman back and have that change up along with Miller's abilities they'll be set for the season. If they want to carry 4 RBs then I would probably say they should (probably won't) stick with Miller, Foreman, Pope, and FA. I simply don't feel like Blue belongs in the league. Ervin hasn't shown the ability to do anything consistently, and that's considering his injuries. What he offers to the team is easily replaced with better options at other positions. Seeing how Miller and Pope offer similar skill sets, I'd go with a more traditional powerback for the fourth RB.

And I haven't forgotten how Foreman showed flashes of being able to receive as well. I simply wouldn't lean too heavily on that this early considering he never really caught passes in the past. I would just want them to concentrate on getting him healthy for the season and in his role of gashing d-lines up the gut.

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  18. Pete the Cheat

DeMarco Murray have anything left?

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

AD is still out there too. I would take either, at least for a test run.

Fulgore likes this.
  20. raining threes

LOL

Where is his next Foreman/ a guy that can get that 3rd and 1 guy going to come from? I would look at Philly cutting Smallwood as a guy I would pick up. What do you think about Gilleslee?

I would go for a guy like Alfred Morris, I think Pope is going to end up to be the new 3rd down guy, I'm still wondering why Blue still has a place on this team. It's not like he's some kind of ST demon.