1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Our Running Backs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by deb4rockets, Aug 2, 2018.

1. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should we be worried about our running backs? How long do you think it will be before Foreman will be at full strength? Until then, I don't think our running game is going to be very good. I can't stand Lamar Miller, and don't even know why we have kept him this long. I guess Bill sees something I don't. Ervin and Blue aren't great either. I keep hoping one of our rookies ends up being something special, and replaces one of those guys. Does anyone know much about Terry Swanson or Lavon Coleman? I'm not sure what the deal is with Troymaine Pope, or what qualities he might have that might be promising.

2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Foreman probably won’t be full strength until late season or even 2019 season

3. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

That's what worries me. I'm hoping one of our rookies is a sweet surprise. I hate the thought of Miller being our starter. He is mediocre and boring.

4. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Not worried. There's some decent guys out there already that we can pick up, and there will only be more when cuts come.

Unless you have a Todd Gurley, Zeke Elliot, or Saquon type, running back is a position that you can get by with a slightly above average player at.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

OL, RB and TE positions are pretty low on talent

6. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Miller was productive when Watson was healthy

13 in 33 and UTSA2step like this.
  7. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

I believe we had one of the top rushing attacks through Watson's 6 games, even with the interior OL black hole that was XSF/Allen and the bizarre 3rd and 1 up the middle calls for Miller. As others have stated, they'll be some cuts and think you can piecemeal a competent backfield if needed.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

He only averaged 3.7 yards per carry for the season, and only 3.61 during the games with Watson. I know that's not bad, and it's in the top 15, but he's rarely explosive. I still hope we get lucky, and someone else can step in and get explosive while Foreman is out. Do I want too much? Always....LOL.

9. Nimo

Nimo Member

Lamar Miller was always better as a part of RBC as the change of pace back. Maybe by the end of the season when Foreman is %100 they can get that.

10. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Having Watson healthy for a full 16 games would do wonders for this running attack.

11. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I was simply talking Miller as the starter, and who we have now for backups. If we did pick up another back, that would be great.

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  12. barongan

barongan Member

Indeed, very interesting thread

raining threes likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I don't expect Foreman to ever fully return from his injury....so I'm pretty worried about the position, especially since BOB doesn't know how to properly use RB's to their strengths.

Nook, raining threes and deb4rockets like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Pope continues playing like he did tonight I think our RB situation will be alright. I didn't even know who this guy was before tonight.

deb4rockets and red5rocket like this.
  15. ROXonROXonROX

ROXonROXonROX Member

TBH I think we need to stop overrating Lamar Miller and start appreciating the RB’s that we have behind him. On our roster we currently have
    Lamar Miller (1)
    Alfred Blue (Cut)
    Tyler Ervin (Cut)
    D’onte Foreman (3)
    Lavon Coleman (Cut)
    Terry Swanson (Cut)
    Jay Prosh (4)
    Troymaine Pope (2)
    This is how I would start the season until Foreman comes back from PUP or just sit Foreman out the whole year and not rush him back.
    I think Pope has a lot of potential and can compete against Miller for that starting job especially with Miller having one more year on his contract left.
    I’m honestly tired of watching Blue run the ball and Ervin get hurt every damn time.
    One thing I hate about Bill is that he’s so stubborn and refuses to accept when he’s missed on a pick, this being Blue and Ervin, who he probably keeps around again at the expense of a better player; y’all remember Akeem Hunt? Yea way better than Ervin.

13 in 33 and deb4rockets like this.
  16. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

Bill stubborn? Say it isn't so.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I'm feeling more positive about the tight ends now, and see some hope with Pope.

red5rocket likes this.
  18. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

BOB is far too predictable with the run run pass, or straight up the middle. I wish he would get more creative. I think he needs better help with that, unless he is just too stubborn to listen to anyone else.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

One preseason game & Troymaine Pope is the next great thing & ready to fight for lead back duties. :D #overreactionfriday

20. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Don't think we'll can go into the season with just 2 deep at RB (don't consider Prosch a RB) until Foreman gets back. Think it'll come down to Blue or Ervin as a 3rd back. If Keke can come back and show some ability to return kicks/punts, think Ervin will be the odd man out.