1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Mariners @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Aug 9, 2018.

1. Senator

Senator Member

This game is way too late for a weeknight.

2. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

I put $25 on the Astros +1200 before this inning. Come on Maxwell!

3. HTown2017Champs

I know there are other things to think/worry about, but seriously, why does Hinch always make sure Kemp stays out of second base? I prefer Marwin at LF and Kemp at 2B, I believe we're better off defensively that way.

4. Senator

Senator Member

Got a good feeling about this

Yuli due for a homer this game, just need some guys on base

5. Stros66

Stros66 Member

Wow what a pitiful game. Better start waking up Stros. No more Davis.

6. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Correa being back should help.

7. Buck Turgidson

Who!?! Until people get healthy there's not much they can do.

8. HTown2017Champs

We could have started Reddick instead of Davis. Reddick in RF, Kemp at 2B, Gurriel at 3B. But it is what it is. Meanwhile Davis has been sent down to make room for Correa, so that's good.

9. Buck Turgidson

Aye, no more JD at 3B.

Just throwing something out...do yall think that maybe the Astros think Kemp is just a shitty 2Bman? He's played all of 8 innings there this year, even with Altuve out. Or is he just better than Marwin in LF? How could you tell which one of them is worse in LF?

10. HTown2017Champs

Well, I feel like Marwin's longer legs really help him cover more distance in the OF. Kemp always seems way too passive on balls in front of him, and many of his "highlights" are jumps that Marwin probably makes much easier. And Marwin has done a great job in the outfield, he has a good range, great arm, and plays balls well. Though a natural SS, I see Marwin as mostly LF/RF/1B, though, while still serviceable in CF/2B/3B/SS. His versatility is still a really great asset.

But you do bring up a good point. The Astros probably do think Kemp is bad at 2B if they always start him in the OF.

11. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Put me in the camp that's done with Davis. Marwin, Bregman or Yuli can start at 3B. Even White can play there in a pinch. He should be gone with Correa coming back.

I'm pretty much done with Will Harris as well, he ended up giving up the winning runs. I'm not gonna act like the game would have played out the exact same way if he didn't, but who knows. The rest of the pen kept the door locked and we got pretty close.

Lastly, Kemp and White are looking damn good. We've been searching for some of our 4A guys to become valuable MLB players, and I think they've answered the call. I could easily see them both combining to take our DH starts next year and also seeing some time in LF and 1B.

12. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Astros have played well at Home about 2 of their last 12 months of opportunity -- road, 11 of 12.

This Home phenomenon has affected both hitting and pitching.

marks0223 and texans1095 like this.
  13. HTown2017Champs

Yeah, I was a big Davis fan but now I'm happy to see him back in the minors. I wish him well, but he isn't good enough, he had a fair chance, but now it's time to move on.
    Same with Harris, we need to decline his option (or maybe trade him away) to dump some salary. He's easily our worst reliever now that Giles is gone.
    Impressed by Kemp and White. Hopefully both of them (and hopefully Reed as well) can all split between DH, bench, and 1B/2B/3B/LF (wherever applicable) next year. I think come September it will be Reed's turn to get a fair chance.

14. Buck Turgidson

Is that why he's a better baserunner than Kemp too?

Half the time Kemp takes terrible angles to the ball and has a 100% terrible arm, but he's fast and he makes up for it with speed. Marwin is slower than cold molasses but is halfway knowledgeable out there, and he has a great arm. Pick your poison.

ETA: Davis will hit, maybe not this year, maybe not for the Astros, but he will.

15. HTown2017Champs

Fair enough. Kemp is faster, but I feel like Marwin's height advantage helps him with "jump" plays. I also generally like his routes better. But Kemp has still done a great job in LF. I'm curious as to how he'd do playing 2B, but I guess the team just doesn't like him there. But it's nice to see him succeed.

CometsWin likes this.
  16. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

White OPS up to 981 now (only 64 ABs) and probably headed back to Fresno when Altuve returns.

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

18. Screaming Fist

I thought Yuli was beginning to turn it around a month ago but he continues to disappoint. White is beginning to look like a more attractive option at 1B but it will be hard for him to see any playing time once Altuve returns until rosters expand.

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I think we need to have a CF seance, and pray that Will Harris does not make the playoff roster. I've been done with that guy for 2 years......

20. DaChamp

DaChamp Member

I’m not a huge Harris fan, but he ran out of gas. Under normal circumstances, Hinch would have yanked him much earlier. Needed him to get through 2 innings because we had to go to the pen in the third inning. Hinch obviously didn’t want to burn the entire pen on a game that looked pretty much out of reach at that point.

The Astros have been fortunate this year that they haven’t had to go to the pen this early all year. I’m not sure who the long man is at this point. Thought it was McHugh, but guessing he is taking McCuller’s spot. Would have been nice to have someone come in and eat up 4 innings last night.