1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Waiver Trade Deadline (Potential help to solve the triage problem?)

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by cwebbster, Aug 6, 2018.

1. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

With the injuries mounting up, and the guys "going back to Houston" to be re-evaluated, who could be had that could help soften these blows?

I don't see anything materializing right now, but names like McCutchen and Donaldson have been thrown around. Lets have this be the all encompassing thread for news regarding the Aug 31st deadline. Will we capture lightning in a bottle again like we did last year at this time?

https://www.mlb.com/news/august-trade-rumors-and-waiver-claims/c-288987570

2. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

McCutchen and Big Joe from Minnesota

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Shin Soo Choo would be the guy I’d go after. Otherwise McCutchen.

Jakey likes this.
  4. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Are you sure you don't want J.T Realmuto? :D

swoosh1014 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

We'll really never know who clears waivers until they are traded or pulled back.

McCutchen would look good in LF. I do not want Choo right now, he'd be a great DH after this year (he is worthless in the OF), but I'm not sure how you get Arlington to pay most of his salary.

6. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

McCutchen would be ideal. He would be the perfect player to mentor the young guys aswell

edwardc likes this.
  7. bigdaddy

bigdaddy Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah Springer and Reddick suck at being a mentor

8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Whit Merrifield, Adrian Beltre

9. Buck Turgidson

Meh. No way they trade Whit without a serious prospect haul (would love to have him though) and Beltre doesn't fill a need anymore (not sure he's better than Gattis at DH). Need to look OF.

10. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

Kyle Tucker it is

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

He vetoed a trade already and he's making it seem like he doesn't want to go anywhere but Adam Jones. Maybe the team that was after him weren't quite contenders but just a playoff team. Maybe he might waive to a team that has a good shot at winning the World Series.

I don't think he would clear waivers/make it to Astros but a site had Granderson as a potential August trade bait. If you want to get desperate, also had Bautista. Valencia as well but is he more of a 3B then an OF?

#11 punkoholic, Aug 7, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
  12. Buck Turgidson

I think McCutchen would be a cheap acquisition and fill a need, but I just noticed...he has never played LF in his MLB career, and I'm not sure he's a very good RF anymore.

off-topic: Phillys and Dbacks going to the bottom of the 14th, good game, I was trying to go to sleep.

13. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

McCutchen could be nice but Giants are still within striking distance and believe they can win

14. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

I’m a Granderson fan. No thanks on Bautista or Valencia. Whoever they get would need to be able to play the OF.

Looks like Marwin might be heating up which takes some pressure off, especially since it also looks like Altuve/Springer/Correa will all be back in plenty of time for the playoffs.

15. TMAC3

TMAC3 Member

they are 6 games out behind 5 teams...

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

The Royals have already said they are not trading him and our actually planning on working out an extension with him. i'D love HIM on this club though. Perfect #2 hitter.

17. SKYGODZ187

SKYGODZ187 Member

Jose iglasias
    Needs to be added and used for depth.
    Just cleared waivers

18. cwebbster

cwebbster Contributing Member

Jordan Zimmerman did too

19. Screaming Fist

Eating a good chunk of Choo's salary would be a convenient way to improve their mediocre farm.

I think my biggest issue with Choo is that he's so awful as an OF that he really has to carry a .350+ wOBA to even be worth having on the roster. There's a good chance that will return to being a below average player as a corner OF and we can already get that kind of production for free with Kemp and Marwin.

HTown2017Champs likes this.
  20. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

They were actively looking for help and just got their ace back. It’s not exactly a strong division