1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Building a gaming PC, I need help.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by lue03, Jul 9, 2013.

1. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i can prob make do with my current keyboard/mouse....monitor i'd prob upgrade if it can be included, great! if not...i'd give it some thought to add that in as well.
    not looking to overclock...just something i can run most newer games on high graphics settings/also able to be a little future proof...maybe VR ready in case i wanna get a VR headset and dabble in that at some point?

my post above this one is more what i'm looking for though...i mean in case down the line i do it again. that way i know where i can go or look up to find the CPU/graphics card etc that are decent years down the road

2. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

3. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

Good system community in the link below. Spend some time reading threads from the past month or so.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum-31.html

You might consider waiting just a bit.

It is rumored that NVIDIA is about to release its 11xx series of graphics cards which could have a big effect graphic card prices.

I've already seen a couple really good deals on 1080s in the past week.

4. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

CPU - Intel i7-8770 for $300. You dont need to spend $350 for i7-8770k since you wont overlock. the one without K is just fine for you. the K version can be had for $300 if you have a Microcenter near you. If you have a Microcenter near you then you can also get $30 combo discount when purchasing a MB with CPU. You can get $25 off $200 on Newegg currently with Masterpass and coupon code.

CPU Cooler - Noctua NH-D15s. Best aircooler you can get for these chips that run hot. $80. Although if you are not getting a K version then you can go cheaper for something else.

Motherboard - AsRock z370 Extreme4. Very stable and very well priced MB at about $160

GPU - Currently B&H has EVGA 1080 SC card for $498 and it includes a FREE EVGA 750 PSU!! Grab this before its gone! Click on the link below and add GPU to cart and the PSU will be automatically added to cart for free. Even if you are not buying the other parts right now, but are set on building a PC, buy this tonight before the deal is gone.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1257990-REG/evga_08g_p4_6183_kr_geforce_gtx_1080_sc.html

Memory - Corsair Vengence LPX low profile 16GB On sale for $160 on newegg.

SSD - Samsung 960 Evo 500GB About $120.

HDD - Look at the reviews and grab one based on your need for capacity for about $50-100. Personally I would put that money towards a 1TB SSD.

Case - Lots of choices from cheap to expensive. Just make sure it has clearance for your video card and that noctua cooler if you get it. Noctua coolers need a lot of clearance. I personally went with this Fractal Design R6 case ($110) which is amazing, but you can go with something cheaper and do just as well..

If you add all that up, you are looking at right below $1500 for very good quality parts. I built a system for myself a few months ago and used pretty much all the same parts except 850w psu and 1080 ti GPU but you dont need to get them.

#44 Zboy, Aug 3, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    Deckard likes this.
  5. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

what would be a decent monitor to go along with this build if i went thay way?

6. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

7. theimpossibles1

Anyone know of any great deals on a full system? Would love to spend under $600.

Just a PC or laptop, don't need a monitor/keyboard/mouse.

8. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

how hard is it to install this cooler? looks to be pretty giant. if i remember correctly last time my friend built my rig for me...the provided cooler was just a little thing and had posts you just pinched into slots.

9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Not sure what you are looking for.

What is your budget?

What size screen are you looking for?

Are you very picky about frequency or freesync?

Do you like ultrawide?

Is color quality (IPS) more important to you than response time?

A single 1080 GTX will run any game on Medium to High settings on 4K at a respectable frequency.. Even higher settings if not doing 4k.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

IMO, not much harder than installing any other cooler, which you have to anyways.

It is slightly tricky when aligning it to the screw notches and then applying pressure to screw it down. Have to make sure to align it properly before pushing it down, or else the thermal paste will be smeared off. You can mitigate this by applying the thermal paste using credit card method instead of leaving it as a drop.

The most important thing regarding this cooler is to make sure your case fits it.

Also make sure you get the one with "S" at the end of model number. These are the newer revised designs which have single fans and notches on the bottom for easy access to RAMs.

11. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

12. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

budget: idk....usually anything thats considered bang for buc/mid range i guess?
    size: 24-27 in would be fine
    not picky
    ultrawide: not necessary
    i'd say color quality is more important than response time

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I am fine with 60-75Hz and like IPS. I use the following monitors:

LG 43UD79 which is a 43 inch 4K monitor and Dell U3818DW which is a curved 38 inch Ultrawide.

I really like LG 43UD79 in terms of bang for the buck. You can usually get it on sale for about $500. Gaming on that 43 inch screen at 4k is very immersive and a blast. Although you need to make sure you have a desk with at least 24 inches of depth. You want to sit close to it but not very close. Love using this monitor.

The Dell 38 inch is also great but that will cost you nearly twice as much.

There are other options at lower price range. If you are not a professional gamer, dont worry too much about all the tech specs such as response time and input lag. Most monitors nowadays are good enough where unless you are a professional and are very sensitive, you wont be able to tell a difference.

Also, dont worry too much about 144hz display. You wont be able to run most games at anywhere near that frequency because of the graphic card bottleneck unless you drop your resolution to 1080p, which is fine then.

Here are some other monitors to consider...

and many more....

Most can be bought for cheaper prices on sale on newegg.

Just make sure it is an IPS screen if you care about color accuracy. Also, higher end Dell models come factory calibrated and have the best in industry 3 year warranty. Two way free shipping and overnight replacement on monitors.

The LG I have is also an IPS screens and comes factory calibrated in terms of color but have to dial down the brightness a lot before using it.

#53 Zboy, Aug 4, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2018
    CCity Zero likes this.
  14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I have some Radeon RX 580s I'm selling if you're interested. I'll give you a good price.

15. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Not bad, you just need more modern case, but going air these are great fans/setups (looks like already answered above). Regardless these only lose to water etc. The new Intel procs don't even include heatsinks for their upper end since the basic ones are ****, so evo 212 and higher up to this are best plan (I personally run 212 with just upgraded fans/Nocs). Since you mentioned no oc'ing, if you're into upgrading later the K procs hold their price extremely well and could always OC later.. So if you ever resell the i5/i7 K setups don't lose value like non-K versions (and yes, there's an insane aftermarket on the K version procs). On a side note, you literally can't screw up the oc'ing on these K versions, like boards by Asus/MSI I prefer... (no order here, have never had issues with either and have built way too many systems to count) But they have auto OC that does really good job for people new to OC.

It looks like you have a lot of great advice above. With that said, depending on time frame nvidia is coming soon but the deal mentioning psu and 1080 if available still is killer.

I am still hardcore intel/nvidia because amd (while ryzen is great cpu) I just can't get into their gpus due to driver support (and maybe it's better now finally, but it needs more support imo).

As far as displays great advice above, 1440p, ultrawide, or 4k.. at those resolutions you don't really need AA like you do on the lower resolutions so a 1080 gpu can run 4k at high settings np, but again... Nvidia is rumored very soon, so you might want to get 1080 and plan on reselling for the new one depending on resolution etc.

Also monitors... Lots of choices, if going 4k, I recommend minimum of 40" the other option is looking at a display that can do 4k 60hz and then 1080p at 120hz (a true 120hz input too not the bs from previous tvs giving soap opera garbage effect and adding lag), but need to make sure that if you go that route it has super low input lag (and if tv, check out TVratings site iirc), because it needs to do 4:4:4.

If it's true monitor I prefer to find one that doesn't have multi inputs/scaler (see Korean monitors... Knock offs with true samsung/LG panels), great because Because no scalers and near 0 input lag because of this, and 1440p looks great on 27". With that said, if spending more.. high refresh rate displays are wonderful. Also as mentioned above by Zboy, if going legit monitor input lag doesn't matter like it used to be (unless pro gamer and I'm probably too old by now to notice, but if it gives me a small chance in reaction it helps us olds in our 30s), I just mentioned the Korean monitors to get insane deal (well sometimes, it can vary).

Let me know if you have any questions sorry on delay in reply. But lots of great advice here.

#55 CCity Zero, Aug 5, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 5, 2018
    Zboy likes this.
  16. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Yes, all of this, great advice. I think only time input lag is important is if looking at 4k TV setup (TV with true 4:4:4 basically monitor etc, that's where I've seen checking ratings sites being super important), but true monitor definitely not a concern like it was any longer.

17. cheke64

cheke64 Member

i'm just gonna go to micro center and look there. I want to be a professional gamer that make 500k a month

Fullcourt likes this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Need to buy a desk for it. Any recommendations?

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I dont know what size you are looking for.

I got this which is on the large size but it is fantastic.

Rock solid and sturdy with plenty of real estate.

Whatever you get, make sure to verify it is sturdy and wont wobble/move when you type. That just drives me nuts.

cheke64 likes this.
  20. FlyerFanatic

Supporting Member

is it just me or is anyone else not seeing the images Zboy is posting...theres just a blank gap where the picture should be

EDIT: also looking at youtube vids for that LG monitor you suggested...heard a few times the reviewers saying its not great for gaming. is that just the reviewer speaking to the people who want that crazy refresh rate and response time?

also how well would that monitor handle if i wanted to say play blu-ray's through it?