1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you like the Michael-Carter Williams signing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 3, 2018.

?

Do you like the Michael-Carter Williams signing?

1. Yes

43.2%
  2. No

56.8%
  1. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Uhhhh. Williams is the Rookie of the Year winner. That’s his role.

2. mockster

mockster Member

True he can still be shaqtin a fool mvp don’t aim so low

3. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Mcw is our new KJ Mcdaniels! Need someone to foul the other teams bad free throw shooter in closing minutes sometimes.

brownxmas, jamisonrocket and hakeem94 like this.
  4. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

Those are good points you make about Mike D'Antoni and PG play. Also, I didn't realize MCW was that old. I was under the impression that he was maybe 24 or 25.

Again, I never had any expectations, my post about this deal was wishful thinking (still is) but I have even less expectations now, given his age.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He is our Michael B Jordan, not MJ.

6. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

Yea, that's why I don't have much expectation for him either, he was an old rookie that was supposed to be NBA ready, and he's basically in his prime now. This would be year 8 for most current rookies. Not many guys make drastic improvements at this stage, and he hasn't even really made any small gradual improvements.

Basically at this stage it seems like it might be more about trying to minimize his duties and to fit him in a role where you maximize his strengths and minimize his weaknesses. What exactly does that look like? I couldn't tell you, but some sort of defensive role player, cut, play the baseline, 2nd or third ball handler just to take pressure off the better guys, and if he can get the shot on that helps, but can't necessarily expect that either.

7. ThunderStruck

ThunderStruck Member

You might be doing some revisionist history here. People liked the Livingston signing many fans had seen how he was producing with Brooklyn, he didn't come out of nowhere, he's doing the same thing he was doing before they signed him. The problem with Carter-Williams is that he hasn't been producing well, that doesn't apply to all the guys you mentioned. If Carter-Williams just does the same thing as he's been doing in previous seasons, the Rockets will not be paying him much at all.

Iguodala going to GS was huge, I don't Remeber anyone not wanting him via trade, when are you referring to? He was a FA with Denver, sought after by a lot of teams and he was sign and traded to GS.

I personally I'm not a fan of inefficient high volume scorers like Monta was, so I liked the Bogut trade, but a lot of GS fans did not, it was split between those who could see the value of a DPOY level defensive player and this who were caught by Monta's shiny stats.

I agree that small moves can turn out big, Capela was a late first, Melton could be good, Tucker was excellent, Mbah A Moute was good, but usually there are signs of that. I told people in other avenues last summer that Mbah A Moute would be a lot better for the Rockets than they think and would be in the rotation. Most people didn't pay attention to him on the Clippers and didn't realize how good he was.

MCW could turn out good in the sense that we never know what might happen, and everyone certainly hopes it happens, but that differs from a move where you can see the signs and can see from previous play why this player will be good.

ilovehtownbb and xlr817 like this.
  8. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

I don’t expect MCW too be on the floor much (especially on offensive possessions) but he is rated the #10 wing defender on switch defense. I’m more than fine with him being stashed away behind CP3, Harden, Gordon, Melton & Green amongst guards.

Little Bit likes this.
  9. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

He's terrible, but what choice do we have? Not many established PGs are willing to come play behind CP3, Harden, and EGo for the minimum. At least he's tall and can get a decent overall box score in limited minutes. I'd take him over Briante Weber.

10. fryjol7

fryjol7 Member

Well, if we are focused on the warriors it makes sense to have a counter to Shaun Livingston.

heypartner and smoothie like this.
  11. YaoMing#1

YaoMing#1 Member

MCW is not a game changer by any means but he is a solid defender who can dribble a basketball and set ppl up decently.

He should do okay in this offense in the limited opportunities he does get running the pick and roll.

I expect Melton to overtake him by mid season assuming both are on the roster.

Hopefully Melton goes clippers style Eric Bledsoe and we can ditch MCW.

12. Mr.Pringles

Mr.Pringles Member

In a one possession game I’d still much rather see MCW defensively with CP3, Tucker, Capela and Ennis/or a 3&D player Morey acquires. Atleast he’s going to fight through a switch and contest a shot that sorta effort aludes Harden and typically Gordon

13. kingkingston

kingkingston Member

defensively his length will trouble players like curry as it has in the past

smoothie likes this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

he won't make the 7 man WCF rotation. he wont make the 8-9 man playoff rotation. but he adds length and depth (that's what she said) to our 10-11 man regular season rotation.

can't go wrong adding defensive versatility and ball handling for the vet min.

Deuce likes this.
  15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I think MCW will surprise us all. His defense is going to be the difference in some games for us.

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

His defense against the opponent or against his teammates?

coachbadlee likes this.
  17. dischead

dischead Member

6 hard fouls to give to Curry's knee. Kidding!

brownxmas and clutchdabear like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Are we absolutely sure his deal is guaranteed? I haven't been following this thread.

19. topfive

topfive CF OG

All of you guys whining about us not re-signing Luc and instead signing MCW are missing the point.

Luc couldn't hit a damn layup to save his life in the playoffs. Murray obviously said, "I need someone who can do that same thing for less money."

seeingred and brownxmas like this.
  20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Luc had an injured shoulder. What's MCW's excuse?