1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Clint Capela's trade value under new contract

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Jul 27, 2018.

1. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

It has to be pretty high, right? Only $18 million per year with cap at $100+M and going up. Under contract for 5 years, through likely his entire prime. Still young enough to consider significant improvement potential.

Would you trade him for Jimmy Butler or some other more established but older player?

2. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

Should net more than the Clips got from Detroit for Blake.

hakeem94 and D-rock like this.
  3. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

5 years of club control as the best defensive center in the league is more valuable than a Jimmy Butler expiring. Think, Jaylen Brown--with two years left of club control on a rookie contract before hitting RFA--valuable.

4. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Not JB, but shirley others.

5. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

Come on Daryl, the ink's not even dry yet.

6. Milosch

Milosch Member

I would not. He's pretty darned valuable right now, and we found him.

jevjnd and ramotadab like this.
  7. YOLO

YOLO Member

nice. CC can't even get a full day of enjoyment before cf's gauges his trade value :rolleyes:

8. Senator

Senator Member

He's not even close to being the best defensive center. It's better value than Steven Adams, but never going to push a team over the top. I don't know what teams would give up for him, but I would definitely trade him for Butler.

Whereas KAT, Embiid, Jokic... teams would give up a lot.

9. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

Must be a sign and trade... thanks for the heads up Durrell Mouray!

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

how many centers are better than him defensively. Ill wait

he may not be the "best" but there certainly isn't some long list of people ahead of him in that regard at C

11. Spacemoth

I'll concede Gobert being better at the rim, but it's not like Capela is no slouch. Where Capela is elite is in his feet. We saw this play out when Houston torched Gobert by iso-ing him against Harden or CP3 on the perimeter. GSW when they tried it with Curry on Capela gave up within a couple games lol. Easily the best moving center in the league, and best perimeter defender. Only Embiid comes close.

12. Senator

Senator Member

Anthony Davis (demarcus no longer taking up 5)
    Joel Embiid
    Steven Adams for 1 on 1 defense, the guy also bullied Capela around
    Rudy Gobert - positionally poor, coming off bad season.
    Jusuf Nurkic
    DeAndre Jordan
    Draymond Green (1/3 of minutes at 5)

Would take all on a defensive position in close game over Capela.

If it becomes apparent Paul Harden Capela not enough to go at GSW with Durant, I would definitely trade him.

JamalP. likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

a lot of questionable and I can easily throw DJ out. He is terrible in space and on the perimeter at this point. And this just proved my post. There isn't some long list so, CC is very much one of the top defensive centers.

RealRocFan47 likes this.
  14. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

I think anyone that would trade Capela for Butler is brain dead.

Ive said it 100 times. Capela is going to keep improving and Butler is already on the decline. Also Butler's skill set is a lot more common in this league and thus much easier to replicate at a lower price point.

Cant we just be happy instead of trying to find really dumb ways to make our team worse?

15. Senator

Senator Member

The quote said "best defensive center in the league". It is very questionable to consider him top 5. The point isn't to put down the signing, it was necessary, but acknowledge it should be a no brainer to trade him for a high talent player who matches up better with Warriors. Capela isn't shutting down Cousins, he isn't shutting down Green. He finishes nicely and is a good piece to have, but I don't know it's enough for a title. Durant ruined league.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

We were 42-3 last year with all 3 of them healthy. I'd say that's enough to go at GSW. And also, Nurkic and DAJ are not better than Clint defensively. You are seriously undervaluing Clint's athleticism.

17. YOLO

YOLO Member

and you said he wasn't even close which i highlighted

jevjnd likes this.
  18. Senator

Senator Member

Reg season against weak opposition means squat compared to GSW and whoever else rises to elite over next year.

To each his own.

19. Spacemoth

AD is not a center. Draymond is not a center. Steven Adams is a **** team defensive center, look at that klutz try to shuffle his feet around once Westbrook lets his man blow past him. Nurkic I won't even address.

You're basically looking at a list of Capela Gobert and Embiid. No Clutchfan will defend you otherwise. Get your anti-homer bias outta here.

20. YOLO

YOLO Member

#weakopposition