1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Space City Scoop] Interview with general manager Daryl Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Deuce, Jul 25, 2018.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Knight: The offseason is far from over. What other additions, besides the one you can’t talk about, are the Rockets looking to make this summer?

Morey: I think we’re always active in the trade market if we see something. We don’t have anything imminent there, but before February we always try to add something to the team. I think that has a decent chance [of happening].

In terms of signings, probably not much left. We do have our past draft picks or recent draft picks to sign so we have to get those done. But signings-wise, I don’t think you’ll see anything until later in the year in the buyout-type season.

Knight: Speaking of those younger draft picks, what has impressed you the most about De’Anthony Melton so far? He’s looking like a real steal.

Morey: Everyone says this, but it’s true: We were very high on Melton and were thrilled when he was available. We were trying to move up to get him and it’s a good thing that we didn’t. We were high enough on him to make sure we got him.

RocketWalta, carib, roslolian and 5 others like this.
  2. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Glad he likes Melton, he looks like the best prospect we've had in 10 years, at least.

Little Bit, clutchdabear and da_juice like this.
  3. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Makes a ton of sense. 1) Not much bargain piece left. If so, vet min is sufficient. 2) It's already a compelling group. A lot of question marks. Melo fit? Ennis fit? MCW bounce back? Boost Ryno's trade value? How much can Melton develop? Health issue overall?

Let this group roll. By at least the end of the year. We are able to answer these questions with some clarity. Trade market is opened up. By the coming February. We get to know this group more. Buyout market is opened up. With dry powder, we outbid others. We gear up for a deep run.

Season is long. Patience is king.

clutchdabear and Deckard like this.
  4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Really looking forward to the February trade deadline when Morey trades Anderson(and Nanu?) out of here for a more useful player.

5. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

[​IMG]

htxaf, JuNx, Trackwell and 14 others like this.
  6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

It's only possible if RA and Nanu play respectably well, otherwise we might end up with the next Joe Johnson and Brandon Wright.

carib likes this.
  7. topfive

topfive CF OG

Translation: "Melo's signing for vet min and we're holding onto the MLE. That way we'll have more $ to offer a bought-out vet later in the year. Let's just hope he has more impact than Joe Johnson this time."

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

9. lionaire

lionaire Member

In that case we need to find one more wing at the vet min.

saleem and carib like this.
  10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Bring on Bebe for the min!

JuNx, don grahamleone and saleem like this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Having a big chunk of MLE all season doesn't really excite me. You don't control your own destiny in that situation.

It's a gamble. You're hoping a player shakes shakes loose, and that when he does, that player is motivated by money. Ultimately, that'll be money that could have gone towards securing Luc or some other full-time contributor.

Holding onto the MLE is not only a bad move in my eyes, it's a weird one.

saleem, carib, ashleyem and 2 others like this.
  12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Well, right now the roster is likely going to look like this

PG: Paul / MCW / Melton
    SG: Harden / Gordon /
    SF: Mello / Ennis / Green
    PF: Tucker / Anderson / Zhou
    C: Capela / Nene / Hartenstein / Nanu

-2 Way Contracts: Vincent Edwards / Gary Clark

That is 15 players. A consolidation trade moving Anderson+Nanu for 1 player would be nice to get it to 14.

topfive, j@amc, Game7 and 1 other person like this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Perhaps they are not confident in Luc staying healthy and thus view the opportunity cost of being able to secure a role player that time is better than an injury risk of Luc.

roslolian likes this.
  14. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Definitely possible. But if so you move on and try to sign someone else. Historically, how many buyout candidates are even motivated by money, and will any be better than the pool available at the start of free agency this year?

A contender choosing not to use its MLE. That's WEIRD, man. Something is up behind the scenes.

15. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

How many contenders have the MLE left? Houston could get the #1 buyout option. Money talks and it’s a nice position to be in

dlite316, topfive, RudyTBag and 2 others like this.
  16. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I think the money angle is just a "value add" to joining a contending team. Just a little bit more to offer if someone is looking at comparable situations.

Right now, the Rockets might really like Ennis and MCW to fill the roles. And might be bullish on Melton.

17. PWR

PWR Member

So, we're rolling with...
    Paul, Melton, MCW?
    Harden, Gordon, Green
    Tucker, Ennis, House?/Edwards?
    Melo, Anderson, Hartenstein
    Capela, Nene, Zhou/Onuaku?

Need to cut 2. Personally, I would ditch MCW and Onuaku. Put Edwards and Hartenstein on 2-way contracts. I really wish we could have seen Gary Clark in summer league. I have a gut feeling this kid is worth keeping.

18. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

This is 100% correct. If it comes down to GSW at the minimum or the Rockets with an MLE offer then most players will choose the Rockets unless they are only chasing the ring which may be possible. Most would prefer the challenge and the larger contract in that situation especially if we have more playing time to offer them as well.

If a player like Demarre Carroll gets bought out after a midseason trade, I would expect him to go to the contender that is the highest bidder that is also able to offer him the most minutes if possible. WIN-WIN. Also, every year there are players that no one expects to get bought out/waived that do. Josh Smith is the most infamous but he won't be the last.

19. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Historically.... Let's say we had the full MLE during the buyout period for the past 10 seasons. What are the best case scenarios? List the players that were bought out & took the highest offer since 2008. How many moved the needle?

I'm hoping someone has a few case studies, but nothing is coming to mind for me. Josh Smith?

To me, you don't use the MLE, you gamble, that shows you don't really have a plan. Which is bad. Maybe they think they know something we don't. We'll see.

carib and Why not? like this.
  20. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

That wouldn't surprise me at all, Ziggy. In fact, the one thing you can count on, whether it's before the season starts or around the deadline, is that if Morey does anything, it'll be a surprise. in my opinion, at any rate. I'll be shocked if we don't end up using what's left of the MLE (after at least giving Melton part of it) while it's available.