1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Hartenstein and Zhou can improve with hard work on their fitness. Either one could reach RA's athletic ability, but it's going to take time. Perhaps Hartenstein can reach that level by the trading deadline. Zhou might take longer to get there, I think. They can play as backups.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  2. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

Vet min for Melo; If he is really about winning then money shouldn't be an issue after being bought out with no discount. The 2018-19 MLE could get the Rockets a good player later during buyouts after trade deadline.

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yb7v8ask
    Rockets - Suns - Kings - Hornets Trade
    Rockets: Marquese Chriss, Tyson Chandler, Zach Randolph

Suns: Kemba Walker, Ben McLemore

Kings: Ryan Anderson, 2019 Houston 1st, Suns 2022 2nd

Hornets: Harry Giles, Nene, Suns 2019 1st, Future Protected Rockets 1st

This would give the Rockets a big man even if Capela bolts next year. Chandler gives us championship experience at the pick and roll big man position. We would have a "Boogie" counter with Z-Bo. Marquese Chriss (w/c)ould be our power forward of the future. It costs some picks and luxury tax but Rockets have to make moves to beat the Warriors. Plus Deandre Jordan is probably signing here next year with Chandler and Z-Bo off the books...hopefully Jordan will not take the full 2019-20 MLE unless he signs long term.

Suns would clear up some big man log jam while also getting an good starting PG with Kemba Walker. Ben McLemore can try to redefine his career being a dead-eye athletic sniper (like JR Smith) behind Devin Booker.

Kings also help clear up a big man log jam, save money, and get a pick or two.

Hornets save money and go full rebuilding mode. Get some prospect(s) and picks for Kemba and stop hovering in the mediocre territory.

C: Capela, Chandler, Randolph
    PF: Melo, Chriss, Qi
    SF: Tucker, Ennis
    SG: Beard, Gordon, Green
    PG: CP3, MCW, Melton

This gives trade options like using Gordon + Capela + filler to upgrade the SF/PF starting position. Even as is this roster is really versatile.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I’m trying to look up: if a player signs off on the QO, can he be traded in that season?

That would be incentive for the Rockets to sign him now (or the chances of losing him forever & getting
    nothing in return increase)........if that is the case.

saleem likes this.
  4. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Question(s): why is MCW listed as a player we (Rockets) receive in your trade link?
    He has no dollar amount assigned to him per the trade machine. Does it throw the trade off?

Like @D-rock mentioned earlier; I don’t think the Kings will give up on Harry Giles just yet.

I’m not sure McLemore can be traded, again. He may have to wait until Dec. They need to trade him as soon
    as they get him....or is it just free agents signed can’t be traded so soon. Bjelica has agreed to a
    contract with Kings.......but is it under the belief of being traded to Houston or another team? Maybe
    stay with the Kings. Trade needs to be like in something like within 24 hrs. Anyone know for sure?

Bearius Jones likes this.
  5. saleem

I don't know the answer, but I don't see any reason why they couldn't trade him, if he signed the QO.

Capela could make 7M with the QO. The Rockets could probably get a late first rounder for him at the trading deadline ( Feb 2019), or two seconds. That's not too bad.

6. Bearius Jones

Bearius Jones Member

I included MCW because he is a Rockets player but ESPN did not update the roster. It does not effect the trade.
    Hmm...replace Harry Giles with Skal Labissière?
    I thought trading players around December pertained to recently signed free agents.

7. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well the Capela QO is $4.75 mil from what I’ve seen. I was being generous about Capela making about $7 mil
    in Europe. Not sure why Capela doesn’t take a 1-yr deal from $7M to $12M and go to free agency in the summer.

Does a 1-yr deal cancel his ability to be a free agent next summer?
    Can the Rockets offer him just 1 year? (Rockets have offered him multi-year deals from $60-$85M)
    To these questions I’m not sure about. I think Nerlens Noel refused about $10-$12 mil from Mavs.....
    not sure if it was only for 1-yr or on the avg over several yrs.

List of players overseas in 2016. $6 mil was good....but most top players earned less than $3M.
    https://www.eurohoops.net/en/tradem...-with-ease-top-euroleague-salaries-for-euros/

saleem likes this.
  8. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Nerlens Noel is an example of a Restricted Free Agent situation gone bad.
    https://247sports.com/nba/mavericks...el-Because-It-Doesnt-Work-That-Way-106496019/

They mention an Oct 1st deadline......but that Tristan Thompson also went into the season not
    signing the QO and holding out.

saleem likes this.
  9. saleem

Thanks. I'm glad you corrected me.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I could be wrong. Please correct if I’m wrong on anything. I’m far from perfect.

11. saleem

Neither am I.

12. saleem

13. saleem

What was the outcome of the Tristan Thompson situation? I vaguely recall that he ended up signing a new multi
    year contract.

14. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Check his wiki - esp. Footnotes
    I would post it, but 1) on tablet and 2) feeling lazy

saleem likes this.
  15. saleem

The worst case scenario for Houston apart from Capela walking as a UFA after signing the QO, is getting a pick for him at the trading deadline. Only a team with high playoff aspirations in the East would be a "good" trade partner. Clint would have to be okay with that. Initially, I was thinking the Rockets could extract a first rounder for him, but since the new team couldn't retain him, the best that the Rockets could expect is a second round pick for him.

16. saleem

Thanks, that's fine. 5 years and 82 M turned out to be a excellent deal for TT.

17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Last time i quote you, promise. I have no interest in dialog with you either.

Responding to why SAC does a trade to eat crap contracts - for the first round picks of course. Just like any team with cap space are selling their arses.

Why not? and ApacheWarrior like this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, LeBron intervened and got on management to pay the guy. If not it may have dragged on longer.

Cavs ended up regretting it long term.

One of the reasons Dan Gilbert supposedly said he kinda wished LeBron would leave....so he could have his team back. He ended up overpaying for TT, JR Smith and Shumpert

TT did help them win one championship though.

saleem likes this.
  19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

4 teams: MIA, SAC, WSH, HOU
    MIA: Ryan Anderson (HOU) + HOU 2021 1st (top 15 protected)
    SAC: Dion Waiters (MIA) + MIA 2022 2nd + HOU 2020 2nd + rights to Gentille (HOU)
    WSH: James Johnson (MIA) + Deyonta Davis (SAC) bought out + Chidi Onuawu (HOU) bought out + HOU 2019 1st (unprotected) + $3M cash from HOU
    HOU: Otto Porter, Jr. (WSH)

MIA cuts $6M = no luxury tax. Ryan adds another outside shooter / stretches the floor. Future 1st replaces pick sent to Philly.
    SAC picks up 2 2nds for taking on Waiters + fills G/F need.
    WSH cuts $12M = no luxury tax. Replaces OPJ with Johnson + picks up a 1st.
    HOU = champ-ion-ship

Htown could also try to get Satornsky by including MCW. Collect those assets!

#OPJM

Rocketsfanguy and bilaal14 like this.
  20. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

A Dream Trade scenario:

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=ybqn6wbu

4 TEAM TRADE:
    Houston:
    J. Butler(Minn), J.Johnson(Mia), I. Shumpert(Sac)
    Miami: R. Anderson(Hou), (T. Black(Hou)/IsoJoe(Hou) resigned to $$ equal to Nene in TM)
    Sacramento: D. Waiters(Mia)
    Minnesota: E. Gordon(Hou), J. Winslow(Mia), Hou 1st round pick, Hou 2nd, rights to Gentile(or Llul)

WHY EACH TEAM DOES IT:
    Houston:
    It's obvious, we become world champions
    Miami: Get out of the tax by saving 5.6mil, (maybe give them that Hou 2nd rounder if needed)
    Sacramento: Get a rotation player in Waiters locked in for 3 yrs for an expiring, same $$
    Minnesota: Butler is going to leave, but they can get a starter in EGo/resigned longer maybe, prospect in Winslow, plus draft picks and rights to Gentile or Llul; or both if it takes it.

Houston 2018-2019 Championship Roster:
    CP3
    - MCW - Melton
    Harden - Green - Shumpert
    Butler - Ennis
    Melo - Tucker - Qi
    Capela - Johnson - Nene - Hartenstein

The Warriors couldn't beat that imho!

(used Nene only in the trade machine for salary matching, but want to keep him for locker room leadership. Replace his 3.7 mil with a resigned T. Black, IsoJoe or both to trade to Miami on 1 year deals, that can be waived, or send cash to even buy them out)

jch1911 likes this.