1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2018-19

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 7, 2018.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

???

Why are you replying to my post with that?

That trade idea is terrible (sorry), it's absolutely horrific for Sac and completely unrealistic. If I wanted to respond and talk about that trade idea I would have, and I didn't.

joshuaao likes this.
  2. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I definitely think Aminu should be a target. Morey did say he has something up this sleeve which means its in progress at the moment.

D-rock likes this.
  3. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

In
    Hawks: Randolph
    Cavs: S&T Capela
    Kings: Anderson, Hawks (2) 2nd, Rockets 1st
    Rockets: Melo and Love

Out
    Hawks: Melo and (2) 2nd
    Cavs: Love
    Kings: Randolph
    Rockets: Capela, Anderson, 1st

Hawks get that cap room they need and only pay 12 million for an expiring player that they could use vs just cutting 27 million
    Cavs get a young top 10 center replacement (I really don't think the offers for Love will/are that strong and I think Capela's stats are boosted by CP3 and Harden)
    Kings get a home town player and load up on picks while getting rid of the Randolph experiment which didn't work
    Rockets move Anderson and a hurt Capela who might just sign the QO and walk. Now the tax bill would say whether Tilman was willing to pony up.

4. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

Are you allowed to take a player back via sign and trade when you’re over the luxury tax like Houston currently is?

5. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

I think so but this would hardcap the Cavs

6. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

They’re capped anyway and should be looking to shed salary so maybe the budge but I think Capela is just too important unless someone like Tyson Chandler gets bought out and replaces him.

7. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

Oh we would be hurting at C but the choices right now are overpay for Capela (not happening), he signs the 4/60 that's on the table (I don't think that's happening), or he signs the QO and most likely walks for nothing. I think we need to come to grips with losing Capela.

Love could play C but he'd be more likely to get hurt and he'd be abused by the bigger boys down low. We'd have to have Morey pull a no name out of his hat or hope for a buyout/pickup.

8. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Trade with Sacramento

Houston trades: Anderson, Gordon, Nene, 1st rounder
    Sacramento trades: Randolph, Shumpert, Koufos, Hield

We do it to move Anderson, acquire expiring contracts, upgrade backup C and get a younger version of Gordon.

Sacramento does it for the draft pick, to get the best player in the deal (EG) and move three players they probably have little interest in retaining long-term.

9. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Cavs are about $110.7M team salary currently.

They are discussing trading Korver to Philly to decrease their team salary.......in the event Houston trades
    Ryan Anderson to Kings, which could free up enough money to turn around and offer Rodney Hood more
    than the Cavs would currently like to match (since they are in repeater tax territory).

I don’t think Philly has many if any non guaranteed contracts to send the Cavs way though.

10. eman

eman Contributing Member

Since we did not get JJ Redick...

I wish we would trade someone to open up a roster spot for Jimmer.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  11. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

5 M for 85 M plus incentives to reach 90 M is a very good offer for Clint, I don't think he is worth that much. I believe he might ask for a S/T from the Rockets very soon. It's very unlikely for him to get a better offer than this, but he probably is mad at the Rockets organization. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if he took the QO, but my gut feeling is that he wants out of Houston, even though he knows that Harden and Chris are the best players for him to play with.

It's also possible for him to go back to Europe, if he gets a really good guaranteed contract. The return for Houston for trading him would probably be a low first rounder plus a low second rounder.

12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I never considered Capela would go to Europe.

Contracts in Europe are smaller and they play only about 34 game in a season. I would not advise Capela
    to go for a $7M contract vs lesser competition as a means of earning $20-plus-Mil.

Teams would still question if Capela can do what he does in Europe vs NBA players and be worth $20M-plus.
    That’s assuming Capela starts posting up, shooting hook shots and 3-pointers.

Meanwhile players (7 footers that have been shooting 3-pointers thru high school) are coming out and will be
    starting to flood the market.

13. saleem

Good points. I think that would be a last resort type of thing. Just my gut instinct. I could be totally wrong.

14. Milos

Milos Member

Probably quite optimistic from HOU PoV, but after all, isn't OFF the season of dreams?

I just love AFA's game as bouncier, quicker, younger version of Ariza's 3&D
    He + Ennis = Ariza + Luc IMO

Clint is really starting to worry me
    D-rock has sold me that WCS has lost his spot in SAC
    He's not the lob finsher, rim protector, or glass cleaner that CC has become
    But he may actually be BETTER on perimeter DEF switching & keeping Gs in front of him

For PORT, they pay a first basically for 2 benefits:

- save combined $30M next 2 yrs
    10 now plus 20 next when SAC 2 exp a full year before ET + ML

- dump Evan Turner
    This guy reminds me so much of Doc's boy Austin Rivers
    Repeatedly rips up locker rooms bc he cannot accept he's nothing more than a fringe rotation guy
    They are done w him to the point they may pay his way out, they way OKC just did w Melo

topfive likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, an option I wasn’t considering; but plausible.

If I’m the agent of Capela I would not advise it. I would probably have him hold out since Houston thinks they (we)
    are so close to winning the title and they (we) need Capela playing in order to win. That’s the Capela leverage.

But I would not advise holding out beyond December. It’s also a way of forcing a trade to a team in contention that
    might want to re-sign him going into the summer (at this upcoming trading deadline). Where he might feel more
    appreciated. DeAndre Jordan getting $23 million from Dallas while having the same skill set as Capela has set
    up this situation, IMO.

Personally I would recommend to Capela to just sign the QO and get to playing with the right mind set if he doesn’t
    want what the Rockets are offering........and if he thinks he can get more next summer. Just play for the one yr &
    become an unrestricted free agent.

If I’m the Rockets I would stay firm and don’t budge. Exercise the fall back plan of acquiring a center for temporary
    reasons, until Capela comes to play. He will play hard since he is auditioning for a new gig elsewhere.
    Add Zhou Qi and Hartenstein for the time being as well. That’s just me though. Thanks saleem.

saleem likes this.
  16. saleem

The Capela leverage is something, I hadn't considered. It's a good point. Yep, the Rockets should stay firm and don't budge. It's too bad that Wright is always unfit, otherwise he would be a great fall back plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Rockets offer Capela a 2 yr 40 M contract, even though they know he hasn't played up to that level. The second year could result in a S/T, if the Rockets want to move him. The chances of that appear to be slim though. Thanks as always Apache.

17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Fredette looked good. Are you watching Jon Diebler with the Scarlet & Gray?

ESPN

18. eman

eman Contributing Member

Have not seen

19. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, I’m guessing Capela will play hard in hopes of being traded by the trading deadline. In a way telling the
    Rockets you need to pay me $20-plus-M a year......because some other team like Dallas will. If you
    aren’t willing to pay up in the summer......then trade me or lose me for nothing.

Rockets will need to think long and hard. It gives the Rockets until then to see how Hartenstein and Zhou
    Qi are progressing (around that time). We all remember how poorly Capela was doing to start last season.
    He couldn’t get the timing down on those lob passes by CP3 and Harden.

But then he did get it.

20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Diebler was off with only 13 points; but he is so deadly from 3. You can’t leave him open.

I saw some of Fredette. Think he ended up with 30 pts.

Jarred Sullinger looked good. Wish we could sign him instead of Melo. Maybe.

*reason I mentioned Diebler is because he rights belong to the Rockets.

eman likes this.