1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

PHX pursuing Trevor Ariza (UPDATE: Ariza signs one-year, $15M deal with Phoenix)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by justtxyank, Jun 30, 2018.

1. Bravoexo

Bravoexo Member

Interest = $$

2. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

With Josh Jackson , three small forwards.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.hoopsrumors.com/2018/07/pacific-notes-stephenson-ariza-harrell-ferrell.html

The Suns contacted free agent forward Trevor Ariza in the first minute of free agency, he says in a video interview tweeted by the team. The former Rocket agreed to change teams after receiving a one-year, $15MM offer from Phoenix. “Sometimes things run their course and it’s time for a new start and new beginning,” Ariza explained. “There were a lot of options for me, but the one that … showed the most promise was this one. I’m excited to be here. I’m happy to be here. It’s closer to home [in Los Angeles] for me.”

My agent calls me, tells me "A team will call you at 9:01." "Alright, cool. Who is it?" "They're just gonna call you. I'm not gonna tell you." We're in the car, almost home. It's a face time. I'm expecting a phone call. Weird number, must be one of these teams. I open it. It's Ryan & Pat Connelly. It was crazy. That's the first time I had a face time call by an organization.

You leave a good situation in Houston. Why Phoenix & why now?

Sometimes things run its course. Time for a new start & new beginning. There was a lot of options but the one that was most different, showed the most promise was this one. I'm excited to be here. Happy to be here. Closer to home for me. I'm excited & happy to be here.

What do you want to teach to the likes of Booker, Jackson & Bridges?

Teach is a cool word but I would say help. I want to be a part of it, part of the growth, part of the turnaround. I'm older but growing together & helping them become the players they'll become.

[...]

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

"showed most promise" = "showed me the most money"

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Congratulations, you're my new GM.

RasaqBoi and Deuce like this.
  6. Vivi

Vivi Member

Can't really hate on Trevor, i like him too much...but kinda sucks to see him end up in Phoenix when he could still be here.

7. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

What exactly did Houston plan on offering him?

8. Newlin

Newlin Member

No hard feelings.

But, he is now dead to me.

Blurr#7 and No Chill Rocket like this.
  9. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

I have zero ill-will in this case. Phoenix made a stupidly high offer and Ariza was rational to take it. The Rockets wanted him and he didn't leave on bad terms with the team, but with our limited space there was no way we could offer anything close to what the Suns offered and feel good about it. I'm still not sure even the Suns should feel good about it.

Jayzers_100 and saleem like this.
  10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

That's a good question. Part of me wonders if they were just flat out ok with him leaving. Knowing that Melo was likely going to be available.

My speculation, but I think the Rockets felt there was a good chance they would be able to keep Luc Mbah a Moute. He spurned them, and they made a save with Ennis.

Perhaps going into the offseason, the plan was to 1) Get Melo and 2) Keep Moute.

11. H-Town Melo

H-Town Melo Member

I def think they didn't plan on losing both Ariza and LMM and Ariza priced out so I think they get it. Morey def had an eye on OKC's tax situation and knew he had an Ace up his sleeve if he lost Ariza.

napalm06 likes this.
  12. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I've said this and I absolutely believe this, I honestly think he left absolutely every bit of fight he had on the court game 7.

He played so hard and so focused defensively. He laid everything he had on the line and it wasn't good enough.

It's why I think looked so defeated and I think it's ultimately why he left.

I'm glad he got his money but I expect a big drop off this year.

His 0-fer doesn't bother me. He went 0-fer because he was gassed all game and wouldn't quit and didn't have the legs.

#412 BigMaloe, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    D-rock, KlutchQT, Blurr#7 and 4 others like this.
  13. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

im thinking something the same. after being overworked in each year here, maybe he wants to take it easy for one year, then come back strong with a good team next offseason. i knock him at all for that, esp for 15m.

14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Maybe an element of Trevor knowing his role in Houston was about to take a hit one way or another. Knowing his own body is losing steam, like another poster said being so gassed at the end of WCF...Maybe he knows he said only got 1 year left. Knowing Tucker had replaced him as the 3/D wing. Not wanting to tie up good friendships in it and seeing a pretty greased up slide out. Honestly I don’t fault him. Little strange but stranger things.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

The margin for error was small. It got VERY small without CP3. You are talking a 4 all star team vs a 1 all star team with CP out.

The ONLY chance the Rockets had, was EFFORT. Effort defensively. And because of that it killed their legs offensively.

Just need more talent. More "playoff worthy" rotation players.

D-rock, YOLO and BigMaloe like this.
  16. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's a great line to use for interviews and salary negotiation.

17. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Tucker was playing at the 4, and less at the 3, so there was a role for him. He knew that the Rockets couldn't pay him, or get another star.

D-rock likes this.
  18. No Chill Rocket

19. seeingred

seeingred Member

I think Trevor thought, "Man, i can't play another 100+ game season. Let me go somewhere I know i can hit the beach as soon as the regular season ends."

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. topfive

topfive CF OG

Had Trevor waited a few days, he likely could have signed with the Lakers for roughly the same amount. LeBron and Magic would've loved to have a stable veteran presence on that team. It would have been a major coup for the Lakers to have Trevor as a counterbalance to all the knuckleheads they ended up signing. And he could have been playing in his hometown for a team that actually means something to someone.

#420 topfive, Jul 22, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2018
    D-rock, hakeem94 and baller4life315 like this.