1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Mild Rant] Why do people who don't play sports think becoming a pro-athlete is easy?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by plutoblue11, Jul 17, 2018.

1. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Here this alot, but I think alot of us know as former athletes, sports junkies, and basketball fans know that a person cannot simply be given a god's body to become a pro-athlete, even more so a successful one.

Not to say it doesn't help, but one must consider that many pro-athletes have been playing sports, since early childhood. Even, less than 8% of those who played in high school are likely to play in college or a semi-pro league, just as even fewer of than that 8% will play professional.

Someone mentioned Tom Brady saying he got lucky and that any other similar player as he was in college. Yet, don't realize he was talented enough to go a very good college and get drafted from into MLB. While, also heard several people say or write anyone could dominate, if they had LeBron's size and athleticism or Serena Williams.

I never thought sports was a cakewalk for anyone, in general unless someone was really good at it. Even, the athletes blessed with god-like powers still have develop their skills, integrate them into the concept of a team, and train longer and harder as they move up the scale of competition. I feel like sports are one of the few occupations in the world where meritocracy actually exists. One doesn't necessarily need to have outstanding athleticism or an extraordinary body to succeed in a sport.

What do you guys think?

2. Reeko

Reeko Member

What kind of people are u talking to who think becoming a pro athlete is easy? That’s the dumbest thing I’ve ever heard.

Pro athletes put in so much work to get to where they are, it’s insane. Most people don’t have the discipline or the drive. They don’t have the work ethic.

Lebron combines his size, strength, and athleticism with a ton of skill and extremely high BBIQ. That is what makes him special. I wouldn’t be able to talk sports with these type of people, the delusion would be too much for me.

3. Boki4MvP

Boki4MvP Member

I don’t think I’ve ever heard anyone say becoming a pro athlete is easy. The closest thing I’ve heard is people who don’t play basketball ask why basketball players can’t make every free throw since they are pro.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  4. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I could’ve been a professional golfer or played in the NBA. I just decided to move into insurance instead. Just a sexier career IMHO.

5. juanm34

juanm34 Member

You need some new friends Op...

6. jamisonrocket

jamisonrocket Member

If the purge was real, people that saying being a pro athlete is easy would be my first target

Lawlruschang and rocketman12 like this.
  7. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

People who claim that are usually these guys. 4 touchdowns in one game!

[​IMG]

DonKnock, RocketWalta, Yukyuk and 2 others like this.
  8. Buck Turgidson

#8 Buck Turgidson, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  9. rocketseagles07

I have a theory on why, but it goes into race and people trying to downplay the effort it takes and I won’t get into it. Either way it’s not easy to become a professional athlete. Yea they make too much and some of em are divas but it’s just not

DonKnock, Lawlruschang and CometsWin like this.
  10. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

I played in a league with Tierre Brown. Yes, that Tierre Brown. Dude was schooling D1 players left and right. People don’t understand, you are not the same physically or mentally as any professional athlete.

11. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

No one in this thread has ever come across people who say, If I had his body, if I played on this AAU team, played at this school, I could have been in the league?

I hear it a lot playing pickup. It hasn't been from people who don't play sports, it's from people that played in high school/college or a little overseas. I don't think the OP's question is that far-fetched.

12. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Agreed! BUT...Lavar Ball for one, who recently said he could have taken LeBron James 1 on 1 because 'nobody could hold him'. Which, to your point, means to me that Lavar finally did say the dumbest thing anyone has ever heard. To think he could take ANY NBA player is farfetched. But, nooo, he had to single out arguably the grea
    It's not far fetched at all. I don't know if Lavar Ball's recent statement that he could have taken LeBron 1 on 1 back in the day was the incentive for the OP's post, but, ya delusional people think like that.

For myself, I too could have made it in the NBA. Only lacked 3 things: talent, height, and athleticism. Other than that...I was IN!

To answer the OP's question, though, the tagline has the answer. It's people who never played anything beyond maybe high school ball. Awfully easy to still think you coulda been someone. After all, you dropped 20 in that one game against you know who from upstate, right? You coulda been a contender!

Bad enough in the NBA. In the NFL, if people who thought like this actually tried, serious bodily harm would likely be the result. It's like slapping a bear...until just at that moment, you don't realize how superior the bear is to you, but then, of course, it's too late. Kind of like this: No, you couldn't go pro. That requires...being upright.

#12 BigDog63, Jul 17, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  13. theoldblood

theoldblood Member

Professionals make it look easy, when in fact the worst player in the NBA could destroy most ball players with ease. Hell, even D1 college athletes are considered to be great, it's just the pros are a completely different level.

People that make assumptions like that either A.) Don't play sports or B.) See something on TV and believe it's easy because someone who has been training their entire lives is doing it.

Torn n Frayed likes this.
  14. Reeko

Reeko Member

yeah, I’ve heard that, and I’m always like

[​IMG]

I’m not gonna lie, sometimes I wonder where I’d be if I were 6’8 instead of 6’2.

What I have never heard is people who don’t play sports talking about how becoming a pro athlete is easy.

15. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It is still a fact that a large part of the "difficulties" of being a pro athlete is that god-given physical talent. Without that, you won't make it no matter how hard you try. But this is true for most forms of arts. In-born talent is a necessity. Then you have to work hard to hone your skills.

But to be fair, a lot of people in this world work much harder than the athletes and make a tiny fraction of what those players make. So I guess the "easy" impression comes from that.

napalm06 likes this.
  16. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I would say it comes from the seemingly talentless giants like Big Country Bryant Reeves or Frederic Weis. If you were a slow, 7'2" guy that could trot from end to end without falling and stand near the basket, you could probably get drafted.

17. AirPower

AirPower Member

I think the answer is 42.

plutoblue11 and Torn n Frayed like this.
  18. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Lavar Ball could easily have taken Lebron or MJ. He just decided to do greater things with his life like create the next GOAT in Lonzo and Melo. Not only that, he has single handedly created the juggernaut #BBB which is giving Under Armour and Nike a run for their money. A much bigger legacy than MJ, Lebron or Curry.

19. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

came here hoping for an extreme rant. thread is too mild, I am disappoint. btw, pro athletes get their money for nothing and their chicks for free.

roslolian likes this.
  20. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

They think it’s easy because pros make it look easier that it actually is.