1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Correa placed on disabled list

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by TheresTheDagger, Jun 28, 2018.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

He was absolutely playing like an mvp before his injury last year. Also, he has developed into one heck of a leader in the clubhouse. But yes, before his injury he was putting up mvp numbers. I saw you counter to another poster that “availability” is all part if it. That is some weak sauce argument when we are talking about the performance of a 22 year old.

2. Nook

Nook Member

Correa had extremely high expectations placed on him.

I don't see how anyone can complain about his 2017 season, he had an OPS of .950 as a SS and that was missing 50 games. Had he played the full season, he would have pushed 40 homers and 45 doubles with a 315 average.

However, this season he has been good but not elite. He is still one of the top 10 most valuable players in the league based on age and team control.

If you go by baseball reference, he is most similar to........... Cal Ripken Jr.

I doubt he ever approaches a career like Alex Rodriguez. However perhaps people should consider that A-Rod is the greatest SS in 130 years of baseball.... he only hit 700 homer runs and averaged 46 homers a year for an entire decade.

3. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Correa will surpass ripken offensively. Cal had a few amazing seasons with the bat but quite a few pedestrian ones too. .323/34 was his mvp year and Correa probably surpasses those numbers at 22 if he stays healthy last year. Ripken was in his early 30’s in his mvp year. The next year, Ripken was awful. Slumped from may through august and went on like a 200 ab streak without a homer. Defensively, Ripken is almost untouchable but already Correa is one of the best in the league.

4. Buck Turgidson

Ripken won 2 MVPs, the first at age 22. I've always wondered how his career after age 30 would have gone if he had taken some days off earlier.

Tomstro likes this.
  5. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

True he won the mvp in 1983 when they won the series and he was the darling of the sport. His numbers were softish for the award but it was the early 80’s and no other ss was hitting like that yet. My bad.

6. SuraGotMadHops

I heard it's vertebrae-on-vertebrae

7. Buck Turgidson

He led the league in WAR and was 5th in OPS+, Eddie Murray was 5th and 2nd and finished 2nd for MVP. Not a bad pair to have anchoring your lineup.

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Backs are tricky... far trickier in basketball and football, but tricky nonetheless.

If they do everything correctly, and time the rest/rehab process, he could very well show no deficiencies or lingering effects from this. One slightest over-tweak, or early strain, and it can become debilitating again.

I have no problem with the over-cautious route. The Astros are going to be needing him 100% in a post-season they are almost assured of making.

9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

But then it all went to ****. Like in ‘88 when they started 0-21. Of course, there was the “why not” season of 1989 that surprised us. The strength of the orioles in the 70’s and early 80’s was their pitching (even on that WS team of ‘83). Aside from Mussina and a flash in the pan or two, who has been a good consistent pitcher for the orioles since the early 80’s?

10. MrBear1

MrBear1 Contributing Member

Softish how? Cal lead both leagues in fWAR that year man.

Tomstro likes this.
  11. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

If Correa were willing to roid up, and if he could get away with it, he could match Arods numbers. It’s an impossible comparison to make with Correa doing it clean

Rockets FTW and Htown Stros like this.
  12. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

No it’s really not. I’m sorry that reading comprehension is hard for you, maybe nuance is over your head, but Incase a second chance is warranted I will type really slow so that you can try to keep up...
    Correa is really really good
    I thought at one point in time Correa might sign the largest contract in baseball history and might be a generational player
    Correa is not currently on pace to be a generational player.
    He’s about to finish his age 23 season without putting up an mvp type season.
    Note- MVP type seasons are easily identifiable bc, at the end of every year, we vote for the mvp! Yes really, every year even. And Correa will have been up 4 years and received just ever so slightly more MVP votes than I have! Really it’s all true, look it up even.
    Instead, Correa is merely on track to be a hall of famer. Just a typical, run of the mill, top 2% of all players all time HOF. Poor guy.
    He just doesn’t look like a top 1/10th of 1 percenter which is the generations I lined up.
    But, by all means, feel free to use both of your firing synapsis to read this post as saying OMG, Wulaw Horn said Correa sucks.

13. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

He also may not be on the DL right now if he did this.

14. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Was 22 year old Arod roided up. He wasn't putting up 50+ HR. He didn't even have 40hr in his age 20 season. If you look at his career you can see a jump when he goes to Texas.

15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Alex Rodriguez was Muscular during his High School Days. Alex looks like he was doing illegal steroids during his age 17-18. Carlos Correa was so skinny at age 17 looking naturally like a teen. Carlos works hard naturally and never takes shortcuts. Carlos Father is his biggest Influence, in Working Hard, No Shortcuts. Alex never had a Father, never showed him right or wrong, any guidance. Always Cheating to have an easy path. Money is his Greed. Steroids was his path to destruction. Media defaced him and made him look selfish and Greedy calling him A-Roid. Scott Boras was his Evil Agent that led him to Rangers Millions of Dollars leaving the Mariners. Alex wanting to be traded to the Yankees. Won a World Series 2009 Finally hitting. During a Game in the Postseason. Infield runout Pitcher caught the ball tried to tag Alex, Alex knocked the ball out of his glove. Bad look for Alex. Hall of Fame Voters not interested in Voting for him.

16. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

giphy-1.gif

17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yeah you’ve backtracked on what you said originally. Now you’re just typing crap.

18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yep i guess in comparison to todays mvp’s numbers it looks a bit soft but then you realize that no other shortstop could hit like him at that time. Don’t get me wrong, Cal was one of the greatest. However, like Yaz,he had some amazing offensive seasons mixed with some pretty mediocre ones during his prime. He played everyday and until his legendary slump in 1992, batted 3rd in the lineup always. Went back to hitting 3rd in 1993 and for a few more years after that. Some seasons his offensive production didn’t reflect that advantage in opportunities that he had. Some seasons it did.

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Not sure what I just read... but not going to make this mistake again.

Nook likes this.
  20. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

These sort of posts aren’t making your stance look any less egregious.

BigM and Tomstro like this.