1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

It's Official : The Rockets have gotten BETTER this offseason

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by GranvilleWaders, Jul 12, 2018.

1. RocketsFido

RocketsFido Member

I, too, don't believe in playing defense.

daywalker02 likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Well you have to take Morey into account in your analysis.

He was the one who signed Ariza and Luc in the first place. If he lets them go for nothing and signs MCW and Ennis instead dont you think there is a reason for it?

In Lucs case how do you know he is back 100%? We have no information on how his shoulder is like everybody just assumes he will be back to his regular season form. Morey and his team are analytics nerds if they would prefer chucker Melo vs 3rd in defensive rating Luc for the same money there has to be a reason for it.

In this respect, the OP's analysis is better than yours because his conclusion is the same as the Rox's team of experts.

3. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't think that's what the OP meant.

4. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

If we sign Melton & Melo and they both prove to be assets then I'll agree with the title of this thread.

5. BackdoorHarden

Isiah signed for the minimum

Who would you rather have , Isiah or Nanananau?

6. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

The numbers are clear!

7. BigggReddd

BigggReddd Member

I'd honesty rather have De'Melo Meltony

Chamillionaire likes this.
  8. RESINator

RESINator Member

Wow you're really downplaying ariza. ariza is worth 10x the player Gerald green is by his defense alone. Ariza has consistently been the best rockets defender since he joined the team.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Honestly , we might have . And that's without seeing if we get melo and how any young players grow through the season .

We gave up some veteran experience . And we likely gave up some shooting . But both players we lost were on the decline . And one is coming off an injury that mentally destroyed him .

The players we have signed so far are a bit smaller . But are WAY more athletic . They do not have the defensive IQ or discipline of Ariza or Luc .... but they have just as much defensive potential due to their athleticism . Also , neither guy is small . Luc and Ariza were bigger . But they were also slower .

If we get melo and he pans out ( huge risk move btw , but only for 1 year.) then the team is definitely conceivably better .

If Melton pans out ... then we could be better

If qi or hartenstein or by some miracle Nanu gives us better backup production than Tarik and Nene ..... then the team might be better.

I think overall we are going to get more athletic . The only guy that will decline in that aspect is CP and we can let him rest again because now we have Melton and Ennis and MCW . Those guys are likely better ball-handlers and creators than Ariza for sure and maybe even Luc . ( who did nothing the entire playoffs )

One final point about getting more athletic .... you have to remember how good Harden and CP3 make other guys look . James has made Many a scrub look good . If you have some athleticism , James can feed you easy opportunities.

Once again we will go as James Harden goes .... and hopefully some of our moves will pan out in terms of being a valuable role player by the playoffs . Oh and also we have the flexibility to trade Ryan . His contract will turn into a positive asset next year .

10. BackdoorHarden

Why would Ryno 's contract be positive asset next year?

Dwight
    Lin
    Faried
    Melo

All expiring contracts this year

11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I would still say in general that expiring contracts have some positive value . This year because of teams' cap situations it didn't work out that way .

But The Dwight trade this year isn't bad for ATL . They get a backup C ( who sucks ) but they get a good shooter in Marco Bellineli who they can flip to a contender at the deadline ... and they also got a second rounder . Plus Dwight is a probable locker room cancer . Anderson is great .

Melo would have value , but teams know that OKC is in tax HELL if they keep him . Anderson probably won't be boning us that badly . Plus , the details of that trade haven't happened yet . It's possible that OKC might dump him cheaply .

There is a situation where a team with a decent , but overpaid player may want to clear cap space for the upcoming free agent class . Flipping Anderson and that unamed player could be mutually beneficial to both teams .

12. crossover

crossover Contributing Member

This thread is so awful; can't tell if we're being trolled.
    • You can't compare PER 36 for players who actually play 36 minutes a night vs. guys who play <10min. So many 3rd stringers would be superstars if you did.
    • Look up Luc Mbah a Moute's +/- impact on defense. It's unreal. He got injured and suddenly what he did for this team didn't matter? Houston fans smh.
    • Ariza likewise did so much and is a 2-way player. Can't believe we're talking about GG, Ennis, and freaking MCW as equal replacements. Hopefully one of the two pans out and steps up, but come on.

Reeko, hvic, Hakeemtheking and 2 others like this.
  13. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Ariza is getting older.

14. jayfree

jayfree Member

I like to see the glass half full on this as well.

Defense:
    C Capela
    PF Tucker
    SF Ennis
    SG Harden
    PG Paul

Offense and small ball:
    C Tucker
    PF Melo (we are getting him)
    SF Gordon
    SG Harden
    PG Paul

We can mix and match

C Capela/Tucker/Nene
    PF Tucker/Melo/Ennis/Anderson
    SF Melo/Ennis/Green/Gordon/MCW
    SG Harden/Gordon/Melton/MCW
    PG Paul/Harden//Melton

We have guys that can literally play all over the court

15. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

never underestimate the power of harden to make role players better and cp3's.
    we will be better with new additions.period.

GranvilleWaders likes this.
  16. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Bro don’t you start to make sense on this site.. don’t do it.

hakeem94, GranvilleWaders and farhen like this.
  17. farhen

farhen Member

how does signing MCW gets us better? Man are you on crack or something?

saleem likes this.
  18. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

He's a few months older than Green...

Air Langhi likes this.
  19. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'll admit it. The formatting kept me going.

hakeem94 likes this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

(Get paid on someone else's dime and then return)
    Sounds like #NewMath to me. ;)

Oh, and Ariza's durability IS important. I value that trait highly in today's NBA. I am not sure people realize how important that is. "The best ability is availability"